Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

I Can't Get Excited About (AAA) Games Anymore

No, @Dynamo. I like how others keep going for the same initial quote when I stand corrected based on what Lucius said with my follow-up post. My point really was the general quality of AAAs being released in a finished state as a complete package with meaningful DLC or expansions instead of just selling the thing to you piecemeal or in a busted broken rushed shitty state; I know there are some outliers like Game Freak with what they did to Pokemon, and everyone's been pretty guilty of lousy remasters.

I would say I'd like to know why we're somehow accelerated and a cut above the rest and why we have a lot more bad companies overall versus a place like Japan as a whole, with busted broken rushed shitty game after busted broken rushed shitty game for the past decade now from multiple companies, but I already know the answer to that and it's a way bigger issue than video games, you see it all across the entertainment industry nowadays but it's clearly more to the issue than just the quality of our time wasters, we can collectively agree as roadworx said that's indeed a systematic problem that's reached global proportions with this industry.

Just because I criticize one side does not mean I'm completely black and white in favor of the other, it's just a peculiar phenomenon I've noticed over the past few years that we seem to have a serious problem with this in particular; plus Arlene's article appears to only be focusing on Western gaming companies which is what prompted my response due to my observation, that was my point. I suppose I could've worded it better and spent more time fleshing out the argument I was trying to make before I sent it, seeing as my follow-up response to Lucius went ignored. Whether that was accidental or deliberate I won't entertain conspiracy theories on this website.

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

I would say I'd like to know why we're somehow accelerated and a cut above the rest and why we have a lot more bad companies overall versus a place like Japan as a whole, with busted broken rushed shitty game after busted broken rushed shitty game for the past decade now from multiple companies, but I already know the answer to that and it's a way bigger issue than video games, you see it all across the entertainment industry nowadays but it's clearly more to the issue than just the quality of our time wasters, we can collectively agree as roadworx said that's indeed a systematic problem that's reached global proportions with this industry.

The answer is really simply that "enough people pay for it." There's really not much more to it than that. Perhaps regulations make it easier to cobble together a team, get contracted by a larger company, make a shitty game, get a quick profit then fold. But obviously it's easy to convince enough people to pay here.

If you want to look into why people pay for it then that's a look into deeper societal issues and a problem unto itself.

But yea overall gaming companies around the world suck. Believing otherwise is only deluding yourself.

8 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

The West has a capitalism-first mindset, unlike the East and their over 130 Mega Man games. 

Corporatism is the word you're looking for.  The farmers' market is capitalism. 

Corporatism is a political system of interest representation and policymaking whereby corporate groups, such as agricultural, labour, military, business, scientific, or guild associations, come together on and negotiate contracts or policy (collective bargaining) on the basis of their common interests.

bro wtf does this gotta do with 130 Mega Man games

@TheMagicMushroomMan Now I'm just thinking about a little robot in a suit, Hopping around throwing money at you from a briefcase while you pelt him with deplete uranium.  You blow his ass out the window Robocop style and teleport out....  do do do do doo doo doo doooooo

"You Got...

Fat Stacks Cannon"

2 hours ago, EraserheadBaby said:

Corporatism is the word you're looking for.  The farmers' market is capitalism. 

Ahaha I love this argument because it's a dead giveaway for admitting to having a sense that something is wrong with the current system but not having the guts to call it by name so they reach for a whole other word for it so as to not suffer from cognitive dissonance. No, babes, it's capitalism. "Corporatism" doesn't even mean what you think it means. A farmer's market is simply that -- a marketplace for trade, and trading goods or services has existed in one form or another for thousands of years. Capitalism is private ownership of capital (hence the name) and the means of production with a drive towards infinitely increasing wealth, whatever the cost. It’s the foundation of five hundred years of colonialism and slavery, and is at the root of many of our modern-day social ills. It's also only a few hundred years old, and neoliberalism -- the ideology that justifies it -- is even newer.

Sorry not sorry to ruin your carefully constructed worldview in which capitalism means buying stuff!

15 minutes ago, june gloom said:

Capitalism is private ownership of capital (hence the name) and the means of production with a drive towards infinitely increasing wealth, whatever the cost. It’s the foundation of five hundred years of colonialism and slavery, and is at the root of many of our modern-day social ills.

Oh yeah, and funding wars, can't forget that part. Outside of very specific cases where it's about religion or land it's otherwise going to be involving money. There's no grand conspiracy there.

7 hours ago, june gloom said:

Ahaha I love this argument because it's a dead giveaway for admitting to having a sense that something is wrong with the current system but not having the guts to call it by name so they reach for a whole other word for it so as to not suffer from cognitive dissonance. No, babes, it's capitalism. "Corporatism" doesn't even mean what you think it means. A farmer's market is simply that -- a marketplace for trade, and trading goods or services has existed in one form or another for thousands of years. Capitalism is private ownership of capital (hence the name) and the means of production with a drive towards infinitely increasing wealth, whatever the cost. It’s the foundation of five hundred years of colonialism and slavery, and is at the root of many of our modern-day social ills. It's also only a few hundred years old, and neoliberalism -- the ideology that justifies it -- is even newer.

Sorry not sorry to ruin your carefully constructed worldview in which capitalism means buying stuff!

Don't worry about it, you didn't ruin anything.  You sound like someone fresh out of college educated by bitter intellectuals who wish they had more money.