Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueBeast

Doom 3 'Level Editors' included?

1) For some time there's been talk of an editor included with the new doom, is there any more information regarding this possibility?

2) Also, what programs does id use to create the 3d rendering with the monsters? I'm interested in 3d animation, but don't know what the programs are that do pixel shading and bumpmaps... does anyone know more about these ?

BlueBeast said:

1) For some time there's been talk of an editor included with the new doom, is there any more information regarding this possibility?

2) Also, what programs does id use to create the 3d rendering with the monsters? I'm interested in 3d animation, but don't know what the programs are that do pixel shading and bumpmaps... does anyone know more about these ?

1) yes, it IS package with the game, in fact, it's deeply interwoven into the engine or something, so it's like, supa fast.

2) MAYA is the only one that I know of (and I'm not 100% sure on it), but I know there are more.

2) maya and lightwave are confirmed, not sure if any others were used.

BlueBeast said:

The Doom3 engine is able to read native 3D file formats like .ase and .lwo

The character animations are done with MAYA and then exported from either the .ma or .mb file format to Doom3's very own .md5 game file format.

Doom3 also features a very flexible and considerably powerful scripting language which allows you to create rather impressive animations of level parts and / or 3D meshes (well, the usual machine that slaves away in a scifi fab for example) in relatively little time.

The pixel shading is done from the Doom3 renderer, the game engine so to speak.

The bumpmaps, or better the normal maps, used for these fancy per pixel lighting effects are created from high poly geometry via proprietary renderers included in the Doom3 engine.
There are ways too - like the NVIDIA normal map filter plugin for Photoshop or various tools from ATI, NVIDIA or the free ORB tool to create them from high poly geometry.

Basically you can use whatever program to create your meshes as long as it's able to export to a file format Doom3 can read (usually exporters are widely available for free, as long as MAYA file formats are not concerned).

Nothing so far is know about support for MAYA personal learning edition or Discreet's gamers edition of MAX called Gmax.

You can download a discovery edition of Lightwave on Newteks's site though, but you're limited to 400 vertex points per object layer when saving the object (=> note that Doom3 does not support objects with more than one layer).

I hope that did answer some of your questions.

(You may also consider to click the link in my signature for additional informations)

Dark Fox said:

Anyone know if the Max Modeling format will be supported?

md5

the day that you cry will be the day i regain the ability to have an erection.

Having a look at the files modelling seems like it's going to be a lot harder than before.

I wonder if the doom3 engine can handle cell shading like the new zelda game or furfighters 2. I know the Q3A engine can.

Creating new media for Doom3 semms like it's just daunting in general. When you have to create 4 layers of the same image to use the lighting effects, anyway.

And yeah, the editor and engine are integrated... in the alpha of Doom3 the doom3.exe file is both the game and the editor. It's basically the same as Q3radiant, which is nice.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Creating new media for Doom3 semms like it's just daunting in general. When you have to create 4 layers of the same image to use the lighting effects, anyway.

No one says you have to.
You can use one and the same image for diffuse, heightmap and specular, but the outcome wont be good.

On the other hand you can create lots of assets based on one and the same normal map by simply repainting the diffuse map or by using different specular maps.

At the first look it appears to be a challenge, at the second look you'll see that the possibilities outweights the additional workload by far