Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

SPOILER: open only if you have already seen RELOADED!

Rate Matrix Reloaded  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Rate Matrix Reloaded

• 5 - Excellent
    • 4 - Good
    • 3 - OK
    • 2 - Bad
    • 1 - Very Bad
    • 0 - Nooooooooo!!!!

What did you think of Matrix Reloaded? Give it a note between 0 & 5 and tell us what you liked and disliked.

3 - A lot of the fight scenes seemed drawn out and rather meaningless (Neo vs the Oracle's body gaurd, Neo vs Smiths), bullet time was used a bit too much, the movie was longer than it needed to be, story line wasn't that great, and it felt like half a movie. Nothing was genuinely bad, though.

david_a said:

3 - A lot of the fight scenes seemed drawn out and rather meaningless (Neo vs the Oracle's body gaurd, Neo vs Smiths), bullet time was used a bit too much, the movie was longer than it needed to be, story line wasn't that great, and it felt like half a movie. Nothing was genuinely bad, though.

I thought a lot about the storyline issue. To me, it is obvious that the quite plain research of the key-maker is a simple demonstration to what the Architect told Neo: "Leading inexorably here". IMO, that's the whole point. All of the prophecy is kinda cheesy (even in the first one - for christ sake Neo even resurrected), but that's logical since it's a simulation, a trap. Interestingly, the Merovingian gives a lot of answers to Neo and I found the passage with this character really interesting.
As for the Zion part, I know lotsa people disliked it, but I think it was important to underline that human beings are made of flesh. Notice how everything revolves around being human there (especially the discussion between Neo and the counsellor).

I was a great movie. The storyline isn't a 5/5 and a bit boring at some point, but at least it's not too long before action kicks in. It was funny to see all the people leave after the movie because they apparently didn't know that they were showing the preview of Revolution after Reloaded credits :p

I dunno if this was brought before because I didn't read the other matrix thread, but my friend and I tought that the Oracle's bodyguard is actually some kind of an anti-virus program. When Smith's (who can be the virus) comes in, the chinese guy warns the oracle. He also tests Neo to see if he's good or not. We also tought of the end of Revolution. If the creator told that the path he choose already happened 6 times then the end of Revolution could lead to the start of the 1st making it an infinite loop triology.

The only hard part IMO was with the creator. Since English isn't my 1st language, it was a bit hard to follow so I might see it again in French someday.

I give it a 5/5 for action, because the fight with Smiths in the alley was one of the most intense combat fighting I ever saw.

Fight scenes were contrived and by-the-numbers, bullet time was used much too frequently, the "code-view" that was used a few times throughout the movie seemed awfully lame. The entire opening Zion sequence committed the most greivous sin of all -- it was boring. The editing was terrible at times, most notably the leadup to the end sequence where they intercut three different times back and forth. The agents were worthless. Smith coming out of the Matrix into the real world was barely touched upon but the ending acted as if it was somehow suddenly a huge deal. CGI Neo was obvious on several occasions. Did I mention Zion was boring? The rave scene was much much too long and incredibly worthless. Everything was told and not shown -- the Oracle explaining herself, the Merovingian explaining himself, the Architect explaining himself, etc. The Keymaker was nothing more than a convenient macguffin. Neo seemed much weaker than at the end of the first movie. Link was stupid. Uh... etc etc.

what i want to know is what did neo do to those spider things. i think it is a matrix inside a matrix. i really hope the story doesn't go down that road, it would suck ass if it did(be like the matrix wannabe movie "13th floor"

What Ling said.

Yeah, why was Zion a Giant Rave? Does the final vestiges of humanity have nothing better to do, than do Ectasy and Dance to bad techno?

Scuba Steve said:

What Ling said.

Yeah, why was Zion a Giant Rave? Does the final vestiges of humanity have nothing better to do, than do Ectasy and Dance to bad techno?

Hey, they do it inside the matrix too. I think I can see how the trilogy is going to end.

Picture this:

The matrix provides Zion a truce. Instead of destroying it, everybody in Zion will have a chance to go back to the matrix, where they can do whatever it is the hell they're doing outside the matrix. Except with better food.

The scene where Neo fights the Merovingian's minions was useless and boring. Most of the Zion stuff was pretty stupid, too. The car chase didn't live up to its hype (except for the giant bullet time crash/explosion, which was neat).

I still give it 4/5, though, because it blew me away when I saw it, and I think that should be the only measurement of quality for an action film : how captivating it was. Also, the Architect scene was pretty goddamn cool, and so was Hugo Weaving in the role of Agent Smith.

look out BIG copy and paste from the other Matrix topic!!.. BTW i still say 5/5

Sweet Prince said:

I just saw it today and i thought it was great! but the fx weren't used as i think they should have been, in the 1st Matrix everything would go slow-mo when Neo or ppl were 'focused'... just like when your playing a sports game and time seems to slow down when your Adrenaline kicks in, you think and see faster and that's why things seem to slow down, and with Neo waking up/there is no spoon it all worked

but now a LOT, not all but a lot of the time, it felt like it was just to look cool and gave little feeling of controlling the Matrix or yourself in it. i mean we are Neo, he always has no clue just as we do and we kinda see everythinkg thru his eyes and so on, so i wanted to see what it was like to control the Matrix and think outside the box... but no, its just mostly for style with little reason... but but it loooked fantastic!

as for the story, it made my head hurt yet sounded like it was pretty cool if i see it a few more times and can wrap my head around it... i LOVE this kind of challenge :D

and a few ppl posting here (too many for my lazy ass to scroll up and read who said what about what) have made many good points

but as for the Matrix-in-a-Matrix, that is the 1st thing that comes to mind and if you think about it, maybe there was a war with humans and machines and the BIG Matrix was made, in THAT Matrix ppl lived and made machines and then all hell broke and the war started inside the BIG Matrix and years past and the machines in the BIG Matrix made a little Matrix... well who knows how loooong the BIG Matrix has been around? and there you have a VERY ironic Matrix-in-a-Matrix..

i mean his waking up/there is no spoon in the little Matrix would give him an idea of the type of 'code' to make fake reality looks/feels like, so one would think he can still feel things in the BIG Matrix a.k.a. the real world and do super Matrix stuff...

or the last movie ends with it all being just a video game or a movie cos they didnt know how to end it LOL ;)

I don't know who started these matrix-within-matrix rumours, but they're most likely bullshit. The Architect scene was already enough of a mindfuck for me... All that happens at the end is Neo says he can 'feel' the Sentinels, and has the ability to stop them with his mind (or maybe some sort of personal EMP, though I doubt it since the EMP in the first movie was visible as a big wobbly wave effect). I think it's more likely this has something to do with Neo's 'merging' with Smith at the end of the first movie. Time will tell.

Lord FlatHead said:

The Architect scene was already enough of a mindfuck for me...

THATS WHY! my head hurt so much after the movie.. hehehe now i know how my g/f feels when i see after a few weeks apart ;) teehee

yeah i know the Matrix-in-a-Matrix would be kinda lame, and i cant wait to find out the truth... if anyone's played Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty you know, well you know how fucked a GREAT story (MGS) with mostly believable (or acceptable reality) can be twisted into a story too farfetched to suspend any sense of disbelief and want to just have it all be one big dream... err but anyway

*** little MGS:SOL spooler ***

the Fortune woman thought she was untouchable but at the end we find she's NOT like she thought and fate had nothing to do with it, it was just a little electric device... BUT then she diverted the missiles all on her own... meh it just pissed me off even more

Oh oh here's one:

Say the people of Zion DO succeed in overthrowing the machine overlords and freeing humanity from the shackles of the Matrix, what then?

SIX BILLION helpless people suddenly deprived of life support and flushed into the sewers.

Is Zion capable of reaching out to every single one of those people and saving them like Morpheus did with Neo? I think not.

In February, 19-year-old Josh Cooke (search), of Oakton, Va., bought a shotgun similar to the one used by Keanu Reeves’ character Neo, and shot his parents to death in their home.

Cooke's lawyers have said that he believed he was living inside the "Matrix," owned a trench coat similar to the one Reeves wears in the film and had a poster of him in his bedroom.

Can you say takings things too far? Fuck, it's a movie. The Matrix doesn't really exist, my God people. This guy was obviously already sick and twisted to begin with to actually believe he was inside The Matrix, which, as stated before, is fiction.

Linguica said:

CGI Neo was obvious on several occasions.

Yes, most notable him fighting the agent smiths and him flying for the first time.

gatewatcher said:

Yes, most notable him fighting the agent smiths and him flying for the first time.

I was gonna say I hope they didn't work computerized Neo too hard during those fight scenes :P I could catch the CG Neo everytime.

The Merovingian said:

As for the Zion part, I know lotsa people disliked it, but I think it was important to underline that human beings are made of flesh. Notice how everything revolves around being human there (especially the discussion between Neo and the counsellor).

Are they? Maybe Zion and the "real world" are just another manifestation of the Matrix? Wheels within wheels.

I should add there were a few clues to indicate this:

1) Zion had been destroyed six times already.
2) Agent Smith entering the "real world".
3) Neo reading the machine minds and destroying them.

Saw it yesterday and I'll give it a 2 for now (though it might climb up to a 3 later depending on how well it manages to bridge the story to the last movie).

Don't get me wrong, the special effects were neat as hell and some fighting scenes, though exaggeratedly long, were awesome (especially the one on the highway). But they don't compensate for cheesy dialog, mediocre direction and editing, the worst actor ever playing the lead (Keanu Reeves), a strained story (though that might change when the 3rd is out) and the embarrasingly pseudointellectual bursts of philosophy. Too many clichés.

Lots of eyecandy, and I love the entire Matrix concept, but the realization could've been a lot better (the same for the first movie, but it's still a fair bit better than this one).

I just got back from seeing it. About half way through the film I was convinced I wasn't liking it. There were far too many one liner cliché's going down between Neo and Trinity etc.

I agree with Ling, Agent Smith was poorly undershown. He's by far the most powerful character and his lack of dialogue was a disappointment. The best bit in the whole film was when Neo shoved him through that park bench and he growled "More!"

The second half of the film was much better and led to me giving it a 4 overall. There was nothing wrong with the special effects and there was even some real acting at stages. I wanted to pause it after The Architect was brought into it and sort it all out in my head, but I think watching it again will be helpful.

I just wish the dialogue had been a bit spicier at times. It seemed they had too many facts to get across, it was more like an informative video than a movie. I can see why people would be disapointed.

The problem in any trilogy is, having explained the magic in the first film, you usually have to just assume it in the second. This can make it sometimes seem a little bland. The second film usually struggles. It was of course rather blatant how the time was filled with fighting and complicated dialogue rather than that original Matrix magic. But that's unavoidable.

Bottom line: A good film that will survive repeated viewings and sets up the third.

hearing keanu reeves deliver the line '...i just love you too damn much' with such passion forces me to give this movie a score of 1000000000000000000000000.

Flathead: I don't know what that was, but Neo certainly didn't merge with Smith in The Matrix; even if he did that wouldn't probably be enough reason for his supernatural powers out of the Matrix. Anyway, I can't help but think Smith will turn out to be Neo's Smeágol or something.

BTW, am I the only person to have actually enjoyed the ending?

I saw this today. I'm surprised nobody has commented on the whole Cypher back-from-the-dead cliffhanger thing which had to be the worst, most cheesiest cliffhanger EVER.

The matrix-within-a-matrix theory seems like the most likely explanation for Neo being able to stop the squids. Remember what the councillor said in Zion about it being "just another level of control"? I think this is going to be the entire point - get the rebels to think that they've escaped, and let them live out their fantasies of overthrowing their rulers.

Having said this, it was almost worth seeing just for the special effects and the fight scenes.

And the keymaker was the coolest character ever.

Somehow, the biggest strength of the movie is its biggest weakness as well. Reminds me of Apocalypse Now a lot. At any rate, did everyone miss the underlining theme of the movie? One of perfection over fault, love and sacrifice? Neo's choice was between the destruction of the Matrix and then end of all human life or the continuation of life as it is under the rule of the Matrix. However, the choice was still Neo's. I think when the Architect said that Trinity couldn't be saved he was trying to get Neo to choose the continuation of life in the Matrix, though, he probably new it was hopeless because love would supercede logic. As Neo would be the first to defy the Arcitect and choose to have the Matrix be destroyed, presumably along with all of humanity, the Arcitect would not be able to be sure if Neo could actually save Trinity. When the agents persist on saying "Only Human", I think the logic behind that is that each "patch" of the Matrix had its own fundamental flaw, despite being the "one." Neo's biggest fault was his greatest strength. The ability to choose was definately there (from the first film), but he choose love. That is his biggest flaw, something that the architect had not intended. Each preceeding one had his own fundamental flaw, but each of them conformed to what was going to transpire according to the "scheme" of things.

So in other words, the Matrix within a matrix was there to ensure that there would be a "patch" amongst them to remove the "anamolies" in the system itself. Zion was there, only because it was "intended". Neo was intended to be there also, and in the end to make the choice to save Zion and not Trinity. However, he made that choice.

Yet another curve ball to keep you guys thinking EVEN more is the discussion b/w the Oracle and Neo. It would seem to suggest that Neo himself is a program. Why? Go figure.

I do agree with the notion that some scenes were overdone, unnecessary and even unclear. However, the story itself induced a lot of thought and appreciation of the film itself. Had some loopholes been eliminated, the film would have easily gotten a 5 and gained some public acceptance. Personally, I really really really loved the underlining theme of the movie and that made it for me, the first half was poor.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and thrown off track, but that is the beauty of abstract films, the ability to provoke thought. Sometimes, people don't appreciate that aspect of films.

fraggle said:

I saw this today. I'm surprised nobody has commented on the whole Cypher back-from-the-dead cliffhanger thing which had to be the worst, most cheesiest cliffhanger EVER.

That wasn't Cypher.

Lord FlatHead said:

That wasn't Cypher.

Uh, it certainly looked like him.. maybe I couldnt tell as he was upside down.

3. I was disappointed with this film. Although the Architect was and the fight scene in the chateau were quite superb, the rest of the film was laboured and tedious.

The film didn't hold my interest like the first, and many scenes were simply overdone and out of place, such as the fights. The ending was very poor, and probably only designed to suit some gimmicks in the next film. The film is not as clever as it thinks it is, and the constant Zionist theme was another factor that irritated me.