Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
12ga.

Surface interaction

dsm said:

I mean, iirc you should be able to hear bullets hit metal surfaces in Doom 3 and maybe there will also be other sounds for different types of walls. Fact is: We don't know shit about how iD is dealing with that kind of thing

I'm pretty sure Carmack or Willits or someone said that would definately implemented. In the Alpha you can tell when bullets hit metal, and they make a softer thud when fired into one of the random cardboard boxes in the levels.

In the sounds folder, you can find a set of "impact" sounds that's both catalogued per total collision energy and surface-to-surface type, specifically designed for everything that involves the physics engine.

But alpha sounds inclue weapons and monsters are all Tret Reznor's works. All the sound he made are gone :(

cloud4me said:

But alpha sounds inclue weapons and monsters are all Tret Reznor's works. All the sound he made are gone :(

Says who?

AirRaid said:

you can tell when bullets hit metal, and they make a softer thud when fired into one of the random cardboard boxes in the levels

Aliens Vs. Predator 2, anyone? I didn't play the original, but AVP2 had sounds for every different type of collision and so on...

Once we get some decent synth technology for impacts like that, we won't need to manually create sounds for every type of impact, we'll be able to dynamically create it based on physics... lots of extra calculation there... o'course, this'll probably come about at the same time that we get realistic destructable environments, given that the physics stuff would be related.

I was drunk when I posted this -- very drunk. Typing took lots of effort, but seeing typos is one thing, knowing whether or not I'm making sense right now is another. Please forgive me if I've said something wrong.

That was more coherent than half the posts on the forum. (I was just making a quick estimate based on a small sampling of the posts I've read over the past few days, if one of you comes up with like 62 or 63% based on every post in here, that's fine.)

The_Aeromaster said:

"Gimme that"

Hey! That's MY bazooka you basrad! :)

The Flange Peddler said:

I agree with you. id have been saying this all along, but they haven't really shown any real gameplay evidence of this yet (the trailers do show a dark, scary world yes, but they haven't shown how shadows really effect gameplay). But yeah, we'll have to wait and see.

Have you seen the trailers or are you talking out of your ass? Theyve shown shadows affecting gameplay like TEN TIMES. For example, the last scene of the leaked vid, or in the recently released vid's third to last scene.

The Flange Peddler said:

The thing about the Hell knight is interesting though. In most games enemies don't take notice of the light levels and such. They just track the player down wherever you are. Does the DooM3 enemy AI take into account lighting or can it just track the player whatever? I haven't seen much written on this topci... Though it sounds a cool idea.

No, the monster casts a shadow RIGHT OVER YOU and it FITS HIS SHAPE. that was NEVER possible up until now

Once again, this is shown and made pretty obvious in the alpha and leaked vid, YOU CAN USE LIGHT TO HIDE FROM MONSTERS.

dsm said:

I don't think it's a lame gimmick, but it certainly isn't the decisive factor in making one game better than another.
I'll wait and see how things look when both games are out. Just because this neat surface feature is revealed in HL2, doesn't mean that there isn't something almost as good in Doom 3.

NOBODY said it was. You and BBG are acting like youre paranoid that doom3 might not be the be all end all

grutsch said:

doom3: completely new engine with great future, but the way things are computed is still too hardcore to do for instance wood smashing...however in a couple of years it will be possible and this will be very cool...

ACtually remember that doom 3 has a MUCH more dynamic portal engine than anything other 3d game since Prey. Enviroments can be ripped open, collapsed, torn etc. Actually weves seen this done VERY realistically in the videos - but only as scripted sequences.

as for fredriks question, the doom3 engine is bringing us about 75% closer to a totaly destructible environments.

Wobbo, quit the multipost habit. If it's a question of postcount, be sure I'll reset it to 0.

StarFyre said:

I am not even sure if Doom 3 will be 'scary' in that sense since something would have to be hyper realistic to get that response in some people...

Sanjay

couldent agree with that post more, I am that type of person, it takes an incredible ammount of realisum/coolness and not to forget a shit load of variety in effects, environment,enemies and weapons to widen my eyes with games nowadays.