Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FitterHappier

What should this noob do?

Well, here we go. My life story... I played Doom 2 for the first time when I was about 6 years old (in '95 I believe). I played a couple of the demos before but never the full version. I bought some back with Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Master Levels. The thing is though. I have all these very strange feelings. Some people would classify it as nostaglia and most likely they are right. I was playing some demos of doom 2 along with some old games and I had all these strange feelings. I felt alone and cold. I wondered "I am so alone in these hallways. No one else is walking around these same levels. What am I doing here?" I felt far back in the past and I remembered the feelings I had as a child. Being amazed and bewildered at the game. It have this fresh feel to it. Me playing with eyes wide open. Now I feel all isolated and lonely. I feel sort of excited with butterflys but almost scared on the other side. I do feel as if I wish I could go back into those child eyes and back to those days. Can anyone explain to me what this is? Anyone else experience these feelings or something of that nature.
Another thing. What should I do when I first get the games? Beat the in order? Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and then play around with master levels? I was thinking about doing level editing but I am scared to mess around with these ancient tools as I have the same nostaglia like feeling about them also. Also, I am running Windows XP, what should I do in that situation. What about these things I keep hearing about called "ports". I really hope you guys don't mind me asking such questions but I feel like a newbie and sometimes a little help goes a long way. Thanks in advance!

Play them in order, late at night, with all the lights out and the sound up really loud (provided you live alone), like I wished I'd done the first time I played doom.

FitterHappier said:
What about these things I keep hearing about called "ports". I really hope you guys don't mind me asking such questions but I feel like a newbie and sometimes a little help goes a long way. Thanks in advance!

"Source ports" are the main reason doomworld is a big as it is. They’re sort of user made patches that add new fetures like coloured lighting, mouse look, windows support ect.Try a few.
but I'd suggest finishing doom at least once with the old exe's...

Ok, now I have Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and the master levels. Right now I just played through about the first 5 levels of Ultimate Doom. I have downloaded Legacy and PRBoom. Nothing really special that I see... I am running windows xp professional so what level editors would be possibly compatable? Thanks!

FitterHappier, I can feel DOOM is not for you (do not dismiss my insight... it's one of those intuitive gut feelings that cannot be wrong.) I suggest you delete it from your HDD. You're better off doing something else.

myk said:

FitterHappier, I can feel DOOM is not for you (do not dismiss my insight... it's one of those intuitive gut feelings that cannot be wrong.) I suggest you delete it from your HDD. You're better off doing something else.

^_^ dude, you drunk? :P

err...I meant to say...Where'd that come from?