Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uniQ

Question/Idea

I'm coming straight from the shower where I've had a nice idea:

What if it is possible to implement a real web browser into the gaming engine with id's "shockwave" display interface?
You could get a live plot that's updated/changed everday by the id web admin...
Or you could have to complete special missions/tasks using this online browser in order to get into secret levels and so on.

A lot more nifty thinks would be possible to think of with such a virtual game to real live interface.

what do you think? Would this be possible?

(if the game gets older this interface had to be patched that it uses content from the local disk drive or so)

Perhaps it's possible to create Solitaire or Minesweeper on such a display interface? That doesn't really add much to the game, but I'm wondering if it would be possible technology-wise.

Arno said:

Perhaps it's possible to create Solitaire or Minesweeper on such a display interface? That doesn't really add much to the game, but I'm wondering if it would be possible technology-wise.

I've already seen a "tic tac toe" mod using the alpha...so this should be possible in the final, too. Imagine little puzzles to get a doorcode, etc.

Linguica said:

Neat idea but if id does anything of the sort I will eat my hat.

You have a hat?

Like I've said before, I want to see Doom running on those computers. That'd be the ultimate technology showcase.

How about DOOM 3 running on a monitor in DOOM 3? One where you can play up to a point where you encounter the monitor with DOOM 3 on it. You start another DOOM 3 game, and another, and another, repeat et infinitum. Imagine a game within a game within a game... and all of those are the same game! Now THAT will be the ULTIMATE technology showcase. :D

Fredrik said:

Like I've said before, I want to see Doom running on those computers. That'd be the ultimate technology showcase.

Yeah, and then play deathmatch with a marine standing in another room in front of another computer. That way, if you can't win in the original Doom, you can always step away from the screen and hunt your opponent down Doom3-style.

Zoorado said:

How about DOOM 3 running on a monitor in DOOM 3? One where you can play up to a point where you encounter the monitor with DOOM 3 on it. You start another DOOM 3 game, and another, and another, repeat et infinitum. Imagine a game within a game within a game... and all of those are the same game! Now THAT will be the ULTIMATE technology showcase. :D

Fatal Error: Stack overflow.

Zoorado said:

Fatal error: Brain overflow.

Why the fuck play Doom 3 on a console in Doom 3, when you could just as well play it in the game itself?
Nah, I'd rather have a special easter egg in which you can play classic Doom on a computer in the game.

How about a room full of computers in DOOM 3? Somehing like a LAN cafe, with various games on each computer. Think about the possibilities... Imagine a 32 player DOOM 3 deathmatch, where you don't frag straightaway, but rather, rush to the LAN cafe for some "other" kinds of multiplay. Modders and mappers would have more choices too; whether to MOD for DOOM 3, or to MOD for the games displayed on the ingame monitors. :)

Zoorado said:

Modders and mappers would have more choices too; whether to MOD for DOOM 3, or to MOD for the games displayed on the ingame monitors. :)

I can imagine these mini games will become a new kind of resource for the mappers. In the future, there could be a database on Doomworld with various minigames (like tictactoe). Mappers could download these games and insert them into their maps. Just like textures and prefabs.