Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

More new half life 2 screenshots (yes screens, not scans)

They look more like oil paintings to me than in-game screenshots or concept art.

The models don't look so hot but the engine is fantastic.

Heh either the designers don't have a clue about cinematic lighting, or the screenshots were taken with WAY too high gamma.

Either way, both the tech and the game look extremely interesting.

Yeah someday, I'm gonna get a computer that can run stuff. That would be great.

*requires Cray 4 or better to run*

Damn...thats like...wow. That last shot looks real, if you got the soldier guys out of the shot.

I don't want to seohnd pessimistic, or drunk.. but do any of the light effects seen in these HL2 and other shots look like those seen in the original Quake?

Actually, the lighting effects are looking pretty bad right now. Sure the engine may have nifty particle dust effects, but the shadows being cast look far too simplistic.

I remarked that you could probably get quake3 to look like this with minimal effort, and until we see gameplay videos or get a playable demo, I stand by my words.

Wow, this stuff looks lots better than the scans, thanks for sharing. Defintitly looks more photoreal than doom3. Not better mind you, but more like real life, the lighting, the colors, the feel. But there is some bad/ugly stuff there. If you look at the second pic the light pole to the left, as well as some of the other poles in the background, don't cast any shadows. They need to fix that.
Also the visuals would greatly benefit from some specular highlights. Those who have played the leaked D3 alpha and messed with the lighting know what a HUGE difference turning them on/off makes. The closeup of the shotgun looks really bad without them, like it was made out of rusted metal.

Shot 1: Great surroundings, crappy out of place models.
Shot 2: Cool.
Shot 3: Really bad textures. (look at the ceiling)
Shot 4: Great water, but bad out of place models.
Shot 5: Great surroundings, again, but the models look stupid.

Yes. Some of it really looks cool and some doesn't... Too bad the game looks like a counterstrike clone (to me). I will still play it and give it a chance, though.

Holy fuck that looks cool. I agree with arioch on the lighting though.

Exactly. Overall they have a very realistic feel to them. Unfortunately, the lighting isn't really advanced. But this is just screenshot-analysing. I'm sure when you play the game you don't pay that much attention to that anymore.

Visually doesn't really impress me at all. Seems washed out (even in the magazine) in terms of lighting, and just generally low in contrast. I've seen better looking maps on the Q3 engine.

Has anybody played the demo of a game called Chaser? The engine is gorgeous - the specular highlighting on the weapons is the best I've seen, and the water effects/light beams/shattering glass effects rule as well.

http://www.chasergame.com

I don't think you can get a demo anywhere but PCZone at the moment though.

Heh, those shots look pretty darn cool to me.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Has anybody played the demo of a game called Chaser? The engine is gorgeous - the specular highlighting on the weapons is the best I've seen, and the water effects/light beams/shattering glass effects rule as well.

http://www.chasergame.com

I don't think you can get a demo anywhere but PCZone at the moment though.

Looks pretty ugly, IMO. Lacking in detail, fairly simple 3d models, and the lighting is pretty standard.

Well I'm impressed, but maybe that's because I still think Doom looks good :)

zarcyb said:

Looks pretty ugly, IMO. Lacking in detail, fairly simple 3d models, and the lighting is pretty standard.

you are just spoiled. spoiled I tell Yah.. SPOILED!!

I think the only bad thing to be said about this are the bug models.

They are pretty boring and look oddly pasted in. And it's good to see that 3d engines are not just good for making spooky half-lit rooms. They can make noon-day outside areas and still have lots of atmosphere.

yeah, the lighting might be fine mainly because they are outside and durring the day. doom3 is dark and gloomy.

Man, those screenies sure do look good. Exactly how far into development is the game?

Wouldn't mind getting this if it keeps looking like that :D