Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Petition to include more grayish vagely insectoid bipedal monsters

Because the archvile, imp, birdman, and, uh, new thing aren't enough!

Post here to demand more two-legged gray monsters with somewhat insectoid qualities in Doom 3!

gray.jpg

Petition to abandon the new Doom 3 logo and bring back the original Doom III logo

Linguica, can you express your point, it's somewhat vague at this point. It seems that you have a problem with those creatures, explain please.

999cop said:

Petition to abandon the new Doom 3 logo and bring back the original Doom III logo

HELL YEA....Old logo was so much better with the roman numerals. Had a darker doom feel to it.
And yes come on more bipedal monsters!! and where the hell is the Baron already? <------- lol I think I just answered my own question.

Yeah, Id, can't you make your monsters GRAYER??! <slaps forehead>

999cop said:

FUCK "DOOM CUBED", GIVE US DOOM III.

Heh.

gatewatcher said:

FUCK "DOOM CUBED", GIVE US DOOM III.

Isn't that kind of like the logo for the 3rd movie of the Aleins series? Maybe they're subtly referencing the movie series.

Shaviro said:
I wish people would stop whining.

No, you are.

I must say that with the exception of the lost souls, spiders, fat zombie and new pink demon equivalent (haven't seen the evil flying babies yet), I'm not so impressed with the new enemy designs. Graphically, they look gorgeous, but the actual designs aren't really that good IMO.

//Edit: Just saw the baby pic. That RULES! Something so sinister about [un]dead babies.

I really am impressed by the new videos. It does all look outstanding and pant-wettingly scary. But... I have thought for a while that everything looked too grey. It's as if the vid's were all taken on black and white monitors.

That said, the imp picture on the USA today article does seem to be a bit more colourful

myk said:
Isn't that kind of like the logo for the 3rd movie of the Aleins series? Maybe they're subtly referencing the movie series.

Three more reasons:

"Cubed" is like saying much more that simply one step beyond DOOM II (tecnically speaking the two are very far appart)... it's kind of like what DOOM IX would have been had they released DOOM games non-stop.

The 3 is small and this "DOOM" stands out much more.

Using a 3 makes sense in relation to the more modern theme chosen for the game; lots of very techy environments, plus the monsters seem to imply a more modern looking hell; warped or strange environments as opposed to DOOM's more ancient or gothic places and decorations, where some of the monsters seem to be fantasy monsters. A II fit well with DOOM II's relatively gothic theme.

myk said:

Three more reasons:

"Cubed" is like saying much more that simply one step beyond DOOM II (tecnically speaking the two are very far appart)... it's kind of like what DOOM IX would have been had they released DOOM games non-stop.

The 3 is small and this "DOOM" stands out much more.

Using a 3 makes sense in relation to the more modern theme chosen for the game; lots of very techy environments, plus the monsters seem to imply a more modern looking hell; warped or strange environments as opposed to DOOM's more ancient or gothic places and decorations, where some of the monsters seem to be fantasy monsters. A II fit well with DOOM II's relatively gothic theme.

The "Cubed" does not inspire me much to relate to foreseeing beyond Doom ][ or whatsoever. The problem I have with the new design is that since the traditional Doom/DoomII used Roman number, I think the designer should really follow the path and continue to use it down the road(DOOM IV?). It as well would avoid confusion that "3" brings us to the original Doom's.

By your logic that the style of new design represents as future-realism, how come the colors used in the new logo are so horrible that it seems used with oldschool's colors - 8-bit, 256 colors.

999cop, well, the 3 would be there to differentiate it from the other two in some way. It's the third in the series using the DOOM name, but it's not a followup and it's different in many ways.

As for the simple colors... this game seems to stick to the basics, more or less, as do most games Carmack takes part in producing.

These are just ideas I come up with when I see things, really. As a matter of fact, I don't pay enough general attention or know enough to ascertain the logo was made by id for DOOM III (DOOM3?)

Well, imho since this is the marketing department's decision, not the developer's I believe, the logo should be visually attractive rather than being technical for reasons. And obviously as we can hear from a lot of people prefer the look of the original Doom III logo and I'm with this too.

don't you know that id needs to follow the trend of making all their games (since Doom) in one color? Let's recap:

Quake 1: brown
Quake 2: orange (or all grayish in software)
Quake 3: red
Doom 3 : gray!

so you see, with this scientific evidence and facts and stuff, Doom3 is conforming with id design standards as far as the color of each game goes.

I imagine their next game (if there is one) will be green, but that's just speculation

Hi, I'd also like to sign the petition of people who are grateful enough to the people busting their humps programming and designing quality digital entertainment that they whine and complain about every random, frivolous, half-seen thing they can before the game is even out, and might end up pirating it anyway! Because THEY owe US!

999cop said:
And obviously as we can hear from a lot of people prefer the look of the original Doom III logo and I'm with this too.

You mean some people here on this DOOM related forum? Maybe... but I'd say that's a very small minority (and not particularly witty nor too humorous one at that) among the people that might buy the game.

Ubik said:

they whine and complain about every random, frivolous, half-seen thing they can before the game is even out

i'd like to sign the petition that stops people from taking jokes too seriously

ToXiCFLUFF said:

I'm not so impressed with the new enemy designs. Graphically, they look gorgeous, but the actual designs aren't really that good IMO.

Yeah, same here. While I'm happy with most of the new designs, I'm a little disappointed with that new unidentified Demon, the Imp and maybe some other stuff too.

I like the new enemy designs... much better than simple Gayship troopers ripoffs.