Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lüt

Tall sprites

Is there any way to force sprites that are 500 - 600 pixels tall into a WAD?

Otherwise Zaldron's gonna throw a fit.

I can think of one fairly easy way, and that is to split the sprite into three parts around 200 pixels high. Then add some code to join the parts together and have those parts move simultaneously to give the illusion that it's one giant sprite.

The problem isn't so much getting tall sprites in the game, but how will they look, especially from up close. Also, very tall sprites might slow down the game a bit.

If you're using ZDoom, you could scale the sprites up so they're 500 units tall.

Ichor said:

I can think of one fairly easy way, and that is to split the sprite into three parts around 200 pixels high. Then add some code to join the parts together and have those parts move simultaneously to give the illusion that it's one giant sprite.

Or flag them nogravity and put them one on top of each other. (unless it's a monster)

Enjay said:

DeePSea will import sprites that size no bother.

Hmmm? I was looking all over earlier and couldn't find any kind of sprite importer. There were editors, offsetters, renamers and in-program pixel-drawers, but no way to get new sprites in. Didn't see anything in any of the entries under "sprite" "Sprite" "spritename" "sprites" or "Sprites" in the help index.

Ultimate DooMer said:

If you're using ZDoom, you could scale the sprites up so they're 500 units tall.

It's for Millennium (winEternity).

Ultimate DooMer said:

(unless it's a monster)

It's the boss.

Lüt said:

Hmmm? I was looking all over earlier and couldn't find any kind of sprite importer. There were editors, offsetters, renamers and in-program pixel-drawers, but no way to get new sprites in. Didn't see anything in any of the entries under "sprite" "Sprite" "spritename" "sprites" or "Sprites" in the help index.

F7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Sprites are in the same format as patches. Any WAD editor that can handle 'tall textures' (e.g. DeePSea and XWE) can do this. There is no special function, just load your sprite the regular way and that's it.

I've just tried replacing the former human with a 600 * 900 "sprite". Can't say that it looked good, but it worked.

On a related note, does ANYONE here have the specification for the tall patch/sprite format?

boris said:

F7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Duh, that's the first thing I tried :P

csabo said:

Sprites are in the same format as patches. Any WAD editor that can handle 'tall textures' (e.g. DeePSea and XWE) can do this. There is no special function, just load your sprite the regular way and that's it.

Oh right, XWE, I knew I was forgetting something.

I'll try that in a bit.

For DeePsea, yes, it is the all powerful F7 button (all hail). Then pick the "merge-import multiple files into a PWAD" button. If you make sure the sprites radio button is selected, DeePsea imports them with an X offset of half their width, and a Y offset of their height. This aligns them pretty well for most monster/item sprites, or at least provides a good starting point for further tweaking.

Fredrik said:

On a related note, does ANYONE here have the specification for the tall patch/sprite format?

In terms of code decoding I assume? Pretty simple really since that was my goal when I invented them:-)

Just take the stock decoding code and keep track of the highest Y offset per column. Compare the Y offset to the highest and add the highest offset so far to the current Y offset if it's less. ZDOOM code has a clear example (many places actually). Just a few lines of extra code is all it takes.