Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Speedmapping Returns

SargeBaldy informed me over IRC that his Speedmapping will be taking place on Sunday or Monday, depending on your time zone. Now, just to make sure I've got this right: it will be held at 1 PM Monday Australia time, which is 8 PM Sunday Pacific Daylight time, which is 11 PM Sunday Eastern Daylight time, which is 4 AM Monday Greenwich Mean Time. If I haven't mentioned a time zone you're in, figure it out yourself.

Bloodshedder said:

If I haven't mentioned a time zone you're in, figure it out yourself.

Aw forget it.

Oh boy, speedmapping. I love speedmapping. Maybe I'll even participate this time. I hope this one is better than the last speedmapping contest (one level and five boxes).

AirRaid said:

I would complain about the whole 4AM thing, but it's past that time now...

it's only temporary. aussies have been excluded every time, and deathz0r and 5hfifty both seemed interested in doing speedmapping, so here's their one chance to try doing it at a decent hour :) i did realize that messes things up for you europeans, but meh :P can't get it perfect for everyone.

Bah, I've always wanted to do a proper map for speedmapping. It's always been around dinner time for me so i could never do it but 4am? WTF?

Why couldn't you have moved it to satureday, I wouldn't being up late for speedmapping sature night, but sunday night, no way...

Torn said:

Why couldn't you have moved it to satureday, I wouldn't being up late for speedmapping sature night, but sunday night, no way...

sorry :/ it's just for one weekend, and at that time setting i really wouldn't expect ANYONE from europe to participate. for australians the normal time is 5 am i think, so i figure they deserve one chance to have a decent hour :)

Wouldn't having it at, say, 8am Australian time (11pm GMT) be better? Then everyone could join in :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Wouldn't having it at, say, 8am Australian time (11pm GMT) be better? Then everyone could join in :)

well, that's 3am for me, 6 am for the east coast :P i do on occasion (such as tonight) stay up that late, but i think 8am would be too early for the aussies i'm intending this speedmapping session for in particular. i asked some aussies what time would work best for them, and a few offered 1pm as a good enough time.

in all reality there's not really a perfect time that suits everyone perfectly. almost all doomers live in a) australia / new zealand b) the US / canada c) europe. there's no real way to make an optimal time for all three of those places. at best you can please 2/3, and since i live in B and want to help out A then i have to leave out C this time :P

next week i'll of course return back to the normal time.

err, oh, heh. well that would work too, but that would probably still be too late for some europeans further to the east. i've even heard complaints at the regular time that it's too late for some, because it can sometimes take a while to compile a set after the actual session is completed.

anyway, the plan was to strictly organize a speedmapping for people in australia / new zealand who normally wouldn't be able to participate at a normal hour. i'm sure a better possible time for all could have been scrounged up but i decided beforehand i'd take any time that worked both for me and the aussies who expressed an interest in participating.

Hm... that's 5am central european time. Sorry, too early for me.
But if this is just a one time only then I'll try to join in next week.

sargebaldy said:

anyway, the plan was to strictly organize a speedmapping for people in australia / new zealand who normally wouldn't be able to participate at a normal hour. i'm sure a better possible time for all could have been scrounged up but i decided beforehand i'd take any time that worked both for me and the aussies who expressed an interest in participating.

It better be a good theme. =P

Heh, I laugh everytime I see "arcy" in the latest posts.

I'd love to join the speedmapping fun for once, but I cant be bothered to figure out what time zone Im in ...not to mention tha I suck at mapping.

I can't speedmap for beans. Sometimes I can take up a couple hours just making a single room.

AgentSpork said:

I can't speedmap for beans. Sometimes I can take up a couple hours just making a single room.

same here, but speedmaps generally tend to sprawl a lot more :P the point isn't to show off your talents so much as to help you to learn how to map more efficiently :)

Kudos to the speedmappers for creating three non-mockery levels. Gameplay was pretty decent. The third map was very small, but still entertaining.

Arno said:

Kudos to the speedmappers for creating three non-mockery levels. Gameplay was pretty decent. The third map was very small, but still entertaining.

i agree. only 3 maps, but still quite a good session :)

the third map was by slowmotionhobo, it was his first map ever. he had to ask his brother how to make doors at one point :P