Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

Monster Death Triggers

Only in those same maps (and Doom2 map07, which you didn't mention).

BTW, I don't think map30 features such a trigger - the death of a boss brain ends the level, and it's not a map30 thing. The only special thing about map30 AFAIK is that monsters spawned by the boss brain can telefrag.

now that is something I didn't know... looks like time for me to play with some deh...

Ultimate DooMer said:

The only other death trigger is the Commander Keens, which opens a door when you kill them all (any map).

If you use DEH you can use the Keen-death code pointer for any monster you like! This works in most source ports, except Legacy which inexplicably changed this. Since it works on every map this might be really useful.

The hostages in twilight warrior used the romero head code, so the map ended when they died (though it just went to the next mission, in covert ops they used scripting so you have to start again if you fuck up)

deathbringer said:

The hostages in twilight warrior used the romero head code, so the map ended when they died (though it just went to the next mission, in covert ops they used scripting so you have to start again if you fuck up)

You can use this quite effectively if you place things on the right levels. If you use the Romero pointer on your shouldn't-be-killed hostages (or whatever), if one dies it triggers a normal exit and takes you to the next map. If you make the actual exit from the level a secret exit line, then activating it will take you to ExM9 or MAP31 or 32 as appropriate. Then all you have to do is make the next maps have a suitable scenario reflecting whether you rescued your hostages or not. I don't remember if Twilight Warrior did that or not, but I have used it for something in the past.

Of course, now that Zdoom (and other ports with scripting) are around, you can make virtually any combination of deaths take you to any map you want, or simply modify what will happen in the next map depending on your success on the previous one.

Heh, I guess you could even do something like increment a variable everytime a hostage, or target or whatever dies and have a different following scenario for every possible value of the variable.