Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

U.S. Warns Canada

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/05/02/us_pot_rxn030502

VANCOUVER - A top White House drug policy official is threatening retaliation from the U.S. if Canada relaxes its laws against marijuana possession.

David Murray, right-hand man to U.S. "drug czar" John Walters, says he doesn't want to tread on another country's sovereignty, but warned there would be consequences if Canada proceeds with a plan to decriminalize the possession of marijuana.

David Murray

"We would have to respond. We would be forced to respond," said Murray.

Murray didn't spell out what the American response would be, but he invoked images of tie-ups at border crossings and intense bureaucracy.

"Don't start to smoke it right away."

The Toronto Star:
Calling his government "activist" and "not afraid to take on controversial issues," Prime Minister Jean Chrétien cast a nod at youth Tuesday night and vowed that marijuana would soon be decriminalized.

Dear Czar, . Sincerely, Canada.

Rotting Corpse said:

The U.S. govt needs to lay off. I Hate the U.S. I moveing to Canada.
The u.s. govt is turns in to a buch of ass holes.

you raise an excellent point. wait, nevermind, you're not making a point at all.

You have to admit though. This US government is the funniest and most entertaining government the world has seen in the last 60 million years or so. Other than that, I want those politicians to die.

"If.. if.. IF YOU LEGALIZE MARY-JANE IN CANADA.............. we'll legalize murder here! Beat THAT, FROGS!"

Damnit. Now I'll never get to move to Canada if the US decides to be Nazis like this.

really if they make it leagal it will make things here worse. first off i am strongly aginst weed being legal for one reason, poeple dont respect what it is and what it can do. in other countries i have seen it is legal but very few people use it and they seldom use it when they do. Americans dont respect it at all, or atleast what i have seen. it is not a safe drug as people may think. i see it as alright if use sparingly and when not doing anything dangerous(driving, working, firearms) and in a social setting. however america would take it too far. that lack of respect is why there is a drinking age, people dont respect beer. where i came from in was looked down on if u got piss drunk, drank too much or too often and if u drank and drove(if u had a car)

It's legal in the Netherlands where I live. You can buy it in a shop and walk out. No problem. Also, all the fights and other types of trouble I've seen were caused by alcohol. I've never had problems with marijuana smoking people, whatsoever.

When Bill Clinton was the u.s. presadent. The U.S. was o.k. Now it sucks. Bush is out of control. All hes doing is pissing off other countres. If bush ceaps it up. All the other coutnres are going ot gang up on the u.s. He just needs to mind his bissnas and stop trying to be some superhero.

Rotting Corpse said:

When Bill Clinton was the u.s. presadent. The U.S. was o.k. Now it sucks. Bush is out of control. All hes doing is pissing off other countres. If bush ceaps it up. All the other coutnres are going ot gang up on the u.s. He just needs to mind his bissnas and stop trying to be some superhero.

If only he could see that for himself.

Rotting Corpse said:

I couldn't agree more. Bush is being a jibba-jabbering foo.

Yes.. I think it would cause probles in the States if it was decriminalized in Canada. It wouldn't affect individuals per sé, but it would make jobs at the border crossing harder. Whether you like it or not, it would be illegal to bring it across the border, and make the security personell's jobs harder.

Now.. the way this is being handled is wrong. The Bush foreign policies are absurd and are making the rest of the great people who live in America look bad.

Scuba Steve said:

Yes.. I think it would cause probles in the States if it was decriminalized in Canada. It wouldn't affect individuals per sé, but it would make jobs at the border crossing harder. Whether you like it or not, it would be illegal to bring it across the border, and make the security personell's jobs harder.

Now.. the way this is being handled is wrong. The Bush foreign policies are absurd and are making the rest of the great people who live in America look bad.

Yeah, you don't go fucking threatning them. What a bunch of stupid fags the US government are.

There is no logical reason for marijuana to be illegal. Its less harmful than alcohol, and much less addictive than tobacco. The only reason that it is illegal is because back in the day, hemp was cotton's major competitor. The cotton companies/landowners were more powerful than the hemp growers so they pushed congress to illegalize the growing of it in America. Eventualy, it lead to marijuana being illegal to smoke or own in addition to being grown. Somehow, it became a socialy unacceptable drug and now its illegal for some stupid obsolete reason, and kept so due to some really bad government propaganda. Yeah, anyway...Canada has the right idea, but it could probably cause havok for border guards. But Hell... considering you can get near-life terms for just having a bunch of weed around in America combined with the fact that about half the country still does it, what the Hell do they expect?

This may not have anything directly to do with marijuana, but I think this shows why I am a bit concerned about the US foreign policy at the moment.

As a citizen of a democratic country I would like to know that the leaders I have elected are able to carry out the policies I have voted them in for (as long as it is practically possible). As long as these policies are not blatantly hostile against another nation or a demographic group.

But I fear that the unilateralist approach the US is trying to implement can result in the fact that US policy makers might be able to "override" any foreign policies that is too out of key with US party line. This is a problem because I have no democratic say in any US political matter. Thus if I believe that our drug policies need a major revision I want to be able to support this by voting in politicians who also support this notion. I don't want to depend on a political shift in another country where I have no influence.

The only "outside" political organisations I want to have a say in the policies of my own country should be made up of delegates from all involved countries that have been democratically elected.

I don't want a Pax Americana because that would mean that my democratic rights are less worth than those of a US citizen.

Sephiroth said:

In other countries i have seen it is legal but very few people use it and they seldom use it when they do.

Dude, what are you smoking?

Heh. But seriously, the US trying to influence other countries policies is nothing new. The biggest example of this is intellectual property law, where the US implements economic sanctions against countries which don't implement legislation equivilent to anything the US government passes (I believe Norway may still have sanctions against it for this reason). Go too far and you risk being labelled a dangerous or unstable state.

That's down to economics and I bet they have a role to play in this as well. Imagine if Canada did legalize marijuana, what do you think the result would be? I'd expect one effect would be a massive increase in drug tourism, especially amongst the rich younger generation. That'd be a fair amount of money flowing out of the US economy, so why not introduce massive beaurocracy to the process to make it a lot harder. Given the size of the US/Canada border I somehow doubt it would have much effect on smuggling.

The US government can just fuck off, thank you very much. Maybe they should be worried that our legal drinking age is 19 in most provinces (18 in some), too! All the 20 year olds in the US might try to smuggle booze across the border, omg! Or maybe they'd just do what they do with alcohol now: come up, drink/smoke up where it's legal (generally have some fun), and then head back home to the states. There is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about that, so what is their problem?

Maybe they should realize what the Canadian government finally realized. Weed can be a giant cash cow. Legalize it, control it (which can actually be good, since standards of quality will have to be introduced), and tax the shit out of it, like they do with booze and tobacco.

Hey, I don't remember the United States owning the rest of the world. Did that happen recently or something?

I think it probably should be legal but they should be careful what message they give by decriminalising it. People always seem to go to one of two poles: either they think its bad (drugs are bad, mmkay) or they go to the extreme opposite of claiming that its totally harmless and has no side effects, which is blatantly not true.

Alcohol is generally okay because most people are aware of the dangers of alcoholism. Its not quite the same with weed.

as far as pot goes it is more harmful, in the long run, than alcohol. Also certine chemicals are more common than it tobacco. to say it is harmless is somewhat foolish, sure it may not do much damage now. Hey i am a biology major and i studied this for a class.
THC binds to fat cells, prefering the fat cells that line nerves. THC remians until the cell dies, and it interfers with nerve impluses when it has remained for long periods of time. studdies also indicate that this binding of the THC can lead to cancer or degeneration of nerve cells. however it takes years!
like i said i would have nothing wrong with it being legal if people respected it. Also it does have many medical uses(without smokeing and THC) and is being made into a number of drugs. personaly it is an interesting plant to study if u get the chance, though i dont like smoking it

The US only owns the world because the illuminati owns the US.

Oh yeah, and I'm a recent initiate of teh order of the sweet leaf.

Key concept people are missing:

Decriminalization and legalization are two different things - Canada wants to decriminalize. This means the use and possession of the drug is still illegal, and you would still get arrested if caught with it. But with decriminalization, it would not be recorded on your 'permanent record' ie: you would not be convicted with the crime.

I think Dave Murray is getting confused between the two different '-izations'.

So don't think that when weed is decriminalized you can just come up here and start smokin freely in public!

So basicaly it would be the same as like a DUI or maybe its a DWI...I get confused. People who get those just have to pay fines or somethineg. Wait...maybe it does go on permanant records. Okay, I know nothing about the legal system. I admit it.

timmie said:

The US government can just fuck off, thank you very much. Maybe they should be worried that our legal drinking age is 19 in most provinces (18 in some), too!

16 here.