Pronunciation Poll (tm) III

How would you pronounce 'wad' ?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How would you pronounce 'wad' ?

• wad
    • wod
    • wayed
    • Other

It's wad, like a wad of chewing gum. It's a big wad of files.

Like how some newer programs use pak files. I'm not sure if it's spelled right, but hey. It's a big pack of files.

WTF? I'm the only one (of those who have voted so far) who says "wod"? Everyone else says it like "fad", but with a "w" instead of the "f"?

I pronouce it "wod". Saying it like fad, only with a w instead of an f, sounds pretty gay to me.

Grazza said:

WTF? I'm the only one (of those who have voted so far) who says "wod"? Everyone else says it like "fad", but with a "w" instead of the "f"?

No, "wad" is pronounced like "spitwad - spit". "Wod" would be pronounced like "whoa +d"

Hmm, I guess these threads are bound to get messy if standard phonetic symbols aren't used. By "wod" I meant with a short o. [In phonetic symbols, this is "wod", possibly with a short accent on the o.]

According to the dictionary, the a in 'wad' is pronounced the same as the o in 'pot', i.e. 'wod'. And who am I to argue with the dictionary, especially as that's how I say it anyway :)

It's pronounced as 'what', except the 't' should be pronounced as a 'd', and why was my post removed?

WT_, worst poll ever!

I prononce it wod (like wawd), like a wad of chewing gum. YET I VOTED FOR WAD (waahd) BECAUSE THIS POLL IS SO SCREWED UP AND NASTY.

Disorder said:

It's pronounced as 'what', except the 't' should be pronounced as a 'd'

Really? On that basis you could pronounce it "hwod".

I just realised, isn't this actually Pronunciation Poll IV, not III?

EDIT: A search revealed only two other pronunciation polls, but I'm sure there were three. Oh well.

BTW, I'm not going to start another thread for this, but how do you guys pronounce 'route' - 'root', 'rowt' or some other way?

AndrewB said:

I prononce it wod (like wawd), like a wad of chewing gum. YET I VOTED FOR WAD (waahd) BECAUSE THIS POLL IS SO SCREWED UP AND NASTY.

Same.

NiGHTMARE said:

BTW, I'm not going to start another thread for this, but how do you guys pronounce 'route' - 'root', 'rowt' or some other way?

I pronounce it 'rowt' myself.

NiGHTMARE said:

I just realised, isn't this actually Pronunciation Poll IV, not III?

EDIT: A search revealed only two other pronunciation polls, but I'm sure there were three. Oh well.

It is 4 if you count the zarcyb one, but I didn't, so it's 3. (besides, that wasn't actually called a pronunciation poll)

Re: poll within a poll - I pronouce it 'root'.

Actualy, it's poll # 2352352 because we used to do these things all the god damned time before we got tired of them.