Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
orgazmo

suggestions on a new computer

I'm looking to get a new computer for Doom 3, of course. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on what to buy. I was looking at the Dell Deminsion XPS, is it worth a shit? I am looking to stay in the $2,000 range. Looking for both quality and reliablity. Thanks for any suggestions.

This has something to do with your upcoming computer and not Doom 3 in general or Doom 3 tech. It has nothing to do with old Doom either, so it goes in EE.

I don't want to sound gay or nothing but couple weeks ago Intel released their new Front-side bus. someone here posted about it as well.
there are other manufacturers who mimicked that design.
if you get a mobo(and a new nvidia or ati graphics card)with one of those you will have a system that will run Doom3 very well.
personally, I know my current box will run Doom3, but I'm not sure about Doom3 mods. we'll see...
since this is a DOOM forum, I must warn you that such an advanced system is really winXP(etc) only.
gosh.

orgazmo said:

I'm looking to get a new computer for Doom 3, of course. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on what to buy. I was looking at the Dell Deminsion XPS, is it worth a shit? I am looking to stay in the $2,000 range. Looking for both quality and reliablity. Thanks for any suggestions.

I hear the Dell XPS sucks ass.. :cool:

DON'T get a Dell: they're hell to upgrade because they have a lot of proprietary hardware and some odd case configurations, and I've had a number of problems with the other hardware they have in their cases as well.

The cheapest thing to do would be to go to a place like mwave.com and just build it yourself - my current mobo, CPU, RAM and video card all together were about $350, and putting them in a case with all new components would probably be somewhere around $1000 (or $1500 if you want a high-power comp).

now now now, build it yourself, hell, you could have the most bitchen system with 1.5 grand. amd xp 2400 and an ati radion 9000 pro, and vuala, doom3 goodness!

As a matter of fact, I just did a test run on mwave.com of building a custom system, and they can put it together for you for about $80 extra, which probably isn't as much of a markup as Dell puts on their own systems.

For ~$1500 before shipping, you can get:

-a good mobo
-a 2.5 GHz P4
-512 MB 333 MHz RAM
-a Radeon 9700 128 MB
-a 200 GB hard drive
-a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card (which is a damned good sound card, and one of the best if you're not going the pro-audio production route)
-a decent case, CD-RW, DVD, keyboard, mouse, speakers, network card, all the necessities
-a 17" monitor

Shipping will probably be a bit costly, but overall you'll be getting a good system for cheaper than Dell would sell it, plus you don't have all the hassles of shitty proprietary hardware!

aca said:

Uh, why wouldn't it run mods?

mods always run slower -- less optimized or just simply doing more.
look at DOOM -- surely zdoom specific wads run significantly slower than Iwad maps.
if you ever play RA3 or Natural Selection online, you;'d know just what I mean.
My current machine is a Dell, and it is a sweet machine (heh) -- I haven't had any problem with it at all; and none of the major components are Dell-specific -- the mobo is Intel, the graphics card is nVidia, the hard drives are Samsung or something, etc... but then, I never plan on upgrading this system since it must use win98se.
Before you invest in a new pc, you should know what specs you want -- system bus speeds, number of hard drives, type of RAM, etc...

Dell is great, but don't bother getting a desktop. If it's going to be a desktop, avoid brand names like Dell, Gateway, IBM, et cetera.

Go to Fry's, buy $1000 in parts, and put it together yourself.

I bought $800 in parts and recycled some old parts to end up with a machine that would have cost $2000 new.

IMJack said:

Go to Fry's, buy $1000 in parts, and put it together yourself.

I bought $800 in parts and recycled some old parts to end up with a machine that would have cost $2000 new.

Those of us who don't have a Fry's nearby should use mwave.com like I already suggested. :P

Yeah, my comp cost me $730 (including $50 I paid some peeps to build it)

Athlonxp 2100 (1.73 ghz)
GF4
20gb hd
asus mobo
512 ram
sblive

If you don't want to build it yourself, try ABS. They have pretty good prices, and every weekend they have offers on stuff like free shipping. I got a computer from them back when Half-Life came out and I didn't start having any problems with it until just recently, and even then that's just because of it's age and the fact that I never turned it off. But then again, building it yourself is usually the cheapest way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Mac, but you did not post that in another thread?

Ubik said:

As a matter of fact, I just did a test run on mwave.com of building a custom system, and they can put it together for you for about $80 extra, which probably isn't as much of a markup as Dell puts on their own systems.

For ~$1500 before shipping, you can get:

-a good mobo
-a 2.5 GHz P4
-512 MB 333 MHz RAM
-a Radeon 9700 128 MB
-a 200 GB hard drive
-a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card (which is a damned good sound card, and one of the best if you're not going the pro-audio production route)
-a decent case, CD-RW, DVD, keyboard, mouse, speakers, network card, all the necessities
-a 17" monitor

Shipping will probably be a bit costly, but overall you'll be getting a good system for cheaper than Dell would sell it, plus you don't have all the hassles of shitty proprietary hardware!

Heh, I got better for less :)

And it's German! Build Quality!!! Still, I queued up for a special deal, that spec you give is about the right price, now.

2.4C p4
2x 512 mb kingston hyper-x 3500 ram
slk-900 heatsink
tornado 92 mm fan
9800 pro 128 mb

You can listen to these guys, or listen to someone who builds computers regularly. If your in the states use newegg.com best site there is.