Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jaego

New to this whole doom thing

I'm not really new, i used to play the game like 5-6 years ago and i didn't realize this many people were still into the thing.. :\

What's making you guys so dedicated to it?
I just haven't gotten it..... Can you get like better skins that are more realistic that makes the game more exciting... or what the heck is it???

jaego said:

I just haven't gotten it..... Can you get like better skins that are more realistic that makes the game more exciting... or what the heck is it???

I guess most of us just think it's a fun, enjoyable game no matter how "dated" the graphics seem (although if you want eye candy jDoom can provide that). For many of us it was one of the first games that really immersed us in its world, that had such a grip on us it just never really let go. It can range from eerily atmospheric to harrowingly action-packed, and has nearly unmatched gameplay in the FPS genre.

It's also one of the most easily customizable games out there, which means it's easy to make new levels, alterations, etc., without having to dedicate colossal amounts of time and effort to it (unless you want to of course ;), and the continuing flow of new levels and such keeps the experience fresh.

Doom is a unique game. It offered each of us an great high when we first played it. Perhaps we keep trying to attain that high again. I don't know. What I do know is that it is a fun game that has the capacity to have a great atmosphere and that makes for an addictive formula.

jaego said:

I'm not really new, i used to play the game like 5-6 years ago and i didn't realize this many people were still into the thing.. :\

Gameplay - fast, furious, huge amounts of carnage - basically all the good stuff that doesn't appear in modern FPS's.

Maps - maps, maps, tons of maps, relatively easy to make maps and other resources to be used in maps - gives the game a virtually infinite lifespan. (and how many games have that nowadays?)

Source ports - these are a more recent thing, and have added new dimensions to the game - new features, better graphics etc.

Doom, unlike a lot of ten year old games has been changing, or "adapting" if you will, almost since it’s realised. Even before the source code came out, while it wasn’t the first game to allow editing, it was insanely popular (doom 2 was one of the best selling games of all time), and people from all walks of life had an interest in it. Including those with a more creative side. Since id made the (very wise) decision to allow map editing, it wasn’t too difficult to build and run maps. It wasn’t long before there where thousands of maps all over the internet for both doom and doom II, you could almost play a different map every day! Then came dehacked and the TC age began! It was almost like getting a new game for free! And it allowed people to be more flexible (to a degree) with there mods.

And finally, the source code. Even if you ignore all the extra fetures like mouse look, GL support, coloured lighting, ect. There’s still the fact that it fixes almost all the old bugs (like map30 bug), removes vis plane limits, even easer to edit, run on XP, allows better multiplayer support (like joining mid game).

Source ports have made doom insanely easy to edit! If you’ve ever tried to make your own 3D model you’d know It’s not easy, but since doom uses sprites, it’s a snap! You don’t even need to be much of an artist! A lot of people borrow resources from other games, or touch up existing doom beasties. Not to mention that the new ports allow more flexible map editing. (including slopes, and floor over floor… although not in the same port ATM).

Source ports are most defiantly the main reason doom is still as popular as it is. (it’s why you’ll get ridiculed if you’re silly enough to say “source ports ruin doom”).

what really attacts me to the world of Doom are two things:

mapping, and doom's playability.

I really love doom's gameplay, its fast action, very fun, and also I like the search for key to progress farther gameplay. Some people call it boring, but imo its adds many different challages.

and mapping is very easy and fun. in fact, it doesn't take long to make one at all.

I agree with a lot of the points above, and would just like to add one. No matter how good you get, the game is still challenging.

Thanks to the game's simplicity and the monsters' stupidity, you can pack enormous numbers of monsters into a map, and it still plays smoothly and the player still has a fighting chance.

Also, the Nightmare skill level (apparently originally introduced as a bit of a joke, and never intended to be playable) means that you can take pretty much any map and make it a challenge by playing on skill 5. I don't know of any other games that have anything quite like it - normally, the top skill level just has the enemies moving faster (and/or with better AI), or features one shot instakill "realism".

I dunno what makes me dedicated... probably the occasional orgies with fraggl... I mean occasional orgies of fragging.

I play Doom for many reasons. Balance for one. A well done Doom level blows any other game out of the water. Also, the action is fast, the game can be picked up and played.

It's a simple game. I'd rather master and play through a simple game over and over compared to playing a complicated game, beating it, and never touching it again.

I barely ever play add-ons. Just the original released levels. I play all versions of Doom, and think that Doom is a work of art. Perfect in every game. So what if the game looks dated? It doesn't effect the game's playability and how enjoyable it is.

The basics of the gameplay are simple, yet still provide room for the player to devise clever strategies to deal with the situations that arise. The weapons are straight-forward, yet have quirks that can be exploited, such as fire accurate bursts with the chaingun by tapping the fire key, or making clever use of the BFG's radiation spray. It doesn't use any fancy-pants graphics acceleration crap, so I can run it no problem even though my video card is shit. And I love the dull-witted hordes of monsters. Contrary to what today's game designers seem to think, I do NOT want "Fewer monsters but smarter ones". Ok, maybe smarter ones are good, but I want hordes dammit! >:D

I like doom because it's doom. My brother would say the same.

Oh and because of all these ports and editing tools.

I don't play Doom and I don't understand why anyone would still want to play it. I'm just here for the trolling.

Hey, I like any game that sets you down on a taken over Martian lunar base and then encourages you to kill anything and everthing in your path. You just can't go wrong with a gameplay premise like that, and with Doom and Doom2 it shows.

Yeah, I'm with Danarchy, for the most part. I don't really play Doom anymore either, I'm just here to flame people and also to admire the ingenuity and drive of many of the source port authors. And, of course, because I have a lot of friends here. I have a lot of enemies, too, but it's hard to avoid when you're a nazi dominatrix turbo slut.

the_Danarchist said:

I don't play Doom and I don't understand why anyone would still want to play it.

We all have our likes and disslikes, sure thats original and old, yeah, but it pretty much sums it up.
I play it for playing it, cause I enjoy it, though I haven't played in a while cause I've been too busy with Sonic... :D

Katarhyne said:

...avoid when you're a nazi dominatrix turbo slut.

You said the magic "s" word!

DC

jaego said:

For a start, great gameplay doesn't age. Ever.

Also there are people making Doom better graphically and feature-wise all the time. Download ZDoom, I think you'll be impressed.

jaego said:

I'm stuck on DOS, so I can't play all the new games, that are much better than DOOM, cause they have better skins and awesome realism.