Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ak47fu2

Doom 3ds mods

Posted (edited)

So I just installed Doom on my modded 3ds following this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtAjHdbDh1Y (except my own IWAD). It works but I am also trying to add this boiled doom version (https://www.moddb.com/mods/boiled-doom-brutal-doom-for-doschocolate/downloads/boiled-doom-al-dente-v-09). When I start the app there is only the option to play Doom 1 (shareware) or 2. Then it just goes straight to the game with no option to use boiled doom. Does anyone know how I get Doom 2 (and maybe a map pack) it working with boiled doom? 

The mod wad and deh are in the same folder as the IWADS. I tried using the ingame menu and it sadly didn't work.

Edited by ak47fu2

Posted (edited)

If the 3DS port you're using doesn't support DEH files, the answer is basically "It's impossible."

Assuming that it's this port, while the readme does say "Supports loading dehacked files at the command line, or in WADs (BOOM, MBF)", unfortunately the text is also the standard PrBoom text, so it's still an open question of if it supports it or not.

Theoretically you could try embedding it inside of the WAD via SLADE and then moving that WAD to your 3DS, but that's a pure guess as to whether that'll work or not. If not, you might have to see if there's another Doom port for the 3DS that supports DEH files.

In which case, it's mostly just a matter of taking the DEH and putting it in the WAD as a lump named DEHACKED via SLADE.

^^ Can confirm this works, as I've used this same port a lot years ago

On 6/13/2024 at 2:45 PM, ak47fu2 said:

When I start the app there is only the option to play Doom 1 (shareware) or 2. Then it just goes straight to the game with no option to use boiled doom. Does anyone know how I get Doom 2 (and maybe a map pack) it working with boiled doom? 

That port only shows IWADs, not mods.

To play a mod, you need to go to Options > General, then flip to the next page. There should be an option to type the names of WAD and DEH files you want to load. Restart the port, select the IWAD, and you should be good to go.

6 hours ago, Wavy said:

^^ Can confirm this works, as I've used this same port a lot years ago

That port only shows IWADs, not mods.

To play a mod, you need to go to Options > General, then flip to the next page. There should be an option to type the names of WAD and DEH files you want to load. Restart the port, select the IWAD, and you should be good to go.

Sorry for not replying. I must have forgotten to get notis from this. I will try the options menu and see if it cooperates.

Posted (edited)

Not sure what is going on. I didn't get a chance to mess with the options menu but I did add the mods to what I think is the same menu awhile ago (which had no effect then and after a restart). Now the 3ds just crashes when I load doom 2. It goes to a glitchy looking screen and then to this crash screen (yes I know I should clean the 3ds lol): DSCN4676.JPG.4057f61f4f4fd2b047ab13d292aa8f2c.JPG

Hmm. Maybe test redownloading the mod (if there's an updated version or in case you altered it) and edit the config to not load the WAD on load, then try again.

Also make sure that that you're loading both the WAD and DEH in case the DEH is the issue, unless the DEH is already in the WAD and in which case you may not need to load the DEH (idk if Boiled Doom uses an embedded dehacked)

What do you mean by edit the config? Also the .wad and .deh were seperate files.

5 hours ago, ak47fu2 said:

What do you mean by edit the config?

When you type the name of the WAD you want to load in the options menu, it'll save the name of the WAD/DEH's in the config. That's why I suggest to remove them