Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sargebaldy

doom alpha graphics

i got bored and decided to extract all the gfx out of the doom alphas and betas. you can get it here .
there's a different skill i didn't know about, a new death frame for the demon i wasn't aware of, and some other stuff you won't see by playing the alphas. anyway, take a look. here's one i found particularly interesting:

Actually there are quite many of the alpha textures that are rather cool. I've seen Archvile46 use them quite well in his DOM project.

Also it gave me a good reason why E3M3 feels so Base'y. Sandy must have "hellified" it after Tom Hall left. There is almost no change to the architecture.

Oh yeah, it also gave me a reason as to why map10 of Doom2 looks so damn Doom1'ish.

Yeah I've seen some of these textures in wads before (the drainage pipes and the flat with playing cards on it). Some of these would be really useful in a wad. I may grab some for ZooM or something.

That demon death is retarded. =P

The armor sprite has boots!

Did you use deutex to extract this? You might want to change the transparency color to the normal cyan: use -rgb 0 255 255

fraggle said:

Did you use deutex to extract this? You might want to change the transparency color to the normal cyan: use -rgb 0 255 255

yeah, i used deutex... heh, must have overlooked that parameter, you figure it might have just done that by default *#&!@^

I think it uses a different value by default for some reason, I cant remember why, though.

fraggle said:

The armor sprite has boots!

I thought it was 3 255 255

You can extract the sprites with deutex.

Heh, now all we need is stuff from the Heretic and Hexen alphas(if they exist).

These alpha graphics are new to some people? O_o

I got bored and was playing around and found the site and then talked to Sarge about it and he extracted the files because DeePsea can't (heh). You're welcome everybody. =P

Nanami said:

These alpha graphics are new to some people? O_o

I got bored and was playing around and found the site and then talked to Sarge about it and he extracted the files because DeePsea can't (heh). You're welcome everybody. =P

New for me...

The thing I found interesting about these graphics is that you can tell how COMPLETELY different Doom was gonna be. Clearly, at first is going to be much more "real", it was gonna mainly be offices and labs and such, much akin to Half-Life. But then it was changed. I wonder why? Maybe when Tom Hall left . . . ?

yes, it was because tom hall left. he had much more grandiose plans for doom, but carmack wanted them scaled back, pissed off hall in the process, and that's that.

Why hasn't someone used resources like this to make a "retro Doom" as Doom was first intended by judgments made from the beta?

I dunno...if they did, I never knew of it's release.

Assmaster said:

Didnt someone try to do that at some point?

Assault on Tei Tenga? Or, there's also an "Alpha Guns" mod.

Some of those patches are awesome! I might have to use them in something. Thanks Baldy.

sargebaldy said:

yes, it was because tom hall left. he had much more grandiose plans for doom, but carmack wanted them scaled back, pissed off hall in the process, and that's that.

This is just a thought...but maybe they saved the lab/tech type base levels for a later doom? I don't know, just a thought,.

Doom III

Erhm, no.

But Rise of the Triad managed to salvage all the proposed characters. Or at least their names.

Tom Hall did following levels: E1M4, E2M2, E2M4, E2M7, E3M3 and Map10. Sandy Petersen claimed credit for all of them though he hardly touched the architecture at all.

The probably most Tom Hall'ish pwad out there is Twilight Lab (twilab.wad) by Andy Badorek that also featured as map21 of Memento Mori. Another mapper that maps much in the spirit of Tom Hall is Archvile46.

Little Faith said:

Erhm, no.
Tom Hall did following levels: E1M4, E2M2, E2M4, E2M7, E3M3 and Map10. Sandy Petersen claimed credit for all of them though he hardly touched the architecture at all.

those maps coincidentally being some of "sandy peterson"'s best maps :P E1M4, E2M2, and E2M7 are probably my 3 favourite doom1 maps that weren't done by romero.

Oh, I think e2m2 is one of the best doom1 maps, imo. :)

Weirdly enough the one that got into the game with least changes was in fact map10. The alpha version and map10 are almost identical twins.