Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

bastards are at it again

i was reading the usa today from yesterday and there was an article on kazaa. apparantly the record industry association of america (RIAA) is going to try a new approach to stopping file sharing. now instant messages are going to start popping up on people's computers trying to scare them with things like 'we know who you are and where you live. what you're doing is wrong. stop at once.' they're going to release these things 200,000 at a time and overnight become some of the biggest spammers around.

on the other hand, i don't give a shit. i'm just going to end up buying the album in a few months anyway, what do i care if they know who i am?

I find Kazaa to be a really sub-par filesharing system. I might even call it a bad one. Last I checked, Shareaza and WinMX were both worth checking out as alternatives to Kazaa. I personally use IRC for most file exchanges, it can be quite useful provided you can locate a channel that caters to what you want.

As for the RIAA spamming threatening messages, it wasn't the first idiotic anti-piracy measure put into action, it probably won't be the last. We can only hope that the ill-thought-out actions of these organizations will backfire and cause them to perish of their own stupidity. In their attempts to halt pirates, they are attempting to injure the freedom of all computer users. This is stupid. Only an idiot tries to assasinate one man with a nuclear bomb.

computers and software are starting to return to its roots of openess. opensource and freeware are becoming more popular over spending massive amounts for opertating systems and software. blame bill gates for software prices, it was his idea to make shitloads of money off of it and keep source codes private. anyway music is now becoming part of this "open" movment and this is the future. i say in 20 years there will be no big music companies as this sort of things take over.
also this could creat better music. now money will be mainly made in tours and products. pop culture crap will fall out as it will not be a big money item and better music will show its face. bands who like what they do and do it just for that reason tend to be better. Also with increases in this type of technology movies will have to worry too. however most of their makeing come from theater releases

note i am not talking about bill gates makeing u pay for music. i just said how he was one who pushed for price increases and payment for software

Sorry but they aren't allowed to put software on your computer or anything like that. That's illegal. As is interfering with your computer sending or recieving files. What you read what a bunch of bullshit made up.

I should sue Gator then if it's illegal. I get like 5,000 copies of their program on my computer a month and I don't even know where it's coming from. Thank the maker for AdAware.

Alientank said:

Sorry but they aren't allowed to put software on your computer or anything like that. That's illegal. As is interfering with your computer sending or recieving files. What you read what a bunch of bullshit made up.

You think the RIAA cares about your "rights" ?

the_Danarchist said:

I should sue Gator then if it's illegal. I get like 5,000 copies of their program on my computer a month and I don't even know where it's coming from. Thank the maker for AdAware.

I don't think AdAware completely removes those wares. I use SpyBot, that achieves better results.

Use Kazaa Lite, and turn off windows messagner, and you will have defeated the hungry corporation.

I use kazaa some times. There are too many people that use file shareing. They cant go after them cuz its a huge waste of $$ and time. Pluse there are so many file shareing programs out there.
Its like that law that makes defaceing money a crime.

I don't have Kazaa on here ATM, so I can't say that it really matters to me at present :)

Oh well, I run super unix, I'm not scared.

Speaking of gay messages, how do I totally get rid of messenger? I've just started getting all those advertisements that exploit it, and I've shut messenger off on all the programs it uses, but they still come. O_O

Don't stop at Ad Aware or Spybot.

Download TweakUI (if you're using Win98 non-SE, otherwise TweakUI comes on the disc) and smooth everything you can out. Get rid of stupid animations and so on, tune up all the little things...

You can eliminate unneeded applications from your startup que with this: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml I find that some programs re-assert their startup entries if you simply delete them, so just edit the entry to do something like run a blank batch file.

Ehm... just trying to be helpful in general, kinda off-topic.

the_Danarchist said:

What the fuck is Windows Messenger?

Never used it, but I guess it's Windows's messaging program or something like that.

Windows Messenger is a basic text-messenger capable of communicating across pretty much all networks. If you're a Win2k user I know it works like this:

For a computer on your own LAN:
net sent [computer name] "[message]"

Heh, at school we all used to spam the shit out of each other, until some people fucked up and started spamming the server by using wildcards.

I don't know the syntax for sending messages to external networks, but I know it is capable.

EDIT: It's packaged with the OS.

Oh yeah, I remember. People use it to spam messages over the entire network at school, rendering computers impossible to use for minutes as the user has to click to close each message.

Oooh yeah. I remember people used it in my computer class. My friend msged me a couple times with it but I couldn't figure out how to use it so I just nodded back to her. Heh. We were using 2000 then later XP in that class.