Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sneezy McGlassFace

Defaulting to Ultra Violence is terrible, and here's why

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, prfunky said:

If I recall correctly, ITYTD takes the same monster spawns, health spawns and whatever other "things" as HNTR. 

The difference between the two is in how the monsters act. Been so long since I played ITYTD I don't really 

remember; I think imps cast no fireballs or something like that.

Your recollection fails you, monsters don't change attack behavior on any skill (except the boss brain shooter on a technicality, which shoots half as often on ITYTD). ITYTD's only real difference is half damage to the player & double ammo.

7 hours ago, prfunky said:

If I recall correctly, ITYTD takes the same monster spawns, health spawns and whatever other "things" as HNTR.

The difference between the two is in how the monsters act. Been so long since I played ITYTD I don't really

remember; I think imps cast no fireballs or something like that. Anyone want to pile on to this portion of the

discussion, you're welcome to school us all on the difference between ITYTD and HNTR.

Respectfully, you don't remember correctly.

I just popped into Doom 2 on ITYTD specifically to test this preposterous idea and of course as I expected, Imps definitely threw fireballs. =)

ITYTD doubles ammo pick-ups and halves incoming damage.  Anecdotally, monsters seems to attack less frequently than HMP.

ITYTD & HNTR do share the same item placements in the original games.  Map makers using UDMF as their format can differentiate item placements between those 2 difficulties.

Another thing I noticed this morning that furthers the "easy / medium / hard = ITYTD&HNTR / HMP / UV" thinking is many editors and Zdoom Launcher (zdl.exe) I've always used refer to difficulty settings only as easy, medium, and hard.

Map makers, for example, have been subconsciously influenced to this line of association for literally decades. =)

It's worth also noting that, when starting up the original DOS executables the initially-highlighted difficulty setting upon starting a new game is Hurt-Me-Plenty. It's almost as if that's the *developer-intended* default or something.

10 hours ago, DiavoJinx said:

Another thing I noticed this morning that furthers the "easy / medium / hard = ITYTD&HNTR / HMP / UV" thinking is many editors and Zdoom Launcher (zdl.exe) I've always used refer to difficulty settings only as easy, medium, and hard.

Map makers, for example, have been subconsciously influenced to this line of association for literally decades. =)

The source code itself also refers to the skill levels as "easy," "normal," and "hard" (ITYTD is called "baby" and Nightmare is just "nightmare").

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 3:48 AM, plums said:

What would you think about adding a whole "skill settings menu" to Nugget Doom?

And here it is:

imagen.png.fbdd5163dd78d961b3abe71b7b670f93.png

The Keep Loadout option doesn't keep track of the loadout at level start, but rather goes with what you have at the time of using the option, so you'll have to save at the start of a level if you think you'll want to restart it with different settings later.

@Sneezy McGlassFace and @plums, I'd be glad if you could try this. Autobuilds (updated July 17th): Windows; Linux.

Edited by Alaux

@Alaux wow, awesome! It will take me a day or two before I can get to it but I will try it when I can.

39 minutes ago, Alaux said:

And here it is:

The Keep Loadout option doesn't keep track of the loadout at level start, but rather goes with what you have at the time of using the option, so you'll have to save at the start of a level if you think you'll want to restart it with different settings later.

@Sneezy McGlassFace and @plums, I'd be glad if you could try this. Autobuilds: Windows; Linux.

Oh yeah, baby! This is huge

All hail the mighty nugget 

7 hours ago, Alaux said:

And here it is:

@Sneezy McGlassFace and @plums, I'd be glad if you could try this. Autobuilds: Windows; Linux.

oh, shit. that's an awesome feature, and one that feels pretty huge as well. that'll make harder mapsets far more accessible.

out of curiosity, though: does this affect demos in any way?

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

out of curiosity, though: does this affect demos in any way?

Depends on what you mean.

The custom skill should be disallowed in demos, even if whatever combination you chose is one that is possible in demos, i.e. achievable through command-line parameters; not all combinations are supported by vanilla, therefore they won't be supported by the rest of ports. Then again, you do have to use the command-line to set up and record demos anyways.

In practice, though, I wouldn't be surprised if I borked demo compatibility one way or another as I implemented this, but again, that's not the idea.

TL;DR: demos are still limited to the old skills and command-line parameters.