Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is there any way to get to the ninth map in the original doom in any of the episodes without warping right to it? (from one of the levels, is what i mean)

Yes there is. In each episode, there is a map which has a secret exit leading to map 9. Here's a hint for finding out for sure where the secret exits are. Warp to map 9 in any of the episodes and complete the map. Notice the map you next go to. The map right before will have the secret exit. For instance, after finishing map 9, you go to map 7, then map 6 will have the secret exit. As for where exactly are they, you'll have to find them yourself.

Hints:

E1: Nested secrets!

E2: Are flames necessarily solid?

E3: The rocket launcher has more than one use.

E4: Huh, did I hear something moving?

Little Faith said:

Hints:
E3: The rocket launcher has more than one use.

do you necessarily have to? i'm pretty sure i've managed to make the jump normally before.

I've been able to in SNES Doom, but I never could do it in PC Doom. Besides, if you do it right, you can get to the secret exit with 200 health and armor.

There is a secret in E1M3. It has to do with the pool of slime in the beggining, but I'm too tired to describe it, and you can probably use a link from someone else or some Google search.

sargebaldy said:

do you necessarily have to? i'm pretty sure i've managed to make the jump normally before.

The jump isn't even necessary. You can press the secret exit switch through the wall, from the outside.

Grazza said:

The jump isn't even necessary. You can press the secret exit switch through the wall, from the outside.

Yep, you can at that, and if you don't believe it, click here.

Heh, I wonder who originally "decided" that you need to rocket jump to get to the secret. I've always found that jump easier the normal way.

If Sandy Peterson (I'm guessing he made that map) had made the walls of that secret exit box a little thicker, and had set it farther away from the wall that you supposedly "have to" rocket jump from to get to the secret exit, it might be more of a challenge to get to E3M9. Has anyone noticed the secret levels in Doom are easy to get to?

Has anyone noticed the secret levels in Doom are easy to get to?

What exactly do you mean by "easy"? Sure, they're easy to get to once you know the way, but they aren't easy to find. The Ep1 secret level took me, um, months to find.

I still dont know how to get to the secret levels for ep2 and ep4. I refuse to watch a demo for them. I insist on finding them myself.

DooMBoy said:

... made the walls of that secret exit box a little thicker, and had set it farther away from the wall that you supposedly "have to" rocket jump from to get to the secret exit ...

If they had realized that straferunning gave you a speed/reach-through-walls boost, they would probably have made quite a few changes to the maps - or else fixed that "bug".

What is odd is that id apparently intended rocket jumps in one or two places in both Doom and Quake, yet failed to take them into account in many other places. Either that, or they were deliberately allowing some speedrunning tricks.

A lot of things obviously were speedrunning tricks, and id did the right thing including them. Sequence breaking and hidden tricks are very important for a game, at least if people are supposed to continue playing it even after they've beaten it the first time :)

If so, it would be interesting to know which were deliberate and which weren't. For instance, that little inaccessible "ledge" that makes the shortcut possible in the last room of map24 - it's either clumsy or incredibly clever mapping. And if it's clumsy, what a fluke!

And that thin ledge in E1M4, close to the yellow key, has to be deliberate!

Assmaster said:

I still dont know how to get to the secret levels for ep2 and ep4. I refuse to watch a demo for them. I insist on finding them myself.

E2 is actually the easiest of all because all you have to do is walk through a wall. Just look at the automap and watch for one area where you haven't been yet!

Graf Zahl said:

E2 is actually the easiest of all because all you have to do is walk through a wall. Just look at the automap and watch for one area where you haven't been yet!

yeah, the secret exit is easier to find on the real one on that map. the first time i played it that was the one i found first heh.

Heh, oh yeah, I remember that now. I must say that that's a heck of a shortcut.