Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmonger X

Collectors Edition & Master Levels

I need some help. I've been running Doom Collectors Edition on Windows XP and I just got a copy of Master Levels for Doom II and I have no idea how to make it work. Anyone got any advice? Thanks.

Put the master levels in the same folder as doom2.exe (I'm assuming that the Collector's Edition uses doom2.exe) and then "find" the .exe with "run" in the start menu. Then use the -file command line, so you should have something that looks like this :

c:\doom2\doom2.exe -file master1.wad

I don't know all the wads, but just place the wad names in there.

Then again, if you don't want to run Doom2, Final Doom, Ultimate Doom, or the Master Levels with Doom2.exe (which you can't properly on XP anyway), get a source port, such as ZDoom, or JDoom.

And if you're looking for a nice graphical interface to avoid the commandline when using ZDoom(or most other source ports) then check out my sig ;)

BBG said:

I'm assuming that the Collector's Edition uses doom2.exe

Nope, DooM 95 :(

Epyo said:

Nope, DooM 95 :(

yes, that is truly disappointing... perhaps disgusting is a better word.

Opulent said:

yes, that is truly disappointing... perhaps disgusting is a better word.

Seriously, you couldn't sell any software with a DOS executable today to the general public. But where's the problem? The original EXE can be downloaded here on DoomWorld and most source ports offer better quality anyway.

Deathmonger X said:
I need some help. I've been running Doom Collectors Edition on Windows XP and I just got a copy of Master Levels for Doom II and I have no idea how to make it work. Anyone got any advice? Thanks.

In case this isn't a troll-post (I mean the initial post... all the other posts are indeed useless):

If I'm not mistaken running custom PWADs is explained in the PDF manuals contained in the Collectors Edition CD (which are installed on your HDD when you install the game.) The Master Levels are DOOM II PWADs. To play each WAD, select DOOM2 as the Game WAD file, then browse for the folder you placed the Master Levels in, and select the Custom WAD you want to play, choosing the Skill Level you prefer and the Level the map in the Master Levels WAD uses (this is specified in the text file for each WAD, probably Level 1 in all cases.)

Graf Zahl said:
Seriously, you couldn't sell any software with a DOS executable today to the general public. But where's the problem? The original EXE can be downloaded here on DoomWorld and most source ports offer better quality anyway.

The problem is that DOOM is a DOS game, and thus the original executables must be included. Quite a large number of ppl may have no idea where to get them online (or may have no .net access to begin with).
So there they are, stuck with a limited-functionality, slow-ass DirectX port from 1995 that doesn't even support mouse due to the proprietary virtual mouse driver missing from the CDROM (and it's useless under Win2000, which doesn't support VXDs, anyway).

And I won't go into that "better quality" thing. I just hope Unreal Tournament wasn't the first computer game you played =).