Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katarhyne

Idiotic Doomers (yes, you)

Katarhyne said:

I have a response for you too, Shaviro, but you've heard it before and my fingers are starting to hurt from too much typing. I hate my job. :(

uhmm? I have?

Sorry, but a quick flick through the Everything Else and Doom 3 forums (which is where you'd expect to find this kind of stuff) just turned mainly praise for games like Doom 3, Halo 2, Half-Life 2, etc.

The only criticism I can find of more recent games is people saying the gameplay is crap (Quake 3 and Jedi Knight 2 have both been discussed recently), not mention that the gameplay is only crap because the game is too realistic.

There are a few mentions of certain games being crap because they're too complex, but that's a different thing than realism. A game can be realistic without being complex, and visa versa.

Katarhyne said:
Nightmare, take a look around. If you don't see that kind of behavior it's because you choose to ignore it. In the immortal words of Linguica's los tebeos maravillosos del andrew stine, SHUT UP NICK BAKER NOBODY ASKED YOU.

why not show us a single thread as an example of what you mean? because i honestly can't say i've seen anyone saying "realism is bad" or people being flamed excessively for saying doom isn't the best game ever...

a few people will of course flame(read imp's post above), but this is a DOOM FORUM, and obviously a lot of people in here DO think doom is the greatest game ever. you can't really prove one way or another on what game's better than what, so it's hardly worth mentioning on here. i'm sure if you went onto the half-life forums and did the same thing, you'd get a similar response there. it's trolling as far as i'm concerned.

Katarhyne said:

Rotting Corpse, I'm in a very kind mood so I'll keep what I say to and about you to a minimum. You, and so many other people with disabilities, find it so easy to rely on that their whole lives. Now, I'm not going to say that you're doing that necessarily, but anyone who has a problem will find it very easy to simply go "well I can't because of this". Trust me - let me tell you about MY disabilities some day. Virtually anyone can do anything they want, if they try hard enough. So consider this a little inspirational message for you, personally.

I dont rely on people. I in fact, I have been alone most of my life.
I did at one point rely on others. I dependid on other people.This made me weak. Now I depend on my self. I dont even talk about my problems with my mom. They are my problems. I dont want any ones pitty. I will get over my problems some day. I ask for help becouse..I have came veary far over the years. But I still have some road blocks. Some people are willing to help. I dont expect any mone to help. I'm used to asking for help and geting none. We all need some help some times.

I really can't believe that you people can't see the attitude I'm talking about. Other people can. What's your problem? It's blatantly obvious if you look for it. Go find any "Doom 3 vs x" or "Doom vs X" thread and read through it. Alternatively, go find any thread where someone else says "game [x, where != doom 3] is going to be cool" and there will inevitably be a "OMG DOOM 3 IS KEWLER THIS GAME SUXXXX" post. Again, alternatively, go find any thread where anyone says "I like x more than doom", and you will find plenty of responses with same.

Rotting Corpse: Excellent. You just raised my estimation of you quite a bit.

Well, it's refreshing to see someone with a disability who doesn't use it as a crutch; who doesn't rely on it as the excuse to explain away and absolve themselves of responsibility for all their problems.

Katarhyne said:

I really can't believe that you people can't see the attitude I'm talking about. Other people can. What's your problem? It's blatantly obvious if you look for it. Go find any "Doom 3 vs x" or "Doom vs X" thread and read through it. Alternatively, go find any thread where someone else says "game [x, where != doom 3] is going to be cool" and there will inevitably be a "OMG DOOM 3 IS KEWLER THIS GAME SUXXXX" post. Again, alternatively, go find any thread where anyone says "I like x more than doom", and you will find plenty of responses with same.

Looking through recent Doom 3 vs. x posts... no I don't get your point.

Katarhyne said:

Well, it's refreshing to see someone with a disability who doesn't use it as a crutch; who doesn't rely on it as the excuse to explain away and absolve themselves of responsibility for all their problems.

Thanks! Ya know I started ot not like you. But now you o.k.

Kat: Sorry, I thought you were talking about the original Doom, not Doom 3. I think that we all (or at least the vast majority of us) know that Doom 3 will be much more realistic than the original Doom was.

In fact, much of the praise that Doom 3 is getting from people on these forums is for areas that make it more realistic, e.g. the lighting, AI, walls exploding and collapsing rather than simply lowering/raising, etc.

Reading the "Half-Life 2 versus Doom 3" thread, nearly all of them were saying HL2 will probably be at least as good as Doom 3, if not better. The only negative comment was from DSM, as even Shaviro admitted he was looking forward to seeing HL2.

Well, anyway. What needed to be said, on both sides, has been said. So if I were still a mod, I'd close this thread. Ahem. :clears throat:

kat: SHOW US ONE. right now, you seem no less ignorant (or possible more so) than nightmare. i've made plenty my share of anti-doom3 posts, but mostly it's because i feel it's going to turn out exactly like all the other manufactured lame crap that comes out today.

id hasn't HAD a revolutionary game since doom, because since then they've just been playing it safe. they've just kind of stuck to the "good vs evil FPSs", because that's whats treated them so well economically, and what people now expect from an id game. when programmers and marketing are forcing to design things against their will, the result will be some polished, boring little marketing gem such as quake3. if you prefer playing that kind of crap, good for you. but doom's for me, and i'm hardly planning on "moving on".

Katarhyne said:

First off - Dan, why didn't you tell me you were building a new box? :(

I'm not. I just said that my objective is just to build a box that can play new RPGs like Morrowind and NWN. Considering how fast technology changes, I'm not even going to start fleshing out any technical aspects I'll need until I have some cash. And whenever I do start designing it, you'll probably be the first person I come to. :)

Sargebaldy: I'm not ignorant. I'm not saying that there aren't people who think that Doom is the best game that ever has been or will be made, I'm saying that AFAIK no-one has ever been flamed for saying that it isn't.

Of course there are some people who think that saying "no, don't be silly, of course Doom is the best game ever" is flaming, but you've just got to feel sorry for those kind of people.

Baldy, I don't have to show you any because it's blatantly obvious RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE. You've made plenty yourself, as you said, and your reason is exactly the kind of idiocy I'm talking about. In fact, as I've told you on IRC, you are exactly representative of the kind of idiotic Doomer I'm talking about.

NiGHTMARE said:

Sargebaldy: I'm not ignorant. I'm not saying that there aren't people who think that Doom is the best game that ever has been or will be made, I'm saying that AFAIK no-one has ever been flamed for saying that it isn't.

Of course there are some people who think that saying "no, don't be silly, of course Doom is the best game ever" is flaming, but you've just got to feel sorry for those kind of people.

i think there's a few comments now and then. but kat's paranoid if she thinks everyone in the community feels that way.

Rotting Corpse said:

Katarhyne you can close your own thread.

Thats all lies. I've tried to do that before, but I cannot see any damn button which they talk about.

sargebaldy said:
a few people will of course flame(read imp's post above), but this is a DOOM FORUM, and obviously a lot of people in here DO think doom is the greatest game ever. you can't really prove one way or another on what game's better than what, so it's hardly worth mentioning on here. i'm sure if you went onto the half-life forums and did the same thing, you'd get a similar response there. it's trolling as far as i'm concerned.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I kinda think that point here is that even though a lot of people here may think that Doom is the best game ever, that doesn't mean that other games suck just because they aren't Doom.

It's kinda like... getting into a console arguement. Anybody with any sense will realize that even if they have their own opinions on what makes a console great, all three of the major consoles out on the market have their pros and cons. It's the people who refuse to see anything good about anything that isn't their favorite that causes problems, and they cause a problems for anyone who has any normal preferance. I'm pretty sure it's people like that that Kat is reffering to.

EllipsusD, that's correct. Unfortunately, there are some people who have to take every word literally in what was obviously a half-serious, half-troll thread to begin with. I'm done with this thread.

Then I'll close it, for a while anyway, until things settle down a bit.

the_Danarchist said:

Thats all lies. I've tried to do that before, but I cannot see any damn button which they talk about.

Down at the bottom of every thread under "Admin Options".

zarcyb said:

Graphics are key to the entire game. If it's ugly, it won't sell. I mean come on, would you rather play a pretty game or an ugly game? And your first impressions are mostly based on how it looks. OK so a pretty game with little gameplay won't do well but it will do better and receive more exposure than an ugly game with lots of gameplay.

But that's the whole point! Companies are making bad games with good graphics to get good "first impressions". And gameplay suffers.

One thing I don't like about realism is the fact that the more real it is the more it slows my computer down. Some games I would love to play..but hate to do so because it almost crashes my computer..

Also consider the fact that games aren't really becoming that much more real, just more rounded. Most of the realism is limited to graphics, I.E. what you can look at. But there is still much to be desired in terms of physics realism, and less event pre-scripting, more consequential flexibility.

While it's true that there havent been any ground breaking games recently, there have been some pretty good ones. You (generally speaking) can't expect every game released by every company to blow you away. If you do, then your life in general is going to be really boring.

I dont think DooM is the best game in the world, it just happens to be my favorite. It's the only one I dont get tired of, due to the extensive collection of mods and wads. If this were the case with Half-Life, I'd probably be playing that instead.

As for the topic of fanaticism, yes it's true. There are a few people around here with that kind of attitude, but that can be said about any game, movie, television show, music genre, food, sneaker, etc. No matter where you go, there will always be people who demand that you see things their way. It's irritating, at the very least, but it's just something we all have to put up with. Even the flamers get flamed for not being fanatical enough.

Despite these truths, the Doomworld forums are probably the best and most comfortable on the internet. Hell, it's the only forum I've managed to stomach for more than a month.

AndrewB: Stop bitching. If you dont like the current state of gaming, change it. Go make a game that you think will be immensely enjoyable. This isnt sarcasm, it's a serious suggestion.

Grow up, umm, ___master. I'm not whining or targeting anyone, I'm merely making polite observations, so please go take out your frustrations on a heavy meal or something.