Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Tally screen stuffage

I know Doom 3 won't have a tally screen at the end of each map, which I'm sorta ok with (no in-between-maps screens = less interruption of the game flow). But how about having a tally over total kills, secrets and whatever you have when you beat the game? Like, after the ending sequence, you'll get an endgame tally screen that gives you the lowdown on what you missed.

I mean, the tally screens are pretty classic, and I was rather disappointed about RtCW not having a tally of kills (though it covered secrets and treasures) - man, that's the most important aspect of the tally screen: to see if you killed everything there is to kill. If I see that I missed some monsters in Doom, I automatically become more motivated to go looking for secrets.

I don't hunt secrets just to find goodies, I also hunt them to find more enemies to toast. And I could think of plenty of ways to stick demons into hidden areas in ways so that it makes sense.

Thoughts?

I totally agree. The tally-screen makes subtle hints to your subconscious like "Hey, you didn't kill everything in there, looks like you didn't really win"

I mean, I go back to each level in order to explore, I don't care about if there's monsters in the saecret areas (bonus if so).
I just like to say that I have been everywhere in each level. I bet there will be some hidden stuff in D3.

Yes, I wan some sort of stats on kills and secrets....

hmmm...it would be cool if that stats could be or is "downloaded" to your ingame PDA at the end of each "mission"/level...than you could see your past stats over the entire game.

let's hope that PDA thing is still in the game. There was no hint in the new trailer.

Goat said:

what pda are you talking about, ive never seen it?

Some id guy mentioned it in an interview. As far as I know it's still in the game, I believe a recent interview stated that, although we haven't seen it being used in the new trailer. It's supposed to keep you updated about the invasion. Sounds pretty cool.

The tally screen was great, but It will cut the realism in the game... There should be an on/off option for this feature.

I remember the PDA. I hope that still makes it!

BTW, anything new about Sarge in this game?

Personally, I'd rather not have the tally screen. It'll kill replayability and fun because you'll know what you missed. Wouldn't you rather continue to believe there's more, always analyzing the level, always appreciating its complexities, because you know there could still be more monsters or secrets out there? Even believing that there still are secrets to be found, you won't know how many or where, and you probably won't be looking for anything specific as you explore the level because you won't specifically know what to look for.

Gaming isn't about having the satisfaction of knowing that you beat the shit out of the game with 100%'s across the board, it's about having some fun, and if you're surprised every time there's something new, then you are PROBABLY still having fun.

IMO, it depends to a great extent on how much importance the exploration element gets to play. I really hope DOOM 3 gets as much exploration as DOOM, but judging from what's been shown so far, it'll probably be much more linear...

Fredrik: I sure as hell hope you're wrong. :(

In spite of my previous post, I think the PDA should have a (short range) motion/heartbeat sensor interface for once you find a portable unit (batteries not included) possibly, or some sort of uplink to base security systems (surveilance, sensors, door control) -- if you know the security codes, that is. Ooh, this could be cool: During play, "Sarge" gives you the temporary security uplink codes, but you can only use the uplink until the base computer rotates the codes. The security codes should be random per-play and where one might find the security codes should be somewhat random as well for replayability's sake. Wouldn't be much fun if you played the game once, got the security codes, and then started over knowing how to access security and then knew everything that was going on in the base... OH, and of course EM/RF interference should cause a security-blackout in some parts of the base. That could also be pseudo-random.

In fact... maybe I'll do (most of) this in ZDoom. Along with a lot of other cool effects -- Nanami's scripted-marine team, an old mod's nuclear bomb flash effect used for a base's self-destruct, things like that, it could be a major gameplay/eyecandy mod... especially once ZGL supports all the graphics stuff it did.

EDIT: The heartbeat/motion sensor and base security systems shouldn't be something you're able to work with while holding a weapon. One should have to holster it (or that could be done automatically) when using such devices. This would add to the nervous horror element -- helplessness in exchange for intel and environmental control. It would also add an opportunity for players to cover each other in co-op.

I still maintain they should leave the PDA and Sarge out because the game will be at its scariest if you have NO FUCKING CLUE what's going on, or what to do for that matter.

BUT GOD DAMN IT, WE NEED AN END-OF-GAME TALLY SCREEN! WITH KILLS!

Alboroto said:

The tally screen was great, but It will cut the realism in the game... There should be an on/off option for this feature.

I can't see how it'll "cut realism" if it's there as an endgame screen.
Dude, they can make the game as realistic and the flow as tight as necessary in the game itself, but once, you've beaten it, you've beaten it and then you'll have to start the game over again, going back to the main menu <----THAT's not realistic, and yet you don't complain about that.
Like I said, put a tally after you've watched the end movie, because then it won't interfere with the game flow or the realism.

Personally, I'd rather not have the tally screen. It'll kill replayability and fun because you'll know what you missed. Wouldn't you rather continue to believe there's more, always analyzing the level, always appreciating its complexities, because you know there could still be more monsters or secrets out there? Even believing that there still are secrets to be found, you won't know how many or where, and you probably won't be looking for anything specific as you explore the level because you won't specifically know what to look for.

On the contrary, I think it'll let you know that there's still stuff to be found, and you'll hunt for it mercilessly. I have pretty much lost interest in searching for secrets or exploring the maps further in RtCW, because I get the impression that I must have killed everything in the game.
A tally screen telling me that I only got 99% out of 100% would convince me that "damn, somehwere I missed a fucker, I'd better play this great game again and see if I can find this missing dolt".

It works for me in the old Dooms and it works for me in good ol' Wolf3d, that's enough for me to want a tally of sorts in Doom 3.

I still maintain they should leave the PDA and Sarge out because the game will be at its scariest if you have NO FUCKING CLUE what's going on, or what to do for that matter.

BUT GOD DAMN IT, WE NEED AN END-OF-GAME TALLY SCREEN! WITH KILLS!

Please do me a favour and avoid those damn caps in full sentences - I'm getting seriously tired of them.
Can't say I agree on the Sarge bit - mission objectives rock and it'll enhance that part to have someone tell you at least what overall mission objectives you've got to worry about. But, they should make it so that even Sarge isn't quite sure what to do at times, so that you might be left a bit in the dark once in a while.

Oh yeah, and he should also be a scared a bit - picture him barred into a command centre with lots of creatures banging away at the reinforced doors and trying to get him. Naturally, he should be nervous.

dsm said:

Please do me a favour and avoid those damn caps in full sentences - I'm getting seriously tired of them.
Can't say I agree on the Sarge bit - mission objectives rock and it'll enhance that part to have someone tell you at least what overall mission objectives you've got to worry about. But, they should make it so that even Sarge isn't quite sure what to do at times, so that you might be left a bit in the dark once in a while.

Oh yeah, and he should also be a scared a bit - picture him barred into a command centre with lots of creatures banging away at the reinforced doors and trying to get him. Naturally, he should be nervous.

I can live with that^... I don't use the caps that often do I?

Stats screens are always a good addition, it would be cool to have one after each level. It doesn´t matter if it´s build like one continous flowing level (like Half-Life), as long as there are loading times in between, there´s place for a stats screen.

Tetzlaff said:

Stats screens are always a good addition, it would be cool to have one after each level. It doesn´t matter if it´s build like one continous flowing level (like Half-Life), as long as there are loading times in between, there´s place for a stats screen.

He does have a point...
While waiting for the next part to load, instead of jerking off to whatever blurry images of the experience are left in your little minds after you finish a level, why not look at how well you did?