Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
niguel

the demonic head in the video

Im not sure if im the only one, or not at all, to think that the hellish head we see in the trailer, is the gateway from hell to earth. and when the camera goes into it's mouth, it makes me think of that the camera is actually the "eyes" of the creatures that hurry and run like mad men, drunken of the lust for human blood, to the the other side, our worldd... ^horrific laugh^

or then it may be some kind of temple...not sure. whaddya think?

I think it's just a decoration. Like in/around a demonic temple or something.

Whatever it is, I like it!

noticed those three moons or planets behind it? one of them is spinning. my guess is that those are marsian moons. (how many moons does mars have anyways?) so my guess is that the demons invaded the moons of mars first, before attacking the marbase itself.

I'm pretty sure Mars has 2 Moons. Phobos and Deimos. And yeah the Demons invaded the moons first - thats where the bases were. You never went to Mars in Doom.

Hopefully that head means we'll actually have horned monsters, and the baron better have horns, or something close, or I'm gonna Waco Jesus on someone's arse.

macvileVVhore said:

That seems to be the case.

You have not said hi to me at all.. what happened man?

AirRaid said:

I'm pretty sure Mars has 2 Moons. Phobos and Deimos. And yeah the Demons invaded the moons first - thats where the bases were. You never went to Mars in Doom.

Mars does, indeed, have 2 moons.... but how the fuck do you know which ones were invaded first?

I don't know, maybe because the teleportation labs were on Phobos and Deimos? Because that's apparently the way the Demons invaded? Remember that it was a mistake the UAC made in fiddling with the teleports that caused a gateway to hell to be opened. This could only really happen on one of the moons (Deimos most likely, cos that one pretty much got wholly sucked into Hell), because that where the experiments were taing place.

Dark Fox said:

You have not said hi to me at all.. what happened man?

Heheh, he got banned :) Good to see you back Mac, see if you can get your old postcount back and try not to get banned this time around! :)

I wonder if we'll be going inside that mouth for the final battle or maybe it's an opening for some big bad ass demon

AirRaid said:

I don't know, maybe because the teleportation labs were on Phobos and Deimos? Because that's apparently the way the Demons invaded? Remember that it was a mistake the UAC made in fiddling with the teleports that caused a gateway to hell to be opened. This could only really happen on one of the moons (Deimos most likely, cos that one pretty much got wholly sucked into Hell), because that where the experiments were taing place.

Yeah it does say in the original backstory that they were doing this stuff on the moon bases... but that doesn't leave out the secret base you're going to be on in the D3.

Yea I know the whole start of the game is on Mars in Doom3. I guess they're changing some parts of the story for the remake. It'd be nice if you could still go to the one or both of the moons though.

so amazing!!!

i thought the demonic head was there for show:)

what i really thought, it was where your very fisrt mission started, but i like the idea that its a teleporting thingy to get to one of the moons

teleporters are cool. It would be nice to be able to visit the moons but i'm not so sure about that happening. I sure do hope so though.

The_Aeromaster said:

Yeah it does say in the original backstory that they were doing this stuff on the moon bases... but that doesn't leave out the secret base you're going to be on in the D3.

Ok the story discussion here confuses me, so bear with me if I've misunderstood something and if my response seems totally weird.

Doom 3 is not the exact same story as in classic Doom. They changed the setting for Doom 3 slightly to make it seem more likable, don't mix the two storylines, even if Doom 3 is a retelling of Doom 1.

In the classic Doom story, it's pretty damn clear that the moons were overun first (I don't even think Mars itself ever got invaded), because the Mars base gets the sos from Phobos while everything is peaceful on Mars - which of the two moons got invaded first is questionable, though I think it's logical to assume that they both got invaded simultaneously, since they both have a link to Hell.

As for Doom 3, all we know is that the teleportation labs are on Mars itself - I don't think the demons invade the moons in Doom 3, since they're too small to house massive research bases and because it wouldn't make sense if they had two more gateways on those moons - I could accept that Phobos has a sort of "receiving gate", but there are things that suggest that Phobos will only house a small routing station in Doom 3 (I believe the code on ua-corp.com turned out to reveal a message that said: "Contact to Phobos routing station lost").

My guess is that those "moons" in the video were just ordinary floating rocks above Hell's surface, but I could be wrong all the same.
Anyway, this makes me look even more forward to Doom 3 - can't wait to figure out how the story progresses.

AirRaid said:

Yea I know the whole start of the game is on Mars in Doom3. ... It'd be nice if you could still go to the one or both of the moons though.

Maybe in a secret low gravity level (a la Comm Satellite in Quake2), but apart from that I don´t think that those two rocks would make a decent setting for a serious Doom3 mission.

Tetzlaff said:

Maybe in a secret low gravity level (a la Comm Satellite in Quake2), but apart from that I don´t think that those two rocks would make a decent setting for a serious Doom3 mission.

Maybe you have to board a space craft and while its autopilot navigates it to Phobos, you'll be busy bagging demons aboard - when the space craft level is complete, you'll exit it and find yourself on the Phobos Routing Station where you have to reestablish communication or something like that, before you board another/the same spacecraft and head back to Mars.
Dunno, previous discussions have suggested that there won't be secret maps in Doom 3, due to the fact that maps in the Doom 3 engine (and in the Q3A engine for that matter) are so much more time consuming to do.

All we can do is wait.

Neat level idea there, dsm! BTW, do you plan building Doom3 maps when it´s released?
I hope I can use some of my experiences with the Q3 Radiant to get into Doom3 level editing, if the Doom3 editor is similar to the Radiant.

Tetzlaff said:

Neat level idea there, dsm! BTW, do you plan building Doom3 maps when it´s released?
I hope I can use some of my experiences with the Q3 Radiant to get into Doom3 level editing, if the Doom3 editor is similar to the Radiant.

Actually, my idea isn't all that original: I got the inspiration from a map in Quake 2's first mission pack called "The Reckoning", where you stowaway on a Strogg ship that goes to Stroggos' moon and while it's heading for the moon, you go on a killing spree aboard to secure the freighter for touchdown - pretty cool mission actually.

It all depends on how my situation looks by then. If I've got time and if I find research into the editor rewarding enough, I'll be doing maps all right. As it is now, I can't be arsed to try things out with the Radiant editors for a number of reasons:
1. Making mp maps isn't all intriguing for me, so making maps for Q3A is sorta boring imo - I'd like to playtest it as I get along to see how the map plays (with enemies mind you), that's how I did when I tried my hand at wadauthor.
2. Playtesting as I get along means compressing the map which, as you all know, takes an eternity - I don't feel like waiting forever for a damn compressing process everytime I added a few enemies and rooms.
3. I tried getting an editor to work with RtCW with the following result that sky textures for one of RtCW's skies got missing, so instead of a pretty, sinister overcast sky, I got to stare at the gridlines of the skybox - boring. I ended up having to reinstall RtCW and it ended up discouraging me - I don't think this will be an issue in Doom 3 (the fact that you map in real time is great).

But I'm busy imagining what sort of scenarios I'll be doing in Doom 3. Motivation for building maps shouldn't be a problem at least.

dsm said:

My guess is that those "moons" in the video were just ordinary floating rocks above Hell's surface, but I could be wrong all the same.

So Hell is just another distant planet? What is the Hell then?

My guess - its a kind of hellish transformation on on of the martian moons among the humanbuilt bases...

wasted said:

So Hell is just another distant planet? What is the Hell then?

No, Hell is just a place with weird physics - that's what it is. Imagine some crazy storms that tear large chunks of rocks loose from the surface of Hell and throw them into the air where they'll float around forever - that doesn't have to be reserved to some distant planet. And if you know me well enough, you'd also know that I would NEVER EVER suggest that Hell was on a distant planet.

dsm said:

I would NEVER EVER suggest that Hell was on a distant planet.

Yeah, i knew that... I asked couse i SUGGEST that ones here, heh...

Now that I think about it, I think the cyberdemon's head will be alot different than that one.
By the way, although I actually did not see this in the video, I'd prefer to think that the "rocks" floating above Hell that you guys are talking about (which video, I would like to check this out) are Phobos and Deimos. It would give a very ominous feel to the whole situation if you saw the moons in Hell already. Kinda like seeing your own gravestone would bother you alot.

The_Aeromaster said:

Now that I think about it, I think the cyberdemon's head will be alot different than that one.
By the way, although I actually did not see this in the video, I'd prefer to think that the "rocks" floating above Hell that you guys are talking about (which video, I would like to check this out) are Phobos and Deimos. It would give a very ominous feel to the whole situation if you saw the moons in Hell already. Kinda like seeing your own gravestone would bother you alot.

Yes, I'd definitely like both moons to be floating over Hell (like Deimos did in Doom 1), but the trouble here, and the reason why I've been arguing against it in my last few posts, is that there are THREE rocks in that video (or so people say).
Mars only has two moons as it is, so these three rocks couldn't possibly be Mars' moons, unless Phobos was broken into two.