Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Goat

Whats with all the military games? jesus christ!

whats with all the fucking military games coming out recently? Battlefield 1942, world war 2 online, men of valor, call of duty, delta force, those navy seals games, line of sight: vietnam, bunch of medal of honor games, tons of rainbow six sequels including but not limited to ghost recon shit, vietcong... i swear it just seems like within the past 6 months we've been bombarded by games dealing with either world war 2 or vietnam! wtf is that, come on people im tired of killing nazi's and the cong! i want somethin that hasnt been frikkin done to death, and that is ww2 and nam, imo

Goat: Several of the games you mentioned are actually set nowadays/in the near future.

Epyo: AFAIK it was either Castle Wolfenstein (the game which inspired by Wolf 3D) or the original Great Escape game :)

wolfenstein is cool, its all fake and junk, these others are goin for like some realism feel or something. its quite lame and played out terribly, almost to the point of the "Army Men" games.

by fake with wolfenstein i mean zombies and stuff, the whole black magic bit

As I said, I'm talking about Castle Wolfenstein, not Wolfenstein 3D, being the first WW2 game... or if it's not that, then it's the Great Escape (obviously not the new game which has the same name).

I'm sick of "tactical" games that require assloads of bindings for shitty commands like "Make team member blindly rush forward" and "Tell teammate to stfu". It's dull.

Well, don't buy them then. Quite a cheap & easy solution.

"recently"? Some of those go back all the way down to 1994.

A lot of military game are famous now because some fat assed lazy people (like myself) want the experience of the military without all the hard work so they can be "patriotic".

I liked them at first, especially Rainbow Six. But now it's getting a little ridiculous.

Two words, people: Counter-Strike

The start of the realistic tactical military game craze, and the death of it.

I can't even stand to look at the military games in the freaking stores without getting tensed up and irritated. It's stupid on so many levels. But as for constructive comments...

I think that more games need to be made on a foundation similar to Alice (from "in Wonderland"). Not realistic and Earth-like, but not unrealistic either, in the sense that it could conceivably be possible in another dimension. Except that they shouldn't just re-use the same old Earth-like material that has been covered to no end.

To put it another way, I want to see more games based on things that have ties to this world, but in combinations never seen in our world. If anyone has seen Spirited Away, you'll know what I'm talking about. I really think that would open a new world of exploration and fun.

Goat said:

whats with all the fucking military games coming out recently?

Think, these games are called shooters, where are the most shots fired? hmmmm wars? yes. So your question should be: Why are there so many shooters? I tell ya because lots of people buy them.

Please don't ask stupid questions anymore

Zoost: I think he means modern military/army games, so his question wasn't stupid in that sense. Remember, before this recent craze, most shooters were futuristic or just kind of surreal.

Personally, I much prefer unrealistic kind of environments. After playing MOHAA, RTCW and some horrible demo of a vietnam game I think I'm all set to never play one of these again (unless something really innovative comes out within the field).

I don't like the realistic online ones too much either, altercations often seem to end up in fucking crouch-fests because you can't shoot a gun straight and run forward at the same time.

One really good multiplayer realism game though is Urban Terror mod for Q3. You can actually fire accurately and run at the same time. As well as pull yourself up onto ledges Prince of Persia style.

I imagine the realism trend will die out at some point, and move on to something else.

What's wrong with military games? Seeing as most guns are restricted to the military.

Rotting Corpse said:

War games have been done to death.

Working by your logic, so have games with aliens in them. And space games. And fantasy games. And sports games. AND GAMES WITH PEOPLE IN THEM OMG!!!!

So what if there are lots of war games? Obviously if they weren't in demand, then they wouldn't be being made. But they are in demand. People want war.

zarcyb said:

Working by your logic, so have games with aliens in them. And space games. And fantasy games. And sports games. AND GAMES WITH PEOPLE IN THEM OMG!!!!

So what if there are lots of war games? Obviously if they weren't in demand, then they wouldn't be being made. But they are in demand. People want war.

Are you going to quote all my post and try to make me feal stuped?
Cuz if you are you can fuck off.

IMJack said:

Two words, people: Counter-Strike

The start of the realistic tactical military game craze, and the death of it.

Counter-Strike isn't that realistic. The only real part is that the weapons based on real weapons.

Rotting Corpse said:

Are you going to quote all my post and try to make me feal stuped?
Cuz if you are you can fuck off.

I don't need to try :P

Rotting Corpse said:

Just leave me alone.

OK, sorry. I was just making a point in my earlier post.

it is government propoganda. they want more people to join the army. notice how the us army and navy commercials came out the same time ( well not really ) as all those war games????

kain said:

it is government propoganda. they want more people to join the army. notice how the us army and navy commercials came out the same time ( well not really ) as all those war games????

Whatever you say, Mr. Tinfoil Hat.

they also have a game you can get for free, America's army. i will agree it has 2 factors. propganda, these games are in a way being supported by military and goverment. they WANT the geeky teenager because it is becoming little more than a push button war. Also a sort of patriotic reason and that brings out all the people who want to make a quick buck off the current gaming fad. anyone remember all the FPS tha came out after doom? what about tombraider ripoffs? and to an extent the resident evil rip offs?

Ubik said:

Whatever you say, Mr. Tinfoil Hat.

yeah FNORD get real, man.