Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lengis

Halflife 2 REVEALED

omg that looks soooooo good, rival's doom 3's graphics from what i see. half life one was awesome, i cant wait to see how this turns out!! whens projected release date?

WTF? It looks like the bugs from Starship Troopers. : /

I'm really impressed. I don't know much about graphics, but this looks better in someway than Doom III I think.

I know some of you are not fond about comparisons, but which engine is better technically speaking as far as you can see? Doom III's or Halflife 2's?

geh, if i had to say, i wouldn't.

anyway, screw technology. i don't see how anyone can really have much of a problem with how any games look nowadays. i don't get why there's such graphic-nazis out there today. the things that matter to me are: originality, atmosphere, gameplay, level design, interactivity, interest, replay, structure, and other elements of design. some people are really obsessed with uber1337 technology and i never really understood it.

all i'll say right now is halflife2 looks like the more original and interesting of the two so far, and certainly has piqued my interest far more. the other categories i see no way to judge, because they involve actually checking it out with my own eyes ;)

Eh... it looks alright. The environments and enemies don't seem incredibly interresting, if you ask me. But then again, you can't really tell anything for certain by just looking at these scans. The pictures of Doom 3 look cool, but they're nothing in comparison to seeing the game in action, and I'm sure the same holds true for HL2. I just wish I could afford a computer to run them both on.

sargebaldy said:

all i'll say right now is halflife2 looks like the more original and interesting of the two so far

Yeah, the way way overdone arbitrarily blocked-off deserted city with HEADCRABBED ZOMBIES and various STARSHIP TROOPERS MOVIE-LOOKING BUGS certainly has me interested.

The engine looks pretty cool, though.

Arioch said:

Yeah, the way way overdone arbitrarily blocked-off deserted city with HEADCRABBED ZOMBIES and various STARSHIP TROOPERS MOVIE-LOOKING BUGS certainly has me interested.

Yeah, kinda like wandering around in a ravaged military base in space somewhere with ZOMBIE TROOPERS and various DEMONS FROM HELL, but you know...

If I have to play one more game set in a basically deserted city environment where every single way except for one is blocked off by some arbitrary wreckage or cars or rubble or weird fences, leaving one perfectly linear path...

JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO RELEASE A VIDEO GAME, SIERRA STRIKES AGAIN *DUN DUN DUNNNN*!

Shit those are incredible graphics. Doom3 definately has a rival (shit!)

WTF? OK so the engine looks damn nice... EXCEPT THE BLOODY DYNAMIC LIGHTING. Check out that two-page spread of two guys shooting at an alien, one from up on a gantry. The lighting beside him looks awful.

This could probably explain why left the counterstrike condition zero project for another company to make; so that they can make another half life game. IIRC they've been quiet since blue shift.

Goat said:

omg that looks soooooo good, rival's doom 3's graphics from what i see.

You gotta be shitting me. From what I can see, HL2's engine is no where near Doom 3's engine - I would say it's better than the Q3A engine, but far below the D3 engine. The characters and environments aren't anywhere near as detailed and look more cartoonish.

Yeah, kinda like wandering around in a ravaged military base in space somewhere with ZOMBIE TROOPERS and various DEMONS FROM HELL, but you know...

What are YOU babbling about? Lemme see, Starship Troopers like aliens have been done countless times before, both in movies and other FPSs, but how many shooters have you seen with demons from Hell as cannon fodder? I can only think of one: Doom. Not only that, but those Doom demons seem quite original, so why don't you throw that crack pipe away and stomp on it?

Having said that, I will say that the screenies look very interesting and true to the original HL as far as the concept goes, but saying "omfg, this blows Doom 3 so far outta the water" is pretty retarded: None of the games are done yet and even though a lot of you have played the Alpha and heard a lot of info on Doom 3, you know very little about.

I'm sure HL2 will be a good game, but I will not judge it until it's out. I'll only say that if the gameplay's like the original HL, then I sure will stay away from it. I already made the mistake of buying the original HL only to grow tired of it faster than any other game I've tried, including Q3A - I will not commit that mistake again.

zarcyb said:

WTF? OK so the engine looks damn nice... EXCEPT THE BLOODY DYNAMIC LIGHTING. Check out that two-page spread of two guys shooting at an alien, one from up on a gantry. The lighting beside him looks awful.

`
Yeah, I noticed that too. That flash on the wall looks horribly pixelated. I can't believe Valve dared to show that screenshot to the press. The shadows underneath the charachters look crap too.

On the other hand, I love Starship Troopers, so I would definitly check out HL2 for that reason alone.

The city views look nice. I do realise that every street except one will probably be blocked, but I just use my imagination and pretend that there's a larger city outside the play area. The faces of the characters and the water-effect look well done to me.

Arno said:

`
Yeah, I noticed that too. That flash on the wall looks horribly pixelated. I can't believe Valve dared to show that screenshot to the press. The shadows underneath the charachters look crap too.

Oh come on now, nothing in these screens look like crap - it just doesn't look as great and state-of-the-art as Far Cry or Doom 3, but that doesn't automatically make it crap.

You people need to learn the difference between "below the best" and "crap".

Wanna see crap? Go and check some reviews of crappy games on Somethingawful, THEN you'll know what crap is (but ignore the Unreal 2 review).

Sorry, but I'm getting tired of people stating that something sucks, just because it's not "omg-best-thing-you-evar-saw!!!".

DSM, you're an ignorant fool. There are plenty of shooters with hellspawn and/or undead as the primary foes. Blood, Blood 2, and Quake, to name a few. Rune, also. How about the Heretic and Hexen games? They were supposed to be pretty hellspawn-y too. Whether or not they actually were is a debate for another thread.

The only reason you can't think of any others is because you didn't want to. Doom is the only game you care about, obviously.

dsm said:

What are YOU babbling about? Lemme see, Starship Troopers like aliens have been done countless times before, both in movies and other FPSs, but how many shooters have you seen with demons from Hell as cannon fodder? I can only think of one: Doom. Not only that, but those Doom demons seem quite original, so why don't you throw that crack pipe away and stomp on it?

Um...like Kat just said, all those games are kinda Hellspawn based, not to mention a lot of other Doom clones from back in the day. And exactly how many times have Starship Troopers aliens been done before? Lets see...Starcraft, Warhammer 40k (which did make its way to some bad PC games a few times), and uh, what really? I mean Starship Troopers started all this (the book)...WH40K is very much designed off it, at least the marines and 'Nids, Alien is quite possibly inspired by it, and Starcraft was either designed off WH40k or Starship Troopers (the Protoss could quite possibly be designed from the 'skinnies', I believe they were called, from the book). Doom was likewise taken from several scifi references. The posessed dead, chainsaw and shotgun were most likely taken from Evil Dead, the atmosphere from Aliens, and the demon stuff comes from all kinds of stuff from occult lore to D&D material. So honestly, evrything is based off something.. At least it's not another damn war game.

My writing may be incoherent due to the fact that I'm about to pass out and sleep now, but I will say that Half-Life 2 looks more interesting than Doom 3.

The models' faces totally own.

I think this is going to be some serious competition to Doom3

They might even come out as.. ..equal. (Which I see as a good thing).

The secrurity guard looks like Robert Downey Jr.

dsm said:

Oh come on now, nothing in these screens look like crap - it just doesn't look as great and state-of-the-art as Far Cry or Doom 3, but that doesn't automatically make it crap.

You people need to learn the difference between "below the best" and "crap".

I didn't just say "these screens suck", I specifically said what I like and what I didn't like. I liked most of what I saw in those screenshots except for two things: 1) that flash behind the marine (even Quake2 does better then that) and 2) the shadows from the characters, which look like SOF2-shadows. I expect better from Half Life 2.

The rest of the screenshots I do indeed like. Most noteworthy are the characters faces and the water effect.

the_Danarchist said:

Alien is quite possibly inspired by it,

Na, the original Alien evolved entirely from Giger's warped mind :)

Starcraft was either designed off WH40k or Starship Troopers

I agree about the marines and some of the Zerg, but the Protoss look more like Predators to me, and some of them act like Klingons (one of them even says 'it's a good day to die' at one point).

NiGHTMARE said:

Na, the original Alien evolved entirely from Giger's warped mind :)

Ah! I have a few of his books, gotta love the man's kitchen set O_O