Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do you pronounce "Caco"?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "Caco"?

• Kah-ko
    • Kay-ko
    • Latin...what? Whatever.

Caco is Latin for "bad". Heh, those tricky id folks, using Latin like that. Bad-demon. Anyway, apparently it's true pronounciation is supposed 'Kah-ko' though I've heard it pronounced 'Kay-ko' in reference to the Cacodemon. How do you pronounce it?

Actualy, a Cacodemon is a particularly nasty form of demon. Id didn't make it up.

the_Danarchist said:

Actualy, a Cacodemon is a particularly nasty form of demon. Id didn't make it up.

Hm, I just thought they tacked "caco" onto "demon" and made cacodemon. I suppose I forgot about that context of cacodemon.

In Wizardry 5 (which I think was made before Doom 2), one of the last monsters before the final boss was a big, ugly, red thing called a Cacodemon (I pronounce it similar to 'cackle'). Other than being a bit on the chubby side, it seemed to look like most any other demon. And yes, it had two eyes, and didn't fly.

Job said:

Caco is Latin for "bad".

Really? According to my Latin dictionary, the Latin word for bad is malus (-a, -um). Caco is the first person singular of the verb cacare, meaning "to evacuate the bowels" (i.e. caco = I shit). [Conjugation: caco, cacas, cacat, cacamus, cacatis, cacunt.]

On that basis, Hissy is a close relative of Mr Hankey.

Jonathan said:

Cack oh

That's how I say it (although for a long time it was a 'tomato monster').

Job said:

Hm, I just thought they tacked "caco" onto "demon" and made cacodemon.

heh, that's what i thought too. caco (evil) + demon (demon) == evil demon, with a fresher Latin name

Caco=bad. Just read Bart Simpsons Guide To Life! While we're talking about demon names, I think Mancubus is a play on Incubus and Succubus, Revenant is French for spectre, and there are probably more.

Grazza said:

Really? According to my Latin dictionary, the Latin word for bad is malus (-a, -um). Caco is the first person singular of the verb cacare, meaning "to evacuate the bowels" (i.e. caco = I shit). [Conjugation: caco, cacas, cacat, cacamus, cacatis, cacunt.]

So cacodemons are just excrementals (Golgothans)?

insertwackynamehere# said:

Caco=bad. Just read Bart Simpsons Guide To Life! While we're talking about demon names, I think Mancubus is a play on Incubus and Succubus, Revenant is French for spectre, and there are probably more.

Makes sense, they have those twos assholes in the back..

theres a Cacodemon in UO. but then again, all the demons are the same in UO and just have different names, so its just a variation of the demons' names

Only within the last year or so they added "Cacodaemon" as a random name for demons in Ultima. They probably got the idea from Doom.

Although I and pretty much everyone pronounces it cah-ko/cack-o demon. I think I remember seeing on Doomworld once that it was actually pronounced cay-sho and it had something to do with the hissing sound they make or some type of noise. I think the original source might have been Romero or someone but I don't quite remember.

Ok, how do you pronounce 'cacophony', which uses the same word?

Ichor said:

Ok, how do you pronounce 'cacophony', which uses the same word?

"Kah-kah-phony".

Gokuma said:

Only within the last year or so they added "Cacodaemon" as a random name for demons in Ultima. They probably got the idea from Doom.

im not denying they got it from doom, but i played uo back from jan 99-march 2002 and for as long as i can remember there's been a cacodaemon named demon in uo.