Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Inquirer Doesn't Love Carmack!

From the rumor mill over at The Inquirer comes a rather troubling article entitled Doom III has no multiplayer which, well, reports exactly that.

Because of the realistic nature of Doom 3 (and I saw a preview video. Hold onto your hats.) id decided to leave anything out that would detract from the overall game. First to go? Multiplayer. Because of the nature of multiplayer games, where individuals have to be able to traverse a map in any direction, often times level designers make several changes to enhance the multiplayer experience. With Doom 3, because of the workflow, an artist would create a room and it would take a week and a half to program. Any changes to the room would require reworking so id chose the economical route.

Considering id has maintained that Doom 3 will have a basic deathmatch mode at the very least, and no one else has seen fit to report such a minor detail as Doom 3 being SP-only, I would take this article with a fairly hefty boulder of salt.

Yeah I doubt they'll ship the game without a DM mode. Wouldn't be good for the reviews.

Apparently the X-prize project is consuming loads of his time. No wonder the game is delayed.

Well too bad Carmack has already said that the engine is pretty much finished, so he obviously has a little more free time to spend on his rocketry stuff.

Heh no multiplayer mode will probably kill the game for the online gaming community; I image it'd be dead pretty quickly. But when they put in at least basic networking the community will add multiplayer modes and levels to it.

Well Doom 3 was/is never going to set the multiplayer world alight, but I still find it doubtful that Id wont include any multiplayer functionality, even if they don't include any specificly deathmatch targeted maps.

Is the Inquirer related in any way to the National Enquirer perchance? :P

And whats to say ID wont just include a bunch of DM-only maps tailored to the mode, like half life, and just about any other games you care to mention..

I'm trying to remember: didn't id say at first there was not going to be multiplayer, than they changed and said there would be? Given all the rumors, I am beginning to think they are behind schedule (and maybe a lot behind). It could be that the initial release won't have any MP in it (to get a release out the door), with an MP patch to follow (if it does).

screw dm for doom3 what about coop?? ya im a huge coop junkie... i miss it not being in so many games.... for it not to be in doom3 would just blow chunks...good thing raven is doin the multiplayer part for doom3

hehe all im going to say is deus ex... it could be that doom3 will be another deus ex, meaning a multiplayer patch after the actual release of the game..wildman im with your idea on that it might happen like you say....

Hm, ive never really played coop in doom (not played much real DM either, only with bots..), but it'd be cool in doom3, like you could send one member of the team off into a dark warehouse to find something, when he doesnt come back you go looking for him and find his head on the floor, then look around for what did it and catch a sudden glimpse of a chainsaw blade, then a game over screen XD

There's a simple reason why there won't be coop in Doom 3.
Actually there is another reason even more simple than that: id has already stated that no, Doom 3 won't have coop.

But the first simple reason I was going to cover is this: The D3 monsters are so detailed and demanding that even the avarage computer won't be able to dislay much more than five characters on screen.

To play coop, it'll require the computer to at least display an additional three characters on screen for player models, which in Doom 3's case will be totally out of the question. Dammit, your computer would choke in its own hardware if it tried to accomplish displaying this many characters on screen.

What absolute rot, id has already said there will be DM in Doom3.

this goes out to the folks with doubts about doom3 read below and remember it

first off The Inquirer are a bunch of noobs doom3 does to have a netcode and support for multiplayer i would tell ya how i know but i might get in trouble trust me id wont leave us with a sp game only you know thatsbull ...think guys its id they kick ass when have they let us down ???? they havent yet prolly never will plus its doom3 just the name you know they have to go all out if not it makes them look real bad... its doom there messn with ....do the math people...id rocks

I really have to say that I wouldn't be surprised if this were true - and that's largely due to the fact that my anticipation for D3 has been falling off rapidly. Combine this possibility with the confirmed announcement that the game will follow the current trend of "short game, rich [static] content" and you have what appears to be a very pretty Half-Life clone - and I'm not talking about HL2.

auxois said:

I really have to say that I wouldn't be surprised if this were true - and that's largely due to the fact that my anticipation for D3 has been falling off rapidly. Combine this possibility with the confirmed announcement that the game will follow the current trend of "short game, rich [static] content" and you have what appears to be a very pretty Half-Life clone - and I'm not talking about HL2.

heh. If anything, HL is a Doom clone.

Shaviro said:

Every game in the last two decades has been a TOTAL FUCKING RIPOFF of Pong.

Ubik said:

Every game in the last two decades has been a TOTAL FUCKING RIPOFF of Pong.

Yes.

Ok, I may be a newbie, but after keeping up on all the DOOM news since the beginning of it's conception, I do remember distictly that Multiplayer would not be a focus of Doom3. I think the big news would be if they stated that there WOULD be MP.

Again, to some, my newbie status may undermine my comments here,
but I never expected MP in the new DOOM, and this was from a collective of information in these forums, and by interviews since the idea of making another DOOM.

Take this too with a big 'ol saltlick, but that's what i've been led to believe and have heard very little to the contrary...

dsm said:

But the first simple reason I was going to cover is this: The D3 monsters are so detailed and demanding that even the avarage computer won't be able to dislay much more than five characters on screen.

I went and tested this out in the alpha and lured 5 zombies on screen at once in e3_1. My FPS only dropped 1-3 frames. Now considering the fact that the next gen of video hardware will be out by the time this hits the shelves, it should be able to do 5 characters with ease. You're theory has been proven false.

Shaviro said:

Other than the fact that they're both first person shooters and have an 'alien' race, I would say they're far from similar.

yeah, an alien race invading earth through some sort of dimensional portal that our scientists opened by accident... :)

gay thats all i got to say is gay...ohh and to you newgen hlers halflife is a rip off of doom dare to fight me on this one and ill take my strap on rocket and do ya in the butt ya im gay like that

auxois said:

Combine this possibility with the confirmed announcement that the game will follow the current trend of "short game, rich [static] content" and you have what appears to be a very pretty Half-Life clone

WtF? Half-Life has been accused of being many things, but short? Hardly. I'd go as far to say that it's one of the longest FPS' ever.

Half-life took me an age, compared to soldier of fortune (1&2) and max payne it was huge (even if you don't count Zen)

I don't care if it's a clone of Doom, it's certainly no cheap rehash.

auxois said:

I really have to say that I wouldn't be surprised if this were true - and that's largely due to the fact that my anticipation for D3 has been falling off rapidly.

bahahaha, i agree completely! nice to see after months of arguing with me that you don't think doom3 is going to be as awesome as you were originally claiming :P

auxois said:

Combine this possibility with the confirmed announcement that the game will follow the current trend of "short game, rich [static] content" and you have what appears to be a very pretty Half-Life clone - and I'm not talking about HL2.

FPS length has been declining lately. wolf3d, doom, doom2, and quake were all rather long, as was daikatana (i guess it's a john romero thing), whereas quake2 could be beaten for the first time in a single day, and quake3.. well, quake3's about as small an fps as you can get. i don't know that i'd say HL was short though. it didn't have as many areas to it than doom, but it was pretty slow paced and took quite a while to complete. it looks to me like just as half-life cloned doom, doom3 is cloning half-life.

BlueBeast said:

Ok, I may be a newbie, but after keeping up on all the DOOM news since the beginning of it's conception, I do remember distictly that Multiplayer would not be a focus of Doom3. I think the big news would be if they stated that there WOULD be MP.

Again, to some, my newbie status may undermine my comments here,
but I never expected MP in the new DOOM, and this was from a collective of information in these forums, and by interviews since the idea of making another DOOM.

I can't believe it! After all those countless times I and others have told people that 'MP not being focus' =! no mp at all.

It was said that MP wouldn't be the focus, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't put it in there - all that means is that they won't spend above 50% of development time on trying to make a totally awesome mp system that rivals Q3A, just that they will work on it last and put *some* mp capabilities in.

I went and tested this out in the alpha and lured 5 zombies on screen at once in e3_1. My FPS only dropped 1-3 frames. Now considering the fact that the next gen of video hardware will be out by the time this hits the shelves, it should be able to do 5 characters with ease. You're theory has been proven false.

It has only been proven false once I see some on-screen evidence. I've only seen like three or four enemies total on every Doom 3 footage, legal or not-so-legal. And I know that people say all kinds of crap all the time.
For instance, you're like the only person I've come across who has said that performance drops only a little when you get five enemies on screen - everyone else I've talked to say that as soon as there are two enemies on screen simultaneously, perfomance drops enormously.

But if what you say is actually true, then I can't see a reason to be unhappy - Hell, that'd be great news!

And on another note: I find it really sad how people STILL judge a game that they've seen like 5% of. You haven't got anything to back up your claim that it'll be total Half-life other than a few screenies, one leaked alpha and a single trailer.

Wait for the game, and quit whining.

For instance, you're like the only person I've come across who has said that performance drops only a little when you get five enemies on screen

You've never talked to Shaviro?