Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMinator

Multiplayer Setup

Hey, I'm a n00b to multiplayer DOOM, so can someone tell me step-by-step how to set it up to work and any other things I need to know?

If i were you i'd download the latest version of Zdaemon.

Go here and download the latest version http://www.zdaemon.org/.

The rest is pretty simple. Unzip the zdaemon stuff into your doom2 or doom folder and start it up. You should have a list of available servers once it's working. Everything else (eg starting a server you'll understand. Alternatively you could use csdoom http://csdoom.sourceforge.net/eng.html which is more easier to use and start servers with.

Just ask if you have problems. :)

If anyone else wishes to enlighten doominator on how a way to start a server or join one go right ahead (because i don't know any other ways ;-P)

You can use Doom Connector which is a specialized application to get online, chat, setup and join games using popular engines that support multiplayer (ZDaemon, Doom Legacy, Skulltag, etc). Beside custom configurable peer-to-peer games, you can also get a list of public servers to join in.

Unfortunately, the service just went down (for a still unknown reason) and we'll have to wait for the server administrator to get online and fix it. Sorry for that. (Its the first downtime since its release, so im not expecting this to happen regular base)

Skull Tag is sweet, I love Instagib :)

Doom Connector is back up and running, cause is still unknown, but have fun anyway :D

If I were u... id go to zone.com to play DooM ;) or bitch at Gherkin to get IPX working in DooM Connecter even faster :)
DooM2.exe = The Best :)

Whatever turns you on :P

Ok you're right, doom2.exe does rule em all, cannot deny that. But IPX emulation over TCP is much more laggy than, for example, ZDaemon or ZDoom. I will work on it though, just erm,... whenever i get time for it, heh :)

haha :) ya but its different lagg... I think I prefer some mouselagg to totally unfair pings where u cant aim... least on zone u point and aim and it hits, :) I just dont like the aim disability and ghosting of the server/client stuff, annoying as hell I tell ya :)

You now need:
CSDoom
ZDaemon
IDE (internet doom explorer)

I am amazed how ignorant a few around here can be lately. Is that on purpose or is it just a big lack of community knowledge? If someone makes a tutorial or other kind of Doom multiplayer instructions site, do it right and at least list ALL of it (and be objective)!

And im not talking about links to the Doom Connector service (which I could about some other Doom multiplayer related sites) because, there is a link, but take my quote on the engines... CSDoom and ZDaemon is all? And IDE belongs there too? Now I like all of it, but try to be objective. Instead I think Skull Tag should be in that place, and Doom Legacy, and ZDoom, etc.

Gherkin said:

I am amazed how ignorant a few around here can be lately. Is that on purpose or is it just a big lack of community knowledge? If someone makes a tutorial or other kind of Doom multiplayer instructions site, do it right and at least list ALL of it (and be objective)!

And im not talking about links to the Doom Connector service (which I could about some other Doom multiplayer related sites) because, there is a link, but take my quote on the engines... CSDoom and ZDaemon is all? And IDE belongs there too? Now I like all of it, but try to be objective. Instead I think Skull Tag should be in that place, and Doom Legacy, and ZDoom, etc.

To deathmatch on line the easiest way is ....Don't forget you can also play using different ports at Doom Connector and it is under review for updating.

You missed that part of the item when you quoted? If you are quoting from http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7819 ? Skulltag wasn't being used then 06-21-02 And DC was being updated as I mentioned.

Gherkin said:
And im not talking about links to the Doom Connector service (which I could about some other Doom multiplayer related sites) because, there is a link, but take my quote on the engines...

Its about the list of engines, not about a list of services. I did see there was a link to DC, thats cool (hower the description is very outdated, DC3 is running for 2 months already and doing great :)

Gherkin said:

Its about the list of engines, not about a list of services. I did see there was a link to DC, thats cool (hower the description is very outdated, DC3 is running for 2 months already and doing great :)

Yes, it would be nice if Skulltag, etc. was listed.

fodders said:

06-21-02

What the fuck? No way can that thread have been there 10 months! OMGdess, it has! At least since then I've stopped posting completely pointless comments every two minutes. Hmmm
/me thinks about this for a second
I'm an idiot aren't I?