Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaJuice

Doom on IRIX

Sort of a pointless post but whatever...
Got myself an sgi octane (lookitup) and booted up IRIX for the first time. So I'm checking out the OS, which is a fresh install, and lo and behold, I find Doom sharware under the demos section. I knew it was ported to IRIX but didn't know it was on the OS by default.
Doesn't seem any different from vanilla doom except I don't think there is any mouse support. It's hard playing without a mouse:/

That's it, just thought I'd share.

Eww, Irix.

You can probably get PrBoom to run, though the C compiler under Irix is rather pedantic and broken in places.

Heh, I take it you're not a fan of irix. I don't know jack about it myself, this being my first unix machine. Anything particularly nasty about it I should know?
I don't think I'll bother with doom on sgi though, there's a perfectly good copy on my pc:)

What the heck does this have to do with Linux. Start your flame wars elsewhere. Shoo shoo!

Dark Fox said:

Mandrake is the reigning king of Linux

What a load of bollocks.

Lindows all the way!!!!1111

You can probably run Linux/MIPS on the Octane. It might be a bit nicer than Irix :)

I've used Irix before, it has some nasty quirks (like how the C compiler is kind of broken in places).

Linux on MIPS ain't gonna happen (ever). However sgi recently came out with an Origin3000 style Linux server, which use Itanium2 instead of MIPS.

http://www.sgi.com/servers/altix/

I'm only gonna be running a 3d app or two on the Octane. I just want IRIX to be stable, that's all I expect of it.

Hehe, that's great and all, but it's not exactly bulletproof is it. Does it run on any newer machines (not that an Octane is exactly new). Let me restate my previous comment, Linux on MIPS will not become a viable platform. I should have know it was ported in some fashion to sgi gear, it's been done with the PS2 and IIRC the xbox, but neither probably make for the ideal desktop solution.

Well, if Debian has a package, then it has been compiled for MIPS. There's entire gigabytes of packages--check to see if what you need is there.

My bet is: it is.

Although perhaps doing the initial install is the issue?

Yeah, actually if you want to be doing 3D stuff you're probably best sticking with Irix. Linux/MIPS probably doesnt have support for hardware-accelerated GL.

Well, I admire the efforts of people that make all these ports, like getting a PS2 to run Linux. But I don't see the point of Linux on MIPS. I mean, the hardware is not that speedy by todays standards, and irix already has years of work put into it.
What does Linux have to offer compared to irix? That's a genuine question, I've never dealt with unix and linux, I'd like to know.

Porting Linux to MIPS can hardly be placed on the same level of irrelevancy as porting Linux to PS2 or XBOX.

Anybody heard of this thing called "Windows"?, hardly anyone seems to use it, but its quite good, and it has mouse support :p

deathbringer said:

Anybody heard of this thing called "Windows"?, hardly anyone seems to use it, but its quite good, and it has mouse support :p

Lies.