Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Disabling PrBoom output logs

PrBoom is basically driving me crazy by creating output logs (stderr.txt & stdout.txt) every time I run it. The annoying thing about it is that if I run a demo or a WAD from some random directory PB creates a log in that dir, not in it's own. I'm not really interested in filling my directories with these things, so if anyone has any idea on how to prevent PrBoom from writing them, please tell me.

Janizdreg said:

PrBoom is basically driving me crazy by creating output logs (stderr.txt & stdout.txt) every time I run it. The annoying thing about it is that if I run a demo or a WAD from some random directory PB creates a log in that dir, not in it's own. I'm not really interested in filling my directories with these things, so if anyone has any idea on how to prevent PrBoom from writing them, please tell me.

Unfortunately there is nothing to do. If I am not mistaken this is caused by the startup code for SDL. So it isn't even in the PrBoom sources. A typical result of using crappy libraries to make one's work easier.

Graf Zahl said:

Unfortunately there is nothing to do. If I am not mistaken this is caused by the startup code for SDL. So it isn't even in the PrBoom sources. A typical result of using crappy libraries to make one's work easier.

I'm confident that there's some way to disable it in the SDL API... or else, SDL does indeed suck.

Graf Zahl said:

First off, SDL is not crappy, although it has room to grow, and second, no one can be blamed for using an abstraction layer over the non-portable nightmare that is called DirectX. Its not about making it easier, its about making it understandable and maintainable.

Janizdreg said:
The annoying thing about it is that if I run a demo or a WAD from some random directory PB creates a log in that dir, not in it's own.

Weird. If I run prboom with a PWAD that's in a separate directory those files are generated but always in the directory where the engine is.

Quasar said:

First off, SDL is not crappy, although it has room to grow, and second, no one can be blamed for using an abstraction layer over the non-portable nightmare that is called DirectX. Its not about making it easier, its about making it understandable and maintainable.

If it weren't somewhat flawed in its implementation I might agree. When playing PrBoom had a massive problem with the CapsLock key that was driving me absolutely crazy. Unfortunately there is absolutely no way to disable the input part of SDL without disabling SDL entirely. (And that alone is 'crap' for me!) Furthermore, SDL effectively neutralizes almost all keyboard localization logic of Windows by relying solely on DirectInput. For Americans this may be fine but for international products you are in big trouble (I absolutely hate to be forced to use English layout on my German keyboard!)

If each subsystem could be used independently of each other, fine. The video stuff of SDL, especially the OpenGL initialization, would be great if it wasn't tied inseparably to the input stuff. But that's not the case. So in the end I ripped most the SDL input code out of the library and replaced it with native DirectX code in the game, just to fix a minor bug. No library should force a programmer ever to do something like this. It was a total nightmare.

Retox said:

I think it's the working directory where they are generated.

Launch gldoom with batch files from my desktop and stdout.txt ends up there.
Anyway I added path | del stdout.txt to get rid of it.