Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Congestion Controlled Again

Fredrik said:

For Windows, texturizer.net]Texturizer. Or TextPad.

Heh, my vote really goes for TextPad. Best. Text editor. Evar. Plus it's free if you can ignore the nag screen when you start it up (although one day I may deign to purchase it since I use it all the time).

Karthik said:

netnomad312 -

Having a DEHACKED or MAPINFO lump in a WAD will not crash doom2.exe. That applies to ANY Doom engine for that matter - they will all only bother about lumps they recognise, and happily ignore the ones they don't (like my CCT2 entry, heh).

You do start off writing the entry in Notepad, it's that simple. You can call the file whatever you want, because when you insert it into the WAD with XWE, the extension will be removed, and you can anyway rename the entry.

About the map/cluster thing, I hope this example will make things a bit easier to understand:

Assume you're making a 32-map megawad with the story screen required to be shown after every 4 maps. Then you'd have 32 map definitions and 8 cluster definitions.

You'd write all the map descriptions first, with MAP01-4 having "cluster 1", MAP05-8 belonging to "cluster 2", and so on. Then you'd have a set of clusterdefs, from "clusterdef 1" through "clusterdef 8", describing the properties for each cluster.

A little bit of trial and error should get things working just the way you want them to. You do have to put quotes for the story text. Here you have to format things properly, because ZDoom won't word wrap the text for you; and you also have to make sure you space out the lines properly and that they don't exceed the screen's height :) Have a look at my MAPINFO entry for example.

You can reference any music lump in the MAPINFO.

And the par time should be specified in seconds, that is, your 3:00 should be written as 180.

mystery8 - Thanks!

Damn... I wish I could! This computer is missing vbrun300.dll, so I can't run Wintex. And my other computer doesn't have cct2 on it. But the A drive of this one is broken so I can't share the files...

What's this about four maps in one clusterdef? Does that mean I can't have a story screen for each map... just every four?

Now, I tried building one from scratch last night... big mistake. Every time I reopened Wintex to edit the mapinfo lump, I found TWO mapinfo lumps there, and one was empty. When I tried to delete it, the other one became empty. I kept changing the lump and making various changes, and at some point (I don't remember very well) ZDoom crashed. After that I started getting messages from Wintex saying "can't write file." I couldn't save the wad, which according to Wintex appeared to be corrupt. Luckily I had saved a backup beforehand, and so I deleted this messed-up copy and replaced it with the backup. I thought then that I'd wait until today when I had any idea at all what I was doing...

timmie said:

Heh, my vote really goes for TextPad. Best. Text editor. Evar. Plus it's free if you can ignore the nag screen when you start it up (although one day I may deign to purchase it since I use it all the time).

I've found Texturizer better, but it's unfortunately definitely unusable after the expiration of the shareware period :(

The 4 maps per cluster was just an example, if you had one map per cluster, you'd have 32 map definitions and 32 cluster definitions.

I haven't tried inserting MAPINFO or other text entries with Wintex. Like I said before, you should really try XWE, it's very convenient for this purpose.

As for text editors, I use EditPad Lite (it's totally free for non-commercial use). It's available at http://www.editpadlite.com.

Okay. So what you're saying is the number of levels included in each clusterdef equals the number of levels divided by the number of clusterdefs?

Now if only I understood why Wintex fucked everything up, I'd be ready to try again (I'd rather not get another editor).

Heh I actually use VI to look at files once in a while when I'm browing my hard disk in a command prompt. And of course I'm using it in Linux all the time :)

I figured out my error. I finally got my disk drive working and copied vbrun300.dll to this machine. So I ran Wintex and opened the MAPINFO lump from CCT2. Basically, my propblem was that I never included this line:

cluster 1

I also figured out how to do the text correctly. Excellent! Since I have no homework tonight I have a little extra time to work on this. One more thing, I noticed a double, 0.15, after the sky definition. Is this scrolling speed? I must've missed that on the mapinfo page...

netnomad312 said:

I also figured out how to do the text correctly.

One more thing, I noticed a double, 0.15, after the sky definition. Is this scrolling speed? I must've missed that on the mapinfo page...

Text working properly = cool :) No problems with other ports, etc. right?

Yes, the number is the scrolling speed. Can be positive or negative to indicate direction.

All this stuff works perfectly in ZDoom 1.22 and all later versions.

Karthik said:

Text working properly = cool :)

Heh... yeah. 'cept now it's saying I have bad syntax on a line that only says "entertext..." (see editing forum)