Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Epyo

Riddle me this, riddle me that.

Ok, so there's this evil maniac dude who captured 10 X-men. He put them all in a single file line. He is going to put a colored hat on them all, either red or blue. All they can see are the people in front of them. The maniac is going to point to the last person in line, and this person can only say red or blue. If the color he says isn't the color of the hat on his head, he gets killed. If he is right, he lives, and the maniac moves on to the next person. What strategy can they use to make sure 9 out of 10 people are guaranteed to live? Oh and one of the guys is Chris Farley. And also they're not allowed to use their mutant powers, so it doesn't matter that their X-men, it was just implemented because the guy who told me this is a psycho crazy dude.

Anyway, I've been struggling with this one. I've been doing a lot of riddles lately, and I'm pretty sure this one is impossible. But you guys have really big heads, which probably means your brain is big too or something. So which strategy is the best?

Hmm, I was going to say just say the opposite color of the person in front, but that won't work. Only every other person would be guaranteed to live (every other person would know which color hat theirs is, but once they say the correct color the next person would be messed up).

Are there an equal number of red/blue hats (5 of each)?

but if you get out of line, the maniac goes all maniac on everybody. heh. And so will your mom! :)

timmie said:

Hmm, I was going to say just say the opposite color of the person in front, but that won't work. Only every other person would be guaranteed to live (every other person would know which color hat theirs is, but once they say the correct color the next person would be messed up).

Are there an equal number of red/blue hats (5 of each)?

nope, random.

Epyo said:

but if you get out of line, the maniac goes all maniac on everybody. heh. And so will your mom!

That's why you hide a shotgun. :P

Okay.

Since the first person has NO WAY to no what color hat is on his head, he simply says the color of the hat of the person in front of him.

First guy dies.

The second person answers with the answer the first person gave. This saves him from getting killed. He then says the color of the hat on the next person. There is no rule that says he can't speak once he has given his answer, only that he can only say "red" or "blue".

Second guy is spared.

Repeat 3-10. They are all saved, making a total of 9 of 10 being guaranteed to be saved.

Riddle solved.

Yeah, the guy who told me the riddle gave me 2 new rulez0rs

1-You can't change the tone of your voice
2-You can't say anything before or after you say what's on your head

yeah, I still say it's impossible

EDIT: and you can't move any of your limbs.

Epyo said:

Damn, thought I had it :(

Epyo said:

Rule #3 You cannot add any rules other than in your first post.

Can you see everyone in front of you? Or just the one person in front? I think its maybe possible if you can see the entire line.

EDIT: I've pretty much proved to myself that its possible if you can see all the people in front of you.

The first person is pretty much screwed. He has no way of knowing whats on his head, but he can see everyone else, which is the key to the whole thing.

He starts with the color red. He goes through each person in the line. If they have a blue hat, he changes his color (switching between red and blue). If they have a red hat, he does not. At the end, he says his color.

The second person in line then does the same as the first person, for all the people in front of him. If the color he ends up with is different to the color the first person said, he must be wearing a blue hat (since it changed before reaching the end). If they are the same, he must be wearing a red hat. So he chooses the color which saves him.

The third person in line can only see the people in front of him. HOWEVER, he has heard what the second person says. So when he counts through the people in front of him, he also includes the second persons reply.

This iterates through every person in the line until all of them are saved. The end.

This is binary logic using XOR and it works because XOR is commutative.

riddle me this, riddle me that. who's afraid of the big black bat?

damn it! someone beat me too it. oh well i will still say it

Epyo said:

Oh and one of the guys is Chris Farley.

Simple. Chris Farley masturbates and dies of autoerotic asphyxiation, which really throws off the physcho killer and the X-men all escape.

Even if they all figure it out, the killer wont keep his promise. He'll kill them all anyway.