Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

I just have to know....

Why in the world was that sky trick (if you don't know what I'm talking about, look around in Doom E1, it's there a lot, also check out map01 of Doom2, you'll know when you see it) never used in Heretic and Hexen? AFAIK, not one level in either game makes use of this particular trick. I never could figure that out, surely it wasn't that hard to do. I like using that particular trick myself a lot in my own levels, that way when you go outside you don't feel like you're stuck in a box.

It can be done just as easily as in Doom. However, the skies in Heretic and Hexen do not repeat vertically very well, and there is a bright line separating the bottom of the sky and the top of the next one. It's very ugly looking too.

Ichor said:

and there is a bright line separating the bottom of the sky and the top of the next one.

Wasn't it like that in Doom at some point? Either that or I remember it from Heretic, probably Heretic.

My guess is because if you get too high in a level you can see the sky repeating - and it looks messy. In Doom this was easy to control - you just make it so the player never gets to a point high enough to see the join. In Heretic and Hexen, this cannot be controlled because the player can fly.

Not only that, but you couldn't look up or down in Doom. In Heretic and Hexen you could. Also, skies in Doom don't have that bright line there, and it repeats itself almost as if it was a texture on a high wall.