Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlackFyre

Imfinite space effect

If someone could explain how to create the infinite sky texture effect using a wad editor (preferably WadAuthor or such like), I would appreciate it. Thank you :)

infinate sky, hmm

You mean, so that the sky looks flat? Looking like a huge ceiling?

You want 'skywalls'.

Simple make an extra sector as a border to the room. Make sure the ceiling is the sky, and set it's ceiling hight = to the floor.

Or do you mean the infinite horizon effect used in map 2 of TNT3?

Or, if you use ZDoom, the Line_Horizon special has a better effect, as that makes the ground infinite as well. (simply place the special on a 1-sided line, no need for another sector)

Check out Hykkelbjerg's Doom Editing Pages (see Doomworld tutorial section) for a nice example on how to do this for vanilla Doom.

See Cyb, yet another classic Doom trick people still want to use :)

The bottom-line is this: Doom does not like it when two bordering sectors both have SKY as floor + ceiling texture, but it can do a double-SKY sector surrounded by another sector that has at least one non-SKY flat.

So, create sector A and insert a sector B inside A, and a sector C inside B. The texture 'flat' stands for any non-sky flat. Properties (ceiling/floor height, ceiing/floor flat):

A = (-248,-256, sky, flat)
B = (256, -256, sky, flat)
C= (256, 0, sky, sky)

Basically, A makes sure there is no surrounding 'wall texture' around your space. The mandatory non-sky textures are hidden by sinking those way below C's floor height.

If you want to insert a structure inside space C (such as, a spaceship), you still need to 'break' the double-SKY flat first by bordering it to a sector that has one non-sky flat. This 'break' sector (D) can either be sunk similar to B, or you just simple surround your structure with a very small outlining non-sky floor sector.

Mordeth said:

See Cyb, yet another classic Doom trick people still want to use :)

oh bugger :P

I use that all the time, since I learned it here... I do it differently, though. I don't have sectors within sectors, I just have a window sector, another sector outside it (like, if the window's 32,96, the outer one is 0,128), and then a third with the same floor/ceiling height (in that case, 0,0). Whenever possible, I also use the same sector refrences to save space.

For example, I have a level with multiple "floors" you can traverse by climbing "staircases." Those floors with windows can transfer any sound you make because they have the same sector numbers (BlackFyre, you can do that in WA; it's in linedef properties). It actually works out great. You start on floor 3, but as soon as you fire a shot at the sergeants in the first room, some arachnotrons on floor 4 hear you - and this helps later on, when those arachnotrons will teleport into a certain place on floor 2 once you kill their brethren there (clearing space for them to teleport into - assuming you haven't gone up there and killed them already).

netnomad312 said:
I use that all the time, since I learned it here... I do it differently, though. I don't have sectors within sectors, I just have a window sector, another sector outside it (like, if the window's 32,96, the outer one is 0,128), and then a third with the same floor/ceiling height (in that case, 0,0). Whenever possible, I also use the same sector refrences to save space.

Yes, but we weren't talking about windows but all-around sky. As in, you're walking inside a sky box.

I learned that by looking at map15 from the Hell 2 Pay demo. :)

(its also where i learned how to do invisible blocks too. :)