Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

Help a supermod to-deh!

I'm continuing to try and improve the .deh for the Boom version of Immoral Conduct. The weapons are awesome, but really a little too much for the monsters. So, I've been improving the monsters :) It's mega important to try and balance the gameplay as close to Doom's perfect standard as possible.

Chaingunner now has a full 200 hit points o_O. Well, Doomguy can get even tougher than that with armor so why shouldn't an armored Chaingunner be that strong?!? I gave Wolfie 80, but reduced Lost Souls to 60. I'm trying to turn the Spectre into something like PSX Doom's Nightmare Spectre. I gave it 280 hit points (double the Demon's IIRC) and increased it's speed to 20. Does anyone know the actual speed of a demon/spectre on Nightmare skill? Also, does anyone know how, if possible, I can increase the speed of the Spectre's attack, as in Nightmare skill?

I made the Barons and the Knights each twice as tough, and increased missile damage to 21 and missile speed to 1310720. IMO this brings these two up to scratch with some of the more offensive monsters such as the Mancubus. Trouble is, the Baron fireball is now much tougher than the close-up 'scratch'. How can I increase the damage that does? Can I at all?

I use wordpad for this, so please answer in (var)(val) format! Cheers.

I don't have much deh experience, so I'll leave that to others.
the demons move exactly twice as fast in nm.

DEMOn said:

I don't have much deh experience, so I'll leave that to others.
the demons move exactly twice as fast in nm.

yep, they don't have a double speed entry though, their moving and attack frame durations are just cut in half.

I think you can change the melee attack damage by modifying the 'damage' flag for the monster, but I haven't actually tried though.

As for the Spectre attack speed, just decrease the duration of the attack frame, but that might affect the Demon attack speed as well, since I believe they use the same frame.

pritch said:

Does anyone know the actual speed of a demon/spectre on Nightmare skill? Also, does anyone know how, if possible, I can increase the speed of the Spectre's attack, as in Nightmare skill?

The speed in Nightmare/fast monsters is 3 times the speed it is normally. Hence the normal demon has speed 30 in Nightmare, which is still slower than the player's speed of 50. (setting it to 20 will actually make it faster than you on skill 5/fast monsters, so you have been warned...)

To increase the attack speed, you can reduce the duration of the attack frames.

How would the altered melee damage and attack frames look in the deh itself?

'Damage = x'? I'm not sure of dehacked variables, and dehacked itself won't run on here.

Hey this brings me to a question i've been plodding away on about dehacked, I've got the timing and rate of fire just right, but I want to make the Cyberdemon fire BFG blasts instead of rockets. Getting him to pause, fire one shot, then keep moving was easy, but actually making him fire the BFG is proving harder than I thought. Any suggestions??

Unfortunately it's not possible to make a monster fire a BFG, as the codepointer doesn't exist. (you can replace the rocket with the BFG, but then you'd lose the rocket from the game) If you're using ZDoom, you can make him fire the railgun instead, using the MonsterRail codepointer and setting his missile damage to 100.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Unfortunately it's not possible to make a monster fire a BFG

Really? There are BFG Troopers in STRAIN.

yeah I was gonna say that. I knew i'd seen it somewhere.

Grazza said:

Really? There are BFG Troopers in STRAIN.

It used a fake BFG shot. I don't even know whether it did the secondary blast or not. The problem is that it costs one other kind of missile.

Graf Zahl said:

I don't even know whether it did the secondary blast or not.

There are traces from the BFG Troopers. Warp to map25, IDKFA, IDDQD and go through the red key door to see for yourself.

Some genius in the Doom community needs to make a proper readme for Dehacked :)

To make a monster shoot a BFG you just take a monster fireball and change it to the BFG shot. Duh.

Well I don't think I want to replace any existing fireballs. I'll have to experiment some more. Besides wouldn't changing another fireball simply make the ball look but not act like the bfg??

Didn't I say something about this before? Just use the codepointer on the third deathframe for the bfg shot. That's the tracer codeptr.

Use3D said:

Well I don't think I want to replace any existing fireballs. I'll have to experiment some more. Besides wouldn't changing another fireball simply make the ball look but not act like the bfg??

If you use the copy feature (press 'c' and enter the relevant thing numbers) then all the details will be copied across from the bfg shot to the rocket. (I've done this with other projectiles and it works fine - although this was copying to non-projectile things for spawning in ZDoom). This will of course make the rocket launcher fire bfg shots as well as the bfg, so you'll need to copy the other way as well. (which leaves the 2 weapons reversed, but functional)

Hm.

Melee damage can't be changed. You can't make a Revenant cause more/less damage. You could, however, add more code pointers in the middle of his attack so you are actually attacked more than once (IE, the codepointer is referrenced more than once) and you could double or triple the damage.

Projectile damage can be changed by messing with the Damage, uh, thing! This doesn't effect monsters EXCEPT for the Lost Soul. The lost souls act like a projectile in their attack frames so changing it will change how much damage they do.

As for that BFG thing, just change the frames of the projectile they're already shooting (IE, if it's an imp, change the fireballs) to the frames of the BFG. It'll end up going over the normal BFG codepointers and stuff. Alternately you could just add in the codepointers to the projectile they're throwing but you know, whatever.

You can't really change how monsters act in Nightmare!, I don't think. Demons are faster but Archies aren't... don't think you can do anything about that. Although... you could in ZDoom using:

if (GameSkill() == SKILL_VERY_HARD)
{
 SetActorProperty(tid,APROP_SPEED,newspeed);
}

Nanami is the greatest ever anything.

She's about to tell me exactly what to type into a .deh to double Baron melee damage so I don't have to go look it all up =)

pritch said:

She's about to tell me exactly what to type into a .deh to double Baron melee damage so I don't have to go look it all up =)

If you want my opinion, it sounds like melee damage is not effected by the projectile damage. So the answer is simple:

Damage is 100 but melee seems to be 50

To double damage of melee:

Change projectile damage to 50, add another frame with 0 length that shoots a projectile. Almost immediately after the first, so they're practically seamless. Two missles now do 50+50, and melee attacks twice and does 50+50

Edit: This is where you bow to me.