Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

Masterpiece

Maybe a little self-promoting, but hey.

All you mappers out there, I'm sure you've had your share of good and bad levels, for any and whatever port. And there's always a level you've always loved, and one you wish you hadn't released. I was just wondering...

1) What map that you have released is the one you're MOST proud of? For me I'd have to say Grind2, even though Grind2X was more popular, and Dream had some nicer effects. It had some interesting detail and neat effects (fake mirror, fake slope, fake 3D floor, and those invisible walls for glass). Also, the TNT effect was something I'm very proud of having made. Many would say they like MAP25 of ZooM the most but I'm not really proud of this, it's just a simple map that I could draw up in ten minutes.

2) What is the WORST map you've ever released, and wish you hadn't? For me I'd have to say either UAC or Gatika. Ill was rather dumb as well (E1M8, hah) but some of the maps were good (E1M1, E1M2). UAC was gigantic with a puzzle nobody could ever figure out (which prevented you from exiting the level, but not killing you, so people just said "WTF?"), the .deh was dumb, the ammo was low, the difficulty was high, and the detailing was repetitive, repetitive, and repetitive. But it was my first release, so I can't say it was all THAT bad, but it could've used work.

So how about you?

Chaingun Arena -- the only map I released but I feel a bit of attachment to it.

Epyo said:

heh, nice avatar Job.

Thanks. Gotta dress the part for the TC. :D

Hey, 'nami, I played UAC just the other day. It was sort of meh-ish, but it was ok.

Best:

Rc01
Sin City 2 (noone seemed to like it, but I thought it was my best work)
Sin City
MDM5
MDM2
Rc00
Reunion 02

Worst:

DDTW
Icon2
MDM3
MDM4
Reunion 01

best:
one i did for crucified dreams, but afterglow didn't like it. it was very highly detailed but i dunno about gameplay, it might have sucked. but so do most of the gothic maps anyway. it was also VERY inspired from kim malde's level in the same pack, afterglow said that's why he didn't like it.

worst:
don't know, or remember some of my surge/2 maps. overall quality of gem01/02/03 wasn't top notch though (but _i_ still like them alot).

My best Doom stuff are my DM Map Barfight, my mods Lizardwar and ICD-Lizard, and my three Doom skins Lizardcommando, Pikaguard, and Trenchcoat Lizard. My worst Doom stuff is Pokestein for obvious reasons.

best: zort09
worst: doomjr (bahaha)

I bet nobody has made maps with such an extreme difference in quality. :P

Woah, Cyb... I'm in shock.

Best: (I havn't released my favorite map yet, so I'll just list the favorite map I DID release) - Darkheart (Part of Captain Mancubus)

Worst: Pik (AHAHAHAHAHA...)

Best released would be IMIS Waste Processing.

Mediocre(good at its time) would be GORE2. (which I may redo heavily)

I have no worst released because I've only released two lvl wads.

(also one that will soon be released would be my Community Chest map22, which will be my best released map)

(retard)
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:Dyay:D:D:D

Epyo said:

heh, so you're the evil one who made doomjr?

hehe yep, like 6 years ago, my first release... kinda wish I hadn't but not much I can do about it now. Hindsight is 20/20

The Best:

Tie between Tides of Sin (e1m8 replacement level for UD), and Mortis Infinitum (map 30 replacemant for Doom II). Both of these wads are available for download on Brad Tilf's web site. ;-)

The Worst:

Asylum (the less said the better...it was one of my first maps and stunk royally.)

HOLY CRAP CYB! I just played some of doomjr again... I had forgotten... I can definetly say that my favorite map had to be map 18.

Best: UDM1 (based on my participation). As for my best single level wad, you'll have to wait until this week's /newstuff to find out.
Worst: See this weeks /newstuff to find out (those who already played it would know what I'm talking about). =P

Heh, someone said in a thread just the other day "I've never seen so many self-promoting people in my life". Kinda funny when you realise the person who said that and the person who started THIS thread are one and the same.

Hmmm maybe Mangadoom but it isn't finished yet.

I guess it would have to be my ryoko.wad (yeah the skin) It's a bit of a trademark for me if i may say so myself (Largely because it's seems i did it before anyone else :) )

Best: Take your choice between the Doom Arcade maps (Phobos Hangar, Marine Lemmings, You Sunk My Battleship!) and Space Station Omega
Worst: The map that made it in to Doom Center's Unreleasables 1

Cyb said:

Regarding Doomjr:

hehe yep, like 6 years ago, my first release... kinda wish I hadn't but not much I can do about it now. Hindsight is 20/20

I didn't realize you were the same person. I still have the 13:00 lmp I did, and sent to you, of those 30 levels way back then. :) I remember there were a few mistakes but I still had a lot of fun!

Rich Sham

hm. i tried releasing a set called mount doom a good 6 years back or so, but it had some problems and couldn't be uploaded. personally i consider that my favourite piece of work (i spent hours on graphics and dehacking stuff like keens into vases :P) despite the fact the maps were pretty awful.

i made my first (and i suppose best) released wad, wtc911, after about 4 years or so of doom mapping absence.. i think it's rather cool other than being awfully linear :/ my worst map isn't quite released yet... you'll just have to wait till mock2 comes out :P

Best: The second version of Wasted map01... though I have many unreleased maps which are better.

Worst: My level in the DW speedmap pack which had the 'flooded city' theme.

best: scythe.wad, bldnight.wad. if you want a specific map, bldnight map06.

worst: some of my maps in oneweek.wad, map08 maybe.

Best: AV map06
Worst: Xfire4

there's some real stinkers in my unreleased directory, so they're staying there :)

Russell_P said:

Heh, someone said in a thread just the other day "I've never seen so many self-promoting people in my life". Kinda funny when you realise the person who said that and the person who started THIS thread are one and the same.

The other thread was asking where to find some good Doom wads to play. All replies were "play mine mine are best!!@@#!$!"

In this thread I'm asking what mappers think about their projects.

Best map - That's a tough one. So far, my best map would be either fury.wad map 5, 6, or 8.
Worst map - Carnage.wad maps E1M2 and E1M3.