Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Hey Zaldron

I was curious... you love hexen right? So do I. What did you think of Hexen 2? I only played the demo.

Well, lemme see...

I love Hexen II. I love it because its different. Raven made a great job by making Heretic, Hexen and Hexen II feel as different as they should (different worlds, different characters, etc etc).

Each hub represents an entire mini-game, wich is a relief since old Hexen kept recycling stuff over and over. Puzzles make more sense now (altough they're cryptic anyways).

Enemies are harder. Way harder. It balances with the lack of crowds, altough in hard setting you can find some nasty groups of archers every while.

There's no better use of the Quake engine, except Half-Life. Everything looks and feels right. Some of the scenes are still better than most FPSs out there, not speaking of polycounts or texture sizes or stuff like that, but the design. The Egyptian Hub holds the biggest amount of marvels.

Items and weapons are pretty good. There's great skinning and art direction for those, wich is really weird given the horrible horrible skinning techniques used for Quake.

Coop is were the game truly shines, because while Hexen had fantastic coop, teamplay was almost non-existant.

I remember a very beatiful scene of Hexen II. There was this Elite Archer, the first you'll ever find in the game, menacing us (me Fighter, friend Necromancer). We were low on health, so I carried a big cauldron with me so my friend could duck behind it and use it as a shield while shooting magic missles. I, only having the sword rushed towards the archer.
You should've seen that, the Archer started shooting my friend, but the cauldron holded 3 or 4 impacts before breaking. Then I runned against the fucker to confuse him with my mad dodging skills, while the necromancer finished him.

I never paid attention to the hexen level names, 'cause u have to go into the automap to see them.

HEXEN LEVEL NAMES I RECOGNIZE:

SEVEN PORTALS
GUARDIAN OF ICE
GUARDIAN OF FIRE
GUARDIAN OF STEEL

:P

Oops. That was supposed to be a reply to kris' Hexen thread.

Let me join in, since I like Hexen and Hexen2 more than most other games, including Doom and especially Doom2.

Each hub represents an entire mini-game, wich is a relief since old Hexen kept recycling stuff over and over.

Old Hexen didn't recycle stuff you ninnyhammer. Talk about recycling stuff, what's with Hub1 and Hub5 of Hexen 2?? That's what I thought.

Enemies are harder. Way harder. It balances with the lack of crowds, altough in hard setting you can find some nasty groups of archers every while.

The enemies in Hexen 2 weren't very hard at all, it seemed more like most of the characters were just weak. The archer and warlock just sucked. I forgot the classes now but I used the one who's like a fighter-equivalent... whatever guy that gets the sword. He's great. The only impossible enemy is that damn boss, there's not enough ammo in that level to do anything to it.

The Egyptian Hub holds the biggest amount of marvels.

The Egyptian Hub is the biggest pain in the ass. They made that hub for the sole purpose of selling the game strategy guides AND YOU KNOW IT!

Coop is were the game truly shines, because while Hexen had fantastic coop, teamplay was almost non-existant.

It depends on how you play it. When I played it co-op all the time, we did some amazing teamplay tactics.

Hexen 2 I thought was pretty decent, but didn't compare to the original except for the obvious new engine capabilities. A lot of it's scenes got kinda boring and totally relied on detailed textures instead of detailed level design to make them look pretty. That may work for some people, but not me. And after being able to destroy practically the entire first hub, it seems like they got WAY lazy with that aspect when it came to the later hubs. If they could have used the level design skills they had used on the original Hexen in Hexen2, that would have been truly amazing. Hexen2 seems more like fancy engine features and textures made up for the overall design. But it's a close 2nd.

Except for Witchhaven. It had some nice engine features, I remember a room in the first level that had some kinda steel mesh floor you could actually look down through, it was like a horizonal grate texture or something. I always wanted to do that in Doom without using 2,000 lines. But other than that, that game was horrible.

Except for Witchhaven. It had some nice engine features, I remember a room in the first level that had some kinda steel mesh floor you could actually look down through, it was like a horizonal grate texture or something. I always wanted to do that in Doom without using 2,000 lines. But other than that, that game was horrible.

I mean the ones made by Raven.

Oh, in that case, yeah. Raven and Medieval FPS' is like Working Designs and RPGs. You don't even have to know what the game is about to know to buy it.

Oh, in that case, yeah. Raven and Medieval FPS' is like Working Designs and RPGs. You don't even have to know what the game is about to know to buy it.

Speaking of which, has raven released any other Medieval FPS' other then heretic and hexen 1 and 2?

Well... Heretic 2 used the Quake 2 engine, but it's not exactly an FPS. You get one of those circus acrobats to play with instead of an actual character. It's supposedly Corvus from the original Heretic, but who knows how he learned all that gymnastics shit while he was stuck in that alternate dimension.

I wish they were making Hexen III.

Anyway, Lüt. The enemies in Hexen II are harder, I have no doubt of that. Of course, crowds are still more effective, but there's a couple of user made levels that are truly scary regarding the difficulty.

The design was based in textures because they couldn't go mad with the brushes. Hell, I fucked Quake's limit the first time I tried to make a decent level.

You're the only one I know with problems to control Corvus. I'm even a pretty good deathmatcher for that game.

You're the only one I know with problems to control Corvus.

What, besides the rest of the entire game community save for one or two crack addicts? Just try to run backwards and see what the hell happens.

And where do you get decent user-made Hexen 2 levels anyways? I thought they didn't exist.

Mmmh, I have downloaded lots of cool stuff from HexenWorld.net when it was actually called HexenWorld.com.

As for Corvus, there's a quite large community around it. I used years ago Gamespy3D and all the servers were filled. Lot's of people playing with no problems...even some of them using the "staff o' infinite damage forevar" cheat.

I read something about that.
I think raven is planing to do a Hexen , and Heretic 3 ,
But they could decide not to.
Hexen 3 would be great though.
Picture Raven using oh i dont know THE DOOM 3 ENGINE

I've asked them MANY times about the possibility of Hexen 3. They always said no. Though, they still told me they were working on SoF2 while no gaming site knew. Weird, huh?

Zaldron, confess now that the CEO of Raven Software is, in fact, your brother, and you asked that at a beer on the beach !

I'm fucking saying the truth. Wait, lemme check my Inbox, I might STILL have it. :)

MY NAME HERE,

Thank you for your interest in Raven Software and our products.

There are a lot of folks at Raven that share your interest in adding strong
RPG elements to our Heretic and Hexen worlds. However, we already have the
slate of projects for the upcoming year decided on and at this point, it
looks like you will have to wait a bit longer to see it happen.

But then again, don't be surprised to see a fantasy RPG coming out of Raven
in the future. This goes back to our roots and will always be a passion of
ours.

Sincerely,

Michael Crowns
Director of Product Development
Raven Software

And then :

We're working on a PlayStation II game right now as well as the sequel for
Soldier of Fortune. Our third project is unannounced.

This was WAY before SoF2 was even in the talks. And that third project's now Jedi Knight II.

damn...I want more heretic or hexen, whatever comes first !

damn...I want more heretic or hexen, whatever comes first !

Yeah. Jedi Knight and SOF can kiss my royal white irish arse.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

HEh.. I have JK, and it's pretty good... I never played Hexen that much cause the TERRIBLE Playstation version threw me off big time. And what's that about medieval fps'ers being better than,.. what's that!? DOOM?!? I'm sure they kick @$$, but DOOM!?!? DAH! Say that kinda stuff at hexenworld or whatever! I LOVE MY PRECIOUS SHOTGUN!

HEh.. I have JK, and it's pretty good...

Never said it wasn't.

I never played Hexen that much cause the TERRIBLE Playstation version threw me off big time.

I understand you, if it's anything like the N64 hexen.

And what's that about medieval fps'ers being better than,.. what's that!? DOOM?!? I'm sure they kick @$$, but DOOM!?!? DAH!

They are better then doom. Heretic has a better level design the doom, Hexen has better gameplay then doom...

Say that kinda stuff at hexenworld or whatever!

You mean planet heretic? That place sticks too much to heretic 2.

I LOVE MY PRECIOUS SHOTGUN!

Have your shotgun. I have a FIREMACE!

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

And my BFG, and my Plasa Rifle, and my chainsaw... but I'd like that sword over there... well, point is, I need to try Hexen II.

I remember downloading and playing the HeXenII demo. I thought it was OK, but it really kinda, IMO, sucked, becasue there just wasn't enough action and there were too many puzzles. It sure was pretty, though, especially in GL mode.

You cowards. The inmersion factor in Hexen II is given basically thanks to that lack of grotesque action. Anyway, it does get harder after that, specially on Mazaera.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

I ain't no coward. I'd really like to try the dang game.