Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BlueSonnet

Nightmare mode poll

I was playing ultimate doom on nightmare mode and i was wondering. How many people play doom on nightmare mode or any other game with a similar-styled difficulty?

My guess is not many people play -nightmare mode. They only make up a small part of all the demos on the DSDA and Compet-n sites.

You have to be a real stud to do them without cheating. Not for the faint of heart, max runs are very hard in the mode, Speed runs are a bit easier in most cases.

The only way to play doom in nightmare mode is with the lights off and some Craddle of Filth music on the headphones.

punto.

Janderson said:

Is there supposed to be a poll here?

Well there was but i forgot to put in the poll option. *doh*

Just try to Ignore that fact. I'm only interested in opinions at the moment, not poll results.

Nightmare sucks. I like it when the monsters stay dead. Plus you always end up with waaaay too much ammo. UV and fastmonsters is the way to go IMO.

IMO playing nightmare mode is like a one-off. The ultimate test to prove that you're good at the game. It's not really good for playing again and again and not good to play with TCs and megawads.

Usually i just play doom on UV. PSX or N64 doom don't have fast monsters or Nightmare.

Nightmare is the man, but I usually just play on UV at regular games.

Mainly I play on HMP, UV when I want a real challenge. I hardly ever go near Nightmare. Nightmare is just too damn hard for me, IMO.

NM totally rules. I always want to get to know a map before trying it on NM though, but if it looks possible I'll often have a go if I'm in the mood. Also UV Pacifist - I find that about as challenging on average; either way, you're constantly surrounded by monsters.

I'm not aware of any other games having anything quite like Nightmare.

Never. I can hardly handle Hurt Me Plenty, let alone Nightmare! I really am crap (in general) at playing games. I like to play racing games at the highest difficulty settings though.

I've tried it a few times. It's not something I do often though, because I'm actually a pretty lame player. I did make it as far as E1M3 on Nightmare mode, but then between the zombies and the piggies, I was dead meat.

If I recall correctly, when I first downloaded the shareware edition of Doom, and I got to the difficulty select screen, I chose the hardest level of difficulty as was my habit at the time, and when it gave me the warning message I scoffed and went ahead. I didn't scoff for long. I don't immediately start new games on the hardest skill anymore either.

And Grazza is right, I can't think of any other game that plays anything like Doom's Nightmare mode.

It doesn't make Nightmare a bad game difficulty mode if you cannot take lots of blood ;)

Heh, maybe he means Nick Baker.

rofl, I didn't mean to refer to Nick :)

I meant like "Nightmare (the mode) is the coolest", heh

Draconio said:

And Grazza is right, I can't think of any other game that plays anything like Doom's Nightmare mode.

Come to think of it, no game (unless it was Doom), not even Heretic or Hexen had a true Nightmare mode, it was basically just fast monsters. No respawning either, I wonder why they took that out of Heretic and Hexen's Nightmare modes.

IIRC, Doom's Nightmare mode was originally a kind of joke (in response to some playtesters' comments that UV was too easy), and was not intended to be playable. If this was still the view at the time Heretic and Hexen were being developed, then the lack of respawning might have been to make skill 5 "playable".

BlueSonnet said:

I was playing ultimate doom on nightmare mode and i was wondering. How many people play doom on nightmare mode or any other game with a similar-styled difficulty?

Heretic and Hexen on skill 5, but that was before ZDoom had full support for them.