Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Melfice

9 Tornados, 1 Hour, 1 County

Well this weekend has been full of...wonderful?...suprises.

I went to prom, which I never go to school functions, and actually had fun.

Well today was rather interesting. I woke up this morning about 11 and checked my radar, which is the first thing I do when getting on my computer, and saw a very complex weather system.

Sooo...I knew this would be a long day. You see, I am a weather spotter, which means I have to go out into the storm and radio back information to the city PD.

Well around 2 p.m I was at my grandparents, my grandfather is a weather spotter as I am. So, we went out around 2 to watch and saw a few storm systems trying to pull it together, and about an hour later, nothing was happening so the city told the spotters to take a break. We came in and about 15 minutes later, we were under a Tornado Warning. We went out and were in Tornado warnings off and on for 4 hours straight. We ended up having 9 Tornados in Vernon County alone (that's the county I live in). So, finally the storms died down, and we were put under a Tornado Watch until 1 am, which means there's a good chance I'll be out again later. We get the worst weather during the night. Joy, eh?

Well after all this, me, my uncle, and my aunt decided to drive south where it got hit worst to check out the damage. Trees were all over the tracks and houses were ripped to shreds. It's very surreal to see all of this. So we drove south and noticed a greenness in the sky (for those of you who don't know, that mean's there is a tornadic storm close by). Finally we literally hit a wall. Right at a turn-around on the highway, all of a sudden all the traffic stopped and we saw why: A tornado enveloped in rain and baseball sized hell was just ahead and the edge we were on the edge of the debri clouds. So we turned around quickly and got out of there. For about 3 minutes the visual was no more than 1 foot in length. At that point I wasn't sure what was going to happen. The van started rocking and the hail was pounding and the wind was blowing and we couldn't see, for all we know we could have been clear off the highway or in the air at that point. Luckily we came out later. Well, after that I went home to rest up, where I am right here typing this, since i'm going to have to make another go later. All of that was merely Round 1...

I thought hell was bigger than a baseball? :P I think I'm gonna watch Twister again.

BTW, we don't get tornadoes in Pennsylvania. o_O

I thought hell was bigger than a baseball? :P I think I'm gonna watch Twister again.

Hail can be anything between Pea to Softball.

The sizes of hail I've seen or heard of:

Pea
Dime
Golfball
Baseball
Softball (what's the diff between that and baseball o_O)
Basketball...that's when you say...oh shit!

BTW, Twister, great movie, love it.

A softball is about 50% bigger than a baseball, or about the size of a duckpin bowling ball.

I know it was hail, I was just playing a pun on your spelling. ;P

Last year in the next county over we had a tornado that flattened a town like exactly 25 years after it happened in the 70's

that was cool (minus the death and bad stuff)

The entire DFW metroplex, save the very south and east edges (I'm in the northern part), is under a tornado warning. The problem with Dallas weather is it's totally unpredicatable; we had this thing a few weeks back where a perfectly clear day turned into a brutal hailstorm at nightfall. Baseball-sized hail in some places, lots of minor property dmage everywhere, and my CJS professor caught a hailstone upside the head.

Earlier today it was just normal weather then all of the sudden it poured down intense rain for an hour. Now then the sky was navy blue for the rest of the day. Like being under an ocean. Only had one tornado here in all the years I've lived in this area. And that was some kind of freak once in 100 years occourance.

Ichor said:

... or about the size of a duckpin bowling ball.

oh, yeah, we all know what THAT is...

I just saw that stuff on CNN. One ironic thing about that was this: Footage was shot from inside a stormchaser's car. The camera sees a sign saying 'keep Kansas clean' followed by a closeup of a huge tornado. Holy shit.

I live in england where the weather is very tame usually.

Having said that there was a huge electro storm here the other night. The PCs kept going on and off standby, my hair was on end and it was very, very loud. The car also wouldn't start properly and all the neighbourhood dogs were going nuts. Its was raining like an open hose. Very weird.

I just saw that stuff on CNN. One ironic thing about that was this: Footage was shot from inside a stormchaser's car. The camera sees a sign saying 'keep Kansas clean' followed by a closeup of a huge tornado. Holy shit.

Yeah, that was one of the ones I saw yesterday when spotting. It's like you just have to imagine actually seeing it in real life. It's like...omg do not come this way.

ravage said:

BTW, we don't get tornadoes in Pennsylvania. o_O

Yeah we do, but they only last a few minutes. Too many hills...

NailGunner said:

Yeah we do, but they only last a few minutes. Too many hills...

Where?

We don't get tornados here, and other disasters are pretty rare too, maybe once every 10 years or more and it's nothing spectacular. Must've been quite hard on the nerves to have 9 tornado in an hour.

9 tornados? sounds like my kind of party. i remeber the big ones up here. however between here and my old home none have touched down in recorded history