Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fredrik said:

Vaporware.

Two laughs in the thread, and they're both by Fredrik.
Either the community is becoming more serious, or Fredrik
should try stand-up comedy.

...and Steve - they're lazy as well as gay!

GameArena said:

Nanami, I knew it did, but I usually, don't work with the Hexen code, and hey, why not make create code from scratch ;).

Because it's a waste of disk space and time?

No because then I can create exactly to my specifications, and in my opinion 10kb-100kb isn't exactly that much in the amount of size increasion (is that even a word?). Plus the Hexen spells probably have nothing that would be of too much use to me. The game mechanics for the vapor engine are very complex. Too complex to explain in fact :O.

GameArena said:

... Oh and Cyb, what is your problem? I consider myself a great coder, just ask BBG...

Buahahahahahahahahaha

Have you ever thought the reason no projects get finished is because you guys tell them there is no point?

Ravage, I have no clue, I expected better. But I guess things never change with this community.

No offence, but it might be because of all the different projects you talk about.

First it was Some one I don't remember, then it was World of War, and now this project. Every one, you make sound so ambitious and that you have done all this work coding wise.

Far be it from me to say whether you have/have not done al that work, but we never get to SEE any of this work. I frequent a message board for Pixel artists, and they have a reccomendation for coders. If they want artwork done for their project, make placeholder graphics and release a version so we can playtest it and see if we'd want to help.

Scuba Steve said:

No offence, but it might be because of all the different projects you talk about.

First it was Some one I don't remember, then it was World of War, and now this project. Every one, you make sound so ambitious and that you have done all this work coding wise.

Far be it from me to say whether you have/have not done al that work, but we never get to SEE any of this work. I frequent a message board for Pixel artists, and they have a reccomendation for coders. If they want artwork done for their project, make placeholder graphics and release a version so we can playtest it and see if we'd want to help.

Yeah exactly.

Plus don't expect much out of the Doom community. If I've learned anything it's that the Doom community is a bunch of tardbiscuits.

Plus it's not like artists stand in line with salivating tongues waiting for someone to ask for their work.

If this is any help, all I have to say is just take your time. Like I did with my graphics mod, Lizard War! It took me I think two and a half years or something till I actually "finished" it. (The Pain Elemental and Lost Soul replacements are in the new ICD-Lizard, not the current one that's up at my site...) Anyways, just don't take as much time to making this thing like Duke Nukem Forever! :p.

Just try and post up some screenshots or something... Or maybe even some concept sketches? Oh wait... unless you're not an artist. (which is probably why the title is... Aww never mind, I'll shut up.)

Sounds like a great project (when finished). I sincerely hope it works out!

BTW: call me stupid, but what's a HUD?

HUD = Head Up Display. It is usually to refer to the status bar seen in most Wolf/Doom era FPS'es.

Not just Doom Era, every game usually has some form of HUD. All it means is, is the information given to the user about his current status. Although, basically anything Static can be considered a HUD.

Ravage, I'm just curious, do you have AIM/ICQ or MSNM? I really want to contact you, but am reluctant to open my mailbox because then I'll have to answer a bunch of "Hey, can you add this to Elite News" e-mails. Actually, NM, the site is down, Muhahahahahaa...

Nanami said:

Plus don't expect much out of the Doom community. If I've learned anything it's that the Doom community is a bunch of tardbiscuits.

Rofl, speak for yourself.
Remember kiddies, this isn't a trained zoo, you can't eggspect everyone to leap at your command. :D

nanami:

Is that how you think of your Doom: Enigma crew?

ravage:
You're stupid. :)

[deleted]corpofagic bastard![/deleted]
:-)

m0l0t0v said:

Is that how you think of your Doom: Enigma crew?

Actually I am disappointed in a lot of them. Some have actually been serious and made their maps, while most everyone else (even with the due date being pushed back twice) haven't even STARTED yet. And there's quite a few I need to e-mail to find out if they're even on the project anymore. Many I haven't heard from in a while, many have merely one room.

I do understand that people have been busy, and so have I. People had three months to make a map. I've been doing work and school (some of my days are 13 hours long just with that), working on two other projects, and still got my map for D:E done.

I can't say they're a bad lot, I just wish some of them had been more serious. If you say "Sure I'll make a map!" and then don't... it's a little upsetting, yes.

Nanami, I know what you mean, I come from the international game developer community. The team I was on, worked together without having to be reminded of "due dates". In fact, we were working so well, valuesoft gave us a break for a while. Which is why I'm playing around with Doom right now. It's a big change coming from a community where people actual get along, to a community where everyone seems to be bickering or taking the defensive side.

I'm guessing that in most cases, "not enough time" or "too busy" are just excuses when the real factor is just loss of motivation. People start off with a vision of how great their map or the entire project will look when it's done and this gives them the incentive to start. But somewhere along the line they just lose interest...not sure why it happens. I guess there is such a thing as having too much time on your hands. I'm speaking for myself anyway, cause I've started tons of maps but haven't completed a single one yet - even though I know I have the skills necessary to complete them.

GameArena said:

Ravage, I'm just curious, do you have AIM/ICQ or MSNM? I really want to contact you, but am reluctant to open my mailbox because then I'll have to answer a bunch of "Hey, can you add this to Elite News" e-mails. Actually, NM, the site is down, Muhahahahahaa...

Nope. Although I'll have to find something sometime. :P Till then just use the DW PM.

Lavarn, I intend to finish it, unless something major comes up. In fact as I go along my vision get's more and more complex, as when I finish a feature I always move onto something else. Like I finished crouching this morning, this afternoon I'm working more with enviroment sound mapping. It never ends :P. Ravage, I'll contact you ASAP.