Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

"E1style"

Recommended Posts

This new wad sports a bit of an e1 and Doom2-midgame style (good for speedrunning competitions). So, if you enjoy fast-paced levels with tons of enemies (Serious Sam style gameplay), this wad should be right up your alley. You can download the file here.

*Props to SargeBaldy for holding this for me.

Share this post


Link to post

hmm... the first secret door should not have lower pegged, it looks bad. It look like the door disapper instead of open.
But overall a nice map. But it could miss a cg in the start of the outside area.

Share this post


Link to post

Very nice little map. Looks good for speedrunning - plenty of decisions about what to kill and what to ignore.

It might be nice to have a berserk somewhere near the start (and, to compensate, a bit less shotgun ammo). And maybe the exit should be a bit better defended (either a "wall" of small monsters or one or two really big ones) - once you get the megasphere, exiting is pretty trivial.

Share this post


Link to post
Torn said:

hmm... the first secret door should not have lower pegged, it looks bad. It look like the door disapper instead of open.
But overall a nice map. But it could miss a cg in the start of the outside area.

I did the lower pegged because it just looks kind of neat :) As for the cg, there's one in the slime room, as well as a ssg, if you find the secret...

Grazza: Originally, I had included a berserk pack in the same spot as the chainsaw, for those on the 1/2 difficulty but decided it was best to have a chainsaw. As for the end part, I guess I just didn't make it tough enough...I was hoping those teleporting barons would've been adequate resistance. But yeah, I'm glad it ran well for speedrunning, that was one of the intents.

Share this post


Link to post

A berserk would make the map far more fun, especially for -fast and NM (the chainsaw is of limited use vs fast demons, or most of the bigger monsters on UV). Maybe next to the yellow key would be a good place for it.

Also, you might like to consider thinning out that pack of demons near the start, so as to make Pacifist more attemptable. And adding a couple of teleporters in the poison pits in the yellow key area.

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

A berserk would make the map far more fun, especially for -fast and NM (the chainsaw is of limited use vs fast demons, or most of the bigger monsters on UV). Maybe next to the yellow key would be a good place for it.

Also, you might like to consider thinning out that pack of demons near the start, so as to make Pacifist more attemptable. And adding a couple of teleporters in the poison pits in the yellow key area.

Yeah, I think I'll revise the wad and repost it. Did you get the ssg? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Job said:

Did you get the ssg? ;)

Yes, but I'd skip it in a pure speedrun (I've just done a sloppy 1:33).

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

Yes, but I'd skip it in a pure speedrun (I've just done a sloppy 1:33).

I'm not sure whether to say congrats or not. :) I haven't established a par. Though I made it through on difficulty 3 in about 3:15 after killing all/most of the monsters. BTW, I hope the SSG secret wasn't too subtle.

Share this post


Link to post

I've just e-mailed you a slightly less sloppy one. I bet a doomgod could do it in 1:10 somehow. 1:30 makes sense as a par time, if you want to use the same sort of basis as id did for the original maps.

Share this post


Link to post

Heh, I'm glad it's being used for speedrunning. I think I'll make a speedrun map series. Any suggestions on what you wanna see it? Level themes, setups, etc? Otherwise I'll just keep doing what I did in this map and more.

Share this post


Link to post

Just sent 2 lmps, one Doom2.exe first exit and a Legacy 1.40 with comments, thanks for the play.:)

Share this post


Link to post
Ultraviolet said:

Guess I'll play it...

Heh, you sound enthused. :P

Share this post


Link to post

Heh, I played the early version you sent me over AIM, it ended at the place with the SSG and the Revenants (curses!). From what I say, it looked ok, but a couple things stood out:
1. Normal textures where they shouldn't have been.
2. Texture alignment problems
Yeah, I realize you're pretty much a n00b at mapping, at least I think you are, but I thought I'd mention this anyway.

Share this post


Link to post

Heh, yes, but what you should try now, is the tasty new version. :D

Share this post


Link to post

Job I played the beta you sent me, it was fun! ;P Sorry been busy with stuff. Feel free to send the final version.

Share this post


Link to post
Use3D said:

Job I played the beta you sent me, it was fun! ;P Sorry been busy with stuff. Feel free to send the final version.

As far as I know, this version is as final as it gets. :D

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×