Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

New Doom map editor in development

Looks good, like famous DEU :) But for now, WadAuthor is the Best (IMHO)

Nanami said:

Will it cost $30 with $20 updates every week?

Yes and it will automatically update over the internet, so you're forced to pay muahahahaha.

Very nice. My only comment is to make the things like miniature sprites, like in WA.

What games are supported besides Doom, are there any sort of limits, and can you change or add new things to the sprites list (for instance, editing maps for mods like Zoom, which uses new things)?

Job said:

Very nice. My only comment is to make the things like miniature sprites, like in WA.

I don't care for the sprites in WA. It's hard to see on the grid exactly where the item is IMHO. Not that I use WA very often but that's one of the reasons that I don't use it. Heh. :p

Doom Dude, that behavior can be turned off. Go to Tools|Options|Views and uncheck "Show Thing Bitmaps". You have to close and reopen the current map for this to take effect.

Pascal's editor looks very promising. I emailed him and wished him more luck than I had with XWE. (Makes me wonder why people didn't ask me questions like Ichor's - that's something which XWE does by the way.) In his reply he told me that he even has a WAD manager tool project, but it's currently on hold.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Will it have a decent line draw function like DCK?

he told me earlier on IRC it would allow for a linedef base, and wouldn't force you to finish your sectors ALA DeePSUCK. what i'm interested in is if it will allow for me to add verts independently of linedefs?

Force you to finish your sectors? What's that supposed to mean? Do you frequently create levels with unclosed sectors?

no, but when i'm making a room i generally want to figure out how i want detail in one part of a room at a time, rather than figuring everything out at the start or splitting a lot of linedefs later on. that's the primary difference between a linedef base and a sector base. i generally opt for a vertex base, but a linedef base seems tempting. a sector base is useless to me.

Easy enough - just draw the stuff on the different sides of the room in separate sectors, and then join them.

joining sectors? ewww, no thanks. my editor doesn't supporting merging anything, and i'm glad it doesn't. i like to draw my level, not assemble it like jigsaw pieces.

Yes, a vertex making function would be nice. In DCK, all you had to do to make a vertex was hold the Ctrl key and click on the line you want to split. It's very useful for rearranging a room in a hurry.

And I'd rather play Qix (very old arcade game. If you've seen it, you'll know what I mean) with my sectors, not Tetris, heheh.

oh, well that would be nice too. but i meant a way to let you have vertices all by their lonesome if you want, so you can layout a room before you've even created one.

sargebaldy said:

joining sectors? ewww, no thanks. my editor doesn't supporting merging anything, and i'm glad it doesn't. i like to draw my level, not assemble it like jigsaw pieces.

If moving two or three vertices is a problem...

I'd have to agree with Ichor on the line editing. Maybe an option for different modes of map making, say the WA way, Deepsea way, the DCK way. That would r0o><0Rz

Csabo said:

Doom Dude, that behavior can be turned off. Go to Tools|Options|Views and uncheck "Show Thing Bitmaps". You have to close and reopen the current map for this to take effect.

Or you could simply press the "shot thing bitmaps" button in the toolbar ;) Oh, and you don't need to restart for that.

sargebaldy said:

he told me earlier on IRC it would allow for a linedef base, and wouldn't force you to finish your sectors ALA DeePSUCK. what i'm interested in is if it will allow for me to add verts independently of linedefs?

You don't have to finish "sectors" at all, otherwise how could it be that you can draw just a single line? Helps to understand a product:)

Btw, there's really no such thing as a "vertex" editor nor "sector" editor. The reason you make vertices in some editors (vs drawing - the accepted method in all modern programs) is that it's much easier to code - no other reason at all. A "sector" editor is actually a prefab only editor (also much easier to code).

I suppose if a person has no clue what he's going to draw, then just popping vertices down and trying to decide what to make of them while staring into space makes some sense:) Btw, all experienced level designers realize the benefit of various merge features.

When one draws a "linedef", it means is that one step is eliminated - the step where you -have to- make a linedef from vertices. Then another step is eliminated when you -have to- make a "sector". Seemed very silly to me in 1995 and it still seems silly now to hear anyone argue this makes sense - even though I understand why this is said.

WA took this to the extreme. John's idea was - why even draw lines, just make prefabs and split/twist/merge them into the design wanted. That also makes no sense to me as the only way to build levels, but it does make sense to have prefabs. Which is why DeePsea extended this concept this even more.

As is often repeated over and over, what one learns first appears to guide one from that point on. However, getting used to something is not the same as making sense:)

Job said:

That sucks. Use spheres the represent things like you've got already, but make radius match the things radius in the game. Like DoomED. And Deep, I'm just glad you're mature enough to still hang out here despite these retards always knocking your hard work.

Gherkin, I'd love to test your editor too.

Thanks for the comments. Im not gonna hug the forum every minute anymore cuz I wanna spend that time on my editor, heh ;) But here a few answers on some questions I noticed;

Yes it will allow you to just insert vertices whereever you want. You can also split a linedef with that, yes. It also has both the ability to "generate" a sector from specifications (like, number of vertices, radius, shape, etc. Kinda like WA) and to draw your sector. I will NOT put little sprites as things, thats like skinning your windows' windows... fancy, but not usefull, just degrades performance.