Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sargebaldy

doom alpha graphics

I tried it and found that it had very little to do with the alphas.

A few ripped sprites and some weapons that was grossly overpowered with very bad explanations as to why.

I think if you look closely at one of the COMPSTAx textures (even in the final version), it says 'Tei Tenga' on one of the monitors.

VolteFace said:

I think if you look closely at one of the COMPSTAx textures (even in the final version), it says 'Tei Tenga' on one of the monitors.

Yes it does. There's several of them in the final version that say "Tei Tenga" in one place or another.

sargebaldy said:

i haven't played it yet, but the place Tei Tenga was originally part of the doom story.

The name Tei Tenga later popped up in 3D Realm's game Terminal Velocity. It was Episode 2 Planet 1 if I recall correctly.

That and the ROTT characters, are there any other games where bits of the Doom Bible pop up?

And, does "Tei Tenga" have any sort of derivation and/or meaning or is it just something they made up?

Nami, that's what one calls a "place-holder."

When I try to import graphics from Baldy's pack into a wad (using Wintex, gonna try XWE later) the palette gets fucked (noticable on the silvery metal textures). I looked through deathz0r's sets and his that are even in the wad aren't paletted right. Compare the silver textures in Doom2.wad to Baldy's (after being imported into a wad) and deathz0r's -- the colors don't match up even on would-be same graphics.

Also, why did you include graphics that were already in the IWADs? One would think it sensible to extract only the ones that aren't redundant, save some download time for us modem users...

Ultraviolet, yeah... might as well simply give instructions on how to draw the stuff with DeuTex. Not that DeuTex's documents don't say how to already, but people that haven't used the program might be unaware it's possible (as we can see on the thread.) All this is already available in the alpha WADs themselves (the right way of distributing this material.)

Like instead of making a post saying "haw, I'm a 1337 h4x0r; I extracted the alpha/beta graphics, here they are!" one could make one saying "did you know that DeuTex has a -doom04 (etc.) switch to work with the alpha graphics" and so on (and could even have made a batch file to automate it.) But of course, that wasn't possible, since the individual that started this thread isn't altogether proficient with DeuTex himself.

Oh cool. I never saw that texture sargebaldy posted.

Too bad that other demon death is incomplete. It could use a few more frames or maybe fading out with transparency in Dosdoom/EDGE would work well. It should make a good gib death. With a Demon having 150 hit points it would be a little rare to happen but possible, so that would be pretty cool.

That zip is missing Alpha 2 stuff. Here's instructions on extracting it and some other stuff.

...and if someone in interested in recreating the Doom Alpha maps then try the map editor Yadex - also by André Majorel.

Let us know in the editing forum if you have any success.

By the way, I just realized as I was getting this link, that a new version of Yadex was recently released after a 2 year break - thanks André.

Here's the Yadex homepage:
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/yadex/

Sparky_KISS said:

...and if someone in interested in recreating the Doom Alpha maps then try the map editor Yadex - also by André Majorel.

Let us know in the editing forum if you have any success.

By the way, I just realized as I was getting this link, that a new version of Yadex was recently released after a 2 year break - thanks André.

Here's the Yadex homepage:
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/yadex/

Lament did that for me a year ago, plus I fixed any major errors that were present while converting it (I think some linedef data was screwed up), which otherwise would not be able to be ran in ZDoom. If you haven't checked out my alpha resource wads yet, click here.

How to import doom graphics with less palette fuckage:
1-Create the nessicary entry in wintex
2-Import it using "load entry from file", notice buggered plattete
3-Double click on the image to open it in paint
4-In paint use "paste from" function and put it in
5-Save image and close
6-Notice the palette is now (more or less) correct, unless the image was higher than 256 colours when it was imported, then some bits will be screwed, but its easily fixed

deathz0r: please tell me that you're still working on the Doom Alpha maps for Doom 2. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to play them.

Why Doom 2 though, a cool thing would be to use Ultimate Doom:
Episode 1 - Doom Alpha
Episode 2 - Press Release Beta
Episode 3 - Doom's Episode 1
Episode 4 - Doom II mini-episode

Obviously, Episodes 3 and 4 would require patching from the user's Doom and Doom2 iwads.

But then again, who wants to play Doom2 with Doom Alpha monsters and weapons?

yeah i agree with that. using doom2 to show an alpha of doom1 seems like a silly idea. why not just go all the way and use heretic =P i did play them though and they're pretty interesting.

Ive nicked the rifle from one of the alpha doom's and put it into my ultimate hell wad alongside the pistol, as nobody was interested in hearing..

Some of those patches are too great to throw away! (Especially the gray variant)

Speaking of alpha graphics, I grabbed one of the projectiles that never made it into doom and I'm using it for a monster.