Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
revenant_fister

Coolest/Funniest Doom Moments

What are the coolest or funniest moments you've had playing Doom? Multiplayer or single player, it doesn't matter.

Mine would have to be killing the cyberdemon on Doom 2 level 29: The Living End (on UV), by circling around him with the plasma gun at that bit at the top. I couldn't get mouse support back then, so I had to use the keys, too (using the 6 keys above the 3 keys above the arrow keys for strafe left/right and shoot- nice, eh). It's not particularly hard now, but back then, it was an achievement to do it for the first time. A legend of a level.

trying to beat doom 2 on nightmare in zdoom, and now trying to beat tnt in nightmare with jdoom, always fun:p funniest thing i've done would be walking into the room filled with knight on tricks and traps without bothering to get the invonrability (Btw i don't know any cheats, don't eva want to :) )

Yeppie my 1st post

Funniest moment would have to be destroying ABC (Anti-BFG Clan) members on ZDaemon and watching them disconnect after I kicked their ass.

The coolest however would definitely be during the times when the Texan deathtag servers were around on ZDaemon. I don't really need to say more.

Becoming an undead zombie with 0% health and running round like a headless chicken.

suprwep8.deh, nuts.wad and the BFG, and i still died XD, though a took a few (hundred) of those bastards with me!

Well, it's not Doom, but Heretic:
In E2M9, there's a way to telefrag yourself. Just go all the way up the glacier, then shove one of those magical pods into the teleport and walk in after it. Nine times out of ten you'll be telefragged. I found it strangely hilarious when it first happened to me.

Another, even funnier way to telefrag yourself is to shoot the powered up Firemace at a teleporter, making sure it's moving slowly so you can beat it there. Go through the teleporter and wait. One of two things will happen. Either you will be turned into a sloppy smudge on the floor, or if you have a Chaos Device, you'll end up using one to teleport to the start of the map and have half of your health removed (even if you have 1 health left).

Ichor said:

I forgot how to do that.

Throw an egg at a manikin. (I was messing around at the time and typed 'gimme h' by accident instead of 'gimme g', and I did it so fast I'd fired it before I realised I'd got an egg instead of a bomb...)

Was playing Tricks and Traps waaay back in the early days, and the cyber had pinned me in a corner. I ran out of rockets, but I had invulnerability so I just bashed away with the side by side. I swear to this day, the very last shot occurred at the exact moment it ran out, and that exact shot killed the cyber exactly between rocket blasts.

I had a great moment playing a Half-Life SP mod called Edge of Darkness. I walked into this control room. I heard a toilet flush so I stood next to the only other door in the room and brained the soldier who came out with the crowbar.

"Hmm, soldiers normally drop machine guns to pick up, not grenades too."

A second later I realised what'd happened and hauled ass out the door. I got away with only a few % health lost instead of almost certain death. It was a rush but it was also funny as hell cause it was so like in action movies where everyone looks at each other with horror as they realise they're waaay too intimate with a grenade and then run for it.

Getting a room of monsters to fight each other in some levels...
Killing all your team mates in a coop-game and then say oops...

Way back when there wasn't a single source port and deathmatch/coop was played with the telephone, my dad and his brother would set up a game for some coop butt kicking. Week after week they would tear though level after level leaving nothing behind to tell the tale of what occured. After finishing all of the official wads, they started to take bites out of wad cd's (1000 wads o crap, deathmatch cd's. D Zone, ect.). All was good until one day...

*the scene is set, my dad finished off the last monster while his brother poked the final wall and walked over*
Brother: Well, I've pushed every wall in the level, there is no way out.
My dad pondered: Yeah, I got every enemy there is. Nothing new opened.
*there was a long silence*
Brother: So, um, what now?
*my dad didn't answer, and for a few seconds the two sprited stared into each other. Sunndenly my dad seems to sence an evil look in his brothers... pixels. He dodges just as his brother fired off a wicked rocket which promptly exploded against the far wall. It was on. After the two chased each other around, using up all the ammo the level would offer (which was quite a lot considering the sparce enemys they had faced in the level) and even resorting to punching each other to death, they finally stoped and regrouped*
Brother: Ok, lets just quit and try another wad. This one has to be bugged.
*before my dad could agree and end the game, I asked him a question*
Me: Um, isn't that an arrow you're standing on?
*my dad checks the map and sure enough, there's an arrow pointing to a wall. He gets his brother to open it up and saw the exit right in front of them. They sheepishly chuckled, considering the arrow was blantently obvious, as well as the exit sign hanging right over the 'wall'. So they both walk into the exit, only to watch as they were both teleported into each other (my dad telefraged his own brother) and right in front of a hoard of monsters blocking the REAL exit...
...and only pistols to kill them with.*

One of my favorite RL Doom stories. They actually did manage to get beat that level, although they didn't get the 100% kills that they usually did. ;)

Oh yeah, and a really funny one was when my mother took over for my dad in one coop game and while he was in the washroom, she shot and killed his brother in the back. So my dad comes back and takes over and his brother is like 'WTF!?' and shoots him in the back with a bfg, thinking he did it (we didn't tell him my mother took over for my dad ;). =D

I think that E1M8, was cool, because I had never seen the Barons before, and it was shareware, so they were like "the bosses". Now they're so much more common, it's not even adrenaline pumping anymore.

I agree. E1M8, with its completely different style, its music, and the Barons of Hell, was simply fucking awesome. No other way to describe it. Shame how Barons of Hell aren't really even remotely cool anyomre . . .

Grimm said:

Shame how Barons of Hell aren't really even remotely cool anyomre . . .

Heresy!

DC

Grimm said:

Lies make baby demons cry! ;_;

Grimm said:

Every time you speak such heresy, God kills a space marine.

Grimm said:

Depends on how theyre used. Some wads toss them around like confetti. Others force you to fight them in tight quarters with only a shotgun. Those wads rule.

I dont remember what wad i was playing, but I was once taking on a cyberdemon with very little ammo. My last pistol shot killed him. That was awesome.

Funniest doom moment ? Sneaking a look around a corner to see a squad of easily fragged heavy weapon dudes standing about waiting for me to blast them with my rocket launcher. Guess what ? strafed left "ha ha ! eat this " not enough clearance, red screen , dead. Arse. Try again.

revenant_fister said:

What are the coolest or funniest moments you've had playing Doom? Multiplayer or single player, it doesn't matter.

Mine would have to be killing the cyberdemon on Doom 2 level 29: The Living End (on UV), by circling around him with the plasma gun at that bit at the top. I couldn't get mouse support back then, so I had to use the keys, too (using the 6 keys above the 3 keys above the arrow keys for strafe left/right and shoot- nice, eh). It's not particularly hard now, but back then, it was an achievement to do it for the first time. A legend of a level.

Speaking of using the mouse, is there any way to get the mouse to work on xp?

EDIT: nm i got it fixed