Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

editing tips

i started editing maps a month ago (heh, check my sig! :) ), but i'm not all up to date on how to do things. basically i want to know these two things:

1) how do i edit 'tags'? like when i kill a monster how do i make a wall sector fall down, or end the level?

2) this might have to do with number one, but how do i make a line def warp a monster? like i walk into a room then bam! a cyberdemon teleports in front of me, or if i press a switch and i want a monster to spawn because of it.

any help would be appriciated. :)

1. This would require ZDoom. Give the monster a tid, then assign a script to adoor that will make it open once it's killed. The only way to do this in vanilla doom is to do it on one of the "boss maps". And use the appropriate tag. 666 I believe.

2. In vanilla, set up the map so that the monsters will hear you somehow (sound pipes or clone sectors or whatever else you eant to use). Then set a line to open a door that will allow them access to a teleport line. In ZDoom, you can just spawn 'em.

monochrome said:

1) how do i edit 'tags'? like when i kill a monster how do i make a wall sector fall down, or end the level?

You can do as Assmaster says, and use ZDooM. Alternatively, on specific maps you can trigger specific actions when you kill all instances of specific enemy types. For example, on DooM2 Map07 you can cause sectors with tag number 666 to lower when all the Mancubuses (Mancubi?) are dead. Also in Map07, sectors with tag number 667 will rise by the height of the front sidedef texture (to a maximum of 64) when all the arachnotrons are dead. Also, on other maps you can open doors tagged 666 when all Commander Keens have been destroyed.

Ultimate DooM has similar tags in the episode end maps.

2) ... how do i make a line def warp a monster? .... or if i press a switch and i want a monster to spawn because of it.

In vanilla DooM you can make the linedef to be crossed or the switch to be activated do the same thing, i.e., what Assmaster said -- lower a wall or raise a door so that enemies can cross a line and teleport into the desired location. In ZDooM you can assign an enemy spawn special to the linedef or switch.

Don't forget "lower floor to lowest adjacent" when all Barons are dead in E1M8, tag 666.

E4M6 also has an "open door fast" when all Cyberdemons are killed. Tag 666 as well.