Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

Doom3 At E3

Someone let me know if I'm wrong or not, but so far, every screenshot or clip I've seen of Doom3 has all been based indoors, inside some 'facility' of some kind.

I really hope the game is not going to be based on running around cramped hallways and dark rooms with brief exits outdoors, or it's going to get old quick (a'la Quake 2). However, I doubt it'll be possible to have huge city maps (like MAP15) due to the amount of memory that would need to be loaded, but who knows.

Jippy said:

Someone let me know if I'm wrong or not, but so far, every screenshot or clip I've seen of Doom3 has all been based indoors, inside some 'facility' of some kind.

I really hope the game is not going to be based on running around cramped hallways and dark rooms with brief exits outdoors, or it's going to get old quick (a'la Quake 2). However, I doubt it'll be possible to have huge city maps (like MAP15) due to the amount of memory that would need to be loaded, but who knows.

Sorry to squash your hopes, but the idders have already said once that you won't actually get outdoors. That wouldn't make sense either since you're on Mars where going outside would be suicide anyway.

I'm guessing that they won't show any actual pics of the Hell levels, that would ruin the fun :)
Then too, they could also be working on them right now.

Er, if I remember correctly (I hope I do), Doom I really didn't venture outside much (episode 3 exlcluded) so it's not like we should really have expected it anyways. Gosh, I can't believe, all that effort to get my hands on a copy of the alpha, and some wimpy 14 MB movie totally kicks the alpha's ass. Dammit, figures, doesn't it?

Took me a while...my Polski(<I think) is a touch rusty! That video was cool! and the first shots I've seen of weapons fire, gotta love the recoil.

geekmarine said:

Er, if I remember correctly (I hope I do), Doom I really didn't venture outside much (episode 3 exlcluded) so it's not like we should really have expected it anyways.

In E1 you could often see outside. I always thought one of its charms was the fact that sometimes you could gain access to those areas via hidden doors, or whatever. Though I know they've said that you won't be able to get outside, I think it'd be nice if that type of secret was reprised in some form.

<insert standard "and if there was a hope in hell that I'd have a machine that could run it" disclaimer here>

In E1 you could often see outside. I always thought one of its charms was the fact that sometimes you could gain access to those areas via hidden doors, or whatever.

To me, that was the coolest element in the entire game.

RjY said:

In E1 you could often see outside. I always thought one of its charms was the fact that sometimes you could gain access to those areas via hidden doors, or whatever. Though I know they've said that you won't be able to get outside, I think it'd be nice if that type of secret was reprised in some form.

<insert standard "and if there was a hope in hell that I'd have a machine that could run it" disclaimer here>

Afaik, there will be opportunities to look out of large windows to see the beautiful Martian landscape outside - that pretty much corresponds to those minor "outdoor" areas in Doom 1 E1 (because those weren't really outdoor areas).

But yeah, I believe we'll see huge outdoor scenarios in Hell and it's good that they keep outdoor scenarios to an absolute minimum.

God I hate outdoor scenarios. So boring, so full of totally un-fun shootouts. Damn I'm glad I'm not claustrophobic.

I allways thought Out door shoot outs suck. Exept for Serous Sam. Serous.s had good out door battle cuz there were alot fo monsters. People are saying doom 3 wont have huge waves of monsters cuz the engien cant hadndle it. So out door shoot outs in doom3 will suck.

People are saying doom 3 wont have huge waves of monsters cuz the engien cant hadndle it.

Oh, I'm sure the engine can handle it. The issue is whether people's computers can handle it.

Yeah, when I asked my question, I forgot which group I was talking to. Big city maps for Deathmatch are pretty boring, that's true, but I find the same thing for Deathmatch period. I was referring to the single play aspect of the game.

I'm hoping there will be some decent levels of Hell itself, but really hoping it's not just an "Aliens"-esque corridor romp.

Vile said:

Those spiders reminded me of a certain scene from John Carpenter's The Thing (the head sprouts legs and tries to walk out the door). The head was also upside down.

Exactly, the look is almost the same (I have the movie on DVD). As far as the lost souls: sorry, they don't do anything for me.

hmmmm, I hope they make those spiders with a low poly count, so they could have 50 of them charging at you at once without to much strain on the fps. it'd be even better if they could walk on the walls...
>:D

Psyonisis said:

Anyone notice the release date in the gamespot screens?

11/15/03

Maybe its some kind of secret code!

Interesting video. The alien element seems to have been drawn apon more than the demonic side, by the looks of things.

Related news:

"Trent Reznor is no longer involved with ID software's Doom3 project. The length of time needed to complete the gaming project has taken longer than expected. Reznor is now working full-time on the next NIN record and word is that recording is going very well. Stay tuned!

To clarify... Trent's music/sound will not be available for release in the retail game or in any further game demos."

Simply put, this is NOT GOOD.

Chris said:

Interesting video. The alien element seems to have been drawn apon more than the demonic side, by the looks of things.

there have never been aliens in doom

there have never been aliens in doom

That has been debated. Consider the game text after map06.

Chris said:

That has been debated. Consider the game text after map06.

You have entered deeply into the infested starport. But something is wrong. The monsters have brought their own reality with them, and the starport's technology is being subverted by their presence.

Ahead, you see an outpost of Hell, a fortified zone. If you can get past it, you can penetrate into the haunted heart of the starbase and find the controlling switch which holds the Earth's population hostage.