Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GameArena

Diablo Like Maps

I'm currently working on a FreeWare Fps/rpg, based on the zdoom engine (advanced of course) and was wondering what maps resemble evil dark places such as in Diablo (Lava, ambient sounds, Dungeons, etc). I know Tormenter is great a making maps in that style, but are there any others who can? Any suggestions? Links?

I normally don't do this, but...

Here's some maps like that, especially parts of 5 and all of 6.

"Diablo Like Maps"

This is my fault, isn't it? :)

GA, I might be able to help, but its no guarantee. :)

Wait, I can't map for Zdoom. 1) I don't know how. 2) The only editor I can use (effectively) won't work for zdoom.
(unless someone can teach me how to use the others, because I can't figure it out myself)

Ravage can I have links to previous maps or screenshots of maps you've done. Then I can see the potential ;)

I think the one you say is egyptian like is more what I am going for. I assume you've played Tormenters 2nd map in TNT3, now that is some atmosphere. If you think you can do something as great or greater than that then you're on the team. Btw, some of the new textures in TNT3 we'll most likely be using (plus more), as we can't use any of the original Doom textures.

I should show you some of the texture's I've made. They'd be perfect for a gothic-hellish map. Read D2 Act 4.

i've always thought that a diablo 2 tc for doom, combining the item-dropping addictiveness (and cool enemies and atmosphere) with doom's perfect gameplay (and guns) would be THE BEST THING EVER.

GameArena said:

Btw, some of the new textures in TNT3 we'll most likely be using (plus more), as we can't use any of the original Doom textures.

Actually, most/all of the gothic style textures in TNT3 are from Gothic DM, and nearly all of these are based on either Doom, Heretic or Hexen textures... so you can't really use them in a freeware wad either :(

However, some of the Freedoom textures are certainly appropriate for a fantasy themed wad. Many of the textures in the Return resource file are also appropriate, but you'd have to be careful because while some of these textures are brand new, others are again taken from Heretic and Hexen.

pregnant with worms said:

i've always thought that a diablo 2 tc for doom, combining the item-dropping addictiveness (and cool enemies and atmosphere) with doom's perfect gameplay (and guns) would be THE BEST THING EVER.

The guns? It's not going to have any guns, sir. Only swords, daggers, bows, staffs, etc. And Nightmare, thanks for the heads up, I'll talk to ID tonight and see what they think of it.

GameArena said:

The guns? It's not going to have any guns, sir. Only swords, daggers, bows, staffs, etc.

oh, i know. i wasn't referring to your project. i've just always thought that would be a rad thing.

No :P. It would be cool, but it would be a massive coding job (it'd have to be a new sytem) and the maps would be too impressive.

Slige?? Too impressive??

If you are going for that Diablo-style and are willing to do some coding you might at least try to make the monsters diablo like, by having different varieties with different colours, maybe even boss types of regular monsters.

Zdoom can do such things for you (at least the colour part).

OMG, I didn't mean to say too impressive. I meant to say they WOULDN'T be too impressive. And umm, yeah I'm willing to do coding, I can code the pants of most people ;) . There will be tons of different monster types, but the AI won't be too much different, as I want them to kind of rush the player (stupid ones at least) and smarter ones to play tricks on the player and hide and such.

GameArena said:

OMG, I didn't mean to say too impressive. I meant to say they WOULDN'T be too impressive. And umm, yeah I'm willing to do coding, I can code the pants of most people ;) . There will be tons of different monster types, but the AI won't be too much different, as I want them to kind of rush the player (stupid ones at least) and smarter ones to play tricks on the player and hide and such.

Better start coding. :)

I'll put a hellish texture pack for you to use for your game(soon). It's 100% me. ;)

I'm willing to do a few textures for you, although I won't be able to start until the middle of next month or so.

Woah, thanks guys :). Ravage I've only been coding and I have completed a crap load of features. I mean it's not like I just come up with a name for each spell and stop at that :P. In fact today I just finished the code for some cool rain effects, that actually make it look and feel like it's raining. The textures will begin to appear to get "wet" and when the player looks up rain will splatter on the screen :).

Little Faith said:

Zdoom can do such things for you (at least the colour part).

script 1 OPEN
{
CreateTranslation (1, 64:79=176:191); //Hell Imps
SetActorProperty(2,APROP_Health,250);
SetActorProperty(2,APROP_Speed,16);
SetActorProperty(2,APROP_SeeSound,"hellimp/sight");
SetActorProperty(2,APROP_DeathSound,"hellimp/death");
Thing_SetTranslation (2, 1);
}

Mmm, scripting. Speed doesn't seem to work though, even though it compiles properly.

Seeing as Randy as recently added support for (virtually) infinite types of projectiles in the DECORATE lump, I wouldn't be too suprised to seem him add the ability to have enemies actually use these in the near future :)

Well, I just got done with a entirely new scripting system, so basically anyone that know VC++ will be able to do practically infinite things. However there are still some bugs to work out. I also added stuff for less educated people :P. Now you can use a command to use anything just like you would through the console. Such as command("give supershotgun"), etc. That way I don't have to add a script definition for everything I add.

GameArena said:

Well, I just got done with a entirely new scripting system, so basically anyone that know VC++ will be able to do practically infinite things. However there are still some bugs to work out. I also added stuff for less educated people :P. Now you can use a command to use anything just like you would through the console. Such as command("give supershotgun"), etc. That way I don't have to add a script definition for everything I add.

Uh that's a bit of a security risk don't you think, if I' reading that right you're allowing console commands to be executed from a script. that allows a script to change screen resolutions to something the monitor can't handle (not horrible, but still annoying), dump an infinite number of logs or map data to the hard disk, and I'm sure there's quite a lot of other console commands you wouldn't want to be activated by the scripts in a random wad some joker made.

Cyb, being that I'm working on a FreeWare game, which won't allow custom maps as it will have endless hours of gameplay anyway, I don't have to worry about my mappers using it unwisely. It just makes it easier for me though, because then I don't have compile a new version of ACC for every feature I create.

I mean people won't be able to make their own maps and just start playing them. It'll come with loads of lands, and more will be downloadable as time continues.