Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Abscission

MAP21: Of Flesh and Fission

3eb71c421877ae6fab1ba35a2d34530ecd0f13bb.png.471c173e2b1dbbfcd00f0507a88cde64.png624bd18ee32397c80f3d4b67983b7459ac76ff71.png.eecc1e6d733d02e6d088e87aaca5fab0.png

Our reincarnation - or perhaps deincarnation, given the circumstances - back into our human form only means more hellish environs are in store. I'm curious to see how more twisted the remaining maps can possibly get. I want to give a special shoutout to the awkward sightlines making the map feel more oppressive and disorienting than it really is. Makes the first descent really uncomfortable but backtracking isn't so bad.

6 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Is MAP20 named after this song by any chance?

Yes it is! I love this song :>

Map 21: Of Flesh and Fission

Crispy Doom, UV, pistol-start

So here we are, back in the slime-filled bottom of Map 11......or so it seems like at first. The multiple medkits seems a litttle weird until you realize what map slot this occupies. But while there aren't any other direct Nirvana references, it's pretty clear the main encounters at least draw some influence from the ones there, if completely reshaped. Moreover, this fits the description Sandy Petersen did of Nirvana being a disorganized and sort of trip-filled mess. Although a lot of areas reinforce the intial impression, there are subterranean slime tunnels where hitscanners and spectres can chew us up from behind and the ending and very hellish flesh chasm occupied by Imps and a Hell Knight on every pillar while other Imps fire from windows far off from the side. Oddly enough, this section is a lot less troublesome than it seems on first blush, despite the rather limited rocket ammo here. 

It all contributes to the feeling of a place between dimensions, a la Lost Lands from Turok. Perhaps as a result of this, Snaxalotl gets a lot less trim with the shapes of the rooms, although the cord leading to a particular teleporter is still a nice twist. Better, we'll actually need some more of the medkits at the start. Admittedly, there was some sloppy gameplay in a few spots. But the Imp/Elemental trap in the rectangular lava cave might still be rather underrated: there isn't really a huge amount of enemies here but target 1 Pain Elemental and you'll find some Lost Souls from the other one slowly chewing off your skin from behind. The chaingunner teleport trap just before the chasm is also good. And the way the metal door at the end opens is quite ominous....

MAP21 - Of Flesh & Fission (95%K/100%I/100%S):

A pretty twisted world based on some of the shenanigans found in Nirvana. Ugly, with sharp angles. Overall it feels like it was made by Romero as a Sigil 2 outtake because of its unorthodox layout and looks. I found myself a bit interested in this map at first, but other than building up something, nothing actually ever happens here. At the end, there is some platforming to be done. Possibly the most interesting bit, but not what I've expected.

Order of preference:

Spoiler

MAP10
MAP12
MAP19
MAP16
MAP17
MAP14

MAP03
MAP06
MAP11
MAP15
MAP08
MAP04
MAP05
MAP20
MAP09

MAP02
MAP21
MAP18
MAP13
MAP01
MAP07
MAP31

MAP32 (Unrated)

MAP21 - “Of Flesh & Fission” (Pistol started, used saves, 100% K/I/S)

Nirvana if it wasn't bad, and also a fantastic map.

I like how the hub is not just a haphazardly element like in the og nirvana, but a way to checkpoint your progress, while also serving as your source of health, since all the medikits of the map are in the very start. This means, this map plays a lot more in that "survival horror" aspect, asking you to preserve your health to survive some of the nasty encounters present here. All of them serve as a careful act of eliminating them while trying to ensure that you don't take any damage, or else you will depend a lot on the hp at the start. The pain elemental one, and the manc rooms are my favorites in this whole map and surely they play really well to this concept.

If it wasn't for the chaingunner teleporting ambush being so dicey, I will probably rank this as a 9/10, but still, very well executed for a reimagining of one of doom 2's most infamous maps.

8/10

15 hours ago, Snaxalotl said:

I don't quite understand how the map could be labelled as having zero monster synergy as @Cutman 999 stated. Archviles and pain elementals prevent pacifism as they will constantly create more lost souls and revive enemies that succumb to infighting while hitscanners cause chip damage. In every attempt I had at getting monsters to infight each other until the map beats itself I end up hitting the lost soul limit, and getting my health drained as every dead hitscanner comes back from the dead to keep causing damage. This makes prioritizing archviles/pain elementals while avoiding hitscan attacks and the cyberdemon the main priority at first.  All of this feels like synergy to me personally, though I suppose that's subjective. I can safely say though that I didn't experience burn out when making this map, I liked how it turned out when I first made it and I still like it to this day.

Welp, you have a bfg almost at the start of the map, once you grab that you can nuke those 2 and the map becomes infighting because of how susceptible hitscanners are to fight with one another, while also the cybers you know that are the infighting kings, so they could possibly kill half the stuff in the map anyway, and if it doesn't happen, 660 cells is more than sufficient.

I'm open to record you a demo if you want to discuss this further.

2 hours ago, Cutman 999 said:

Welp, you have a bfg almost at the start of the map, once you grab that you can nuke those 2 and the map becomes infighting because of how susceptible hitscanners are to fight with one another, while also the cybers you know that are the infighting kings, so they could possibly kill half the stuff in the map anyway, and if it doesn't happen, 660 cells is more than sufficient.

I'm open to record you a demo if you want to discuss this further.

That doesn't account for the pain elementals or archives though, Im not really sure how infighting would reliably take care of them.

And if the solution is for the player to shoot the pain elementals, archviles, and cyber demons then I don't think the map would be beating itself at that point as those are the main threats in the level and require player intervention.

Huh, definitely did not expect the episode text to go in that direction. Very creepy.

MAP21: Of Flesh and Fission

100% kills, 1/1 "secret"

So we end up back in the bowels of MAP11, apparently resurrected, though after how long who knows? Tons of medkits at the start ala Nirvana, and thankfully you'll return here frequently which allows for healing up and takes some of the sting out of the lack of armor. The foreboding atmosphere continues here, and the cloak-and-dagger with the shotgunners I think fits that atmosphere a lot better than the imps/pinkie fights of the last few maps. The earth-hell combination is in full force here which also helps add to the creepiness as it's hard to kinda "predict" what the areas will or "should" look like. I quite liked the setup of the last area with the different batteries of hell knight + imps shooting from all different directions, creating a nice sort of bullet hell design.