memento mori vs hell revealed

which is better?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. which is better?

• Memento mori
    • Hell revealed
    • both suck
    • both rule

Was thinking about which wad people consider better in general of these 2 classics.

HR for the hardness and insane number of monsters...
MM is good too, but I general like MM2 better.

For me, Memento Mori, no contest. I've never been fond of "ridiculous amounts of enemies" megawads - it's more of an annoyance than a challenge to me. That's why I seem to be the only person that doesn't like Alien Vendetta (though some of its levels were very attractive).

Hell Revealed because unlike all the other mediocre megawads, it's at least original in its gameplay.

heh, hell revealed was pretty amateur in terms of level design (i mean, look at this, it could have been generated with slige). and was i the only one who noticed the gazillion texture misalignments and (roofles) improperly made exit doors? seems to me they just wanted to come up with a bunch of crappy maps they could fill with monsters and have a challenge playing.

memento mori was a little better, and when i say little, i mean a little. it was highly inconsistent and some of themes just generally sucked. some of the music in it was good, and some of it was just downright miserable. it hardly seemed to me that the team knew just what in hell they were doing in relation to one another.

Hell Revealed - great, challenging gameplay and great music, too.
Memento Mori - good gameplay and some great maps but a lot of average ones, some great tunes but a lot of average ones (and MM2 is worse IMO).

So Hell Revealed wins by quite a margin, really.

sargebaldy said:

memento mori was a little better, and when i say little, i mean a little.

Looking at your reviews, I'd say it was the other way round.

Ultimate DooMer said:

Looking at your reviews, I'd say it was the other way round.

heh, that's because those ratings are based on the average scores of the maps, not the set as a whole. hell revealed had a few good maps to balance out the really bad ones but that just means it was a more inconsistent set. now i come up with a new number from scratch :P

Hell Revealed is a piece of crap, as is every other WAD with such over-infestation of monsters. Memento Mori is average, some maps are excellent but unfortunately the whole thing is too uneven as there are too many mediocre or even bad maps in there. Having to choose between crap and slightly below mediocre I still choose mediocre so Memento Mori wins. Still no comparison to Strain, the best Megawad IMHO.

interesting, I always assumed that hr was either love it or hate it, while mm would appeal in some way to most players. Guess I was right pretty much.

Graf Zahl said:

Still no comparison to Strain, the best Megawad IMHO.

Heh, IMHO Strain is a great big pile of steaming pants. Besides, it's a Partial Conversion, not a megawad, so there =P

Anyways, I believe MM2 was the first 32 level megawad I ever played (I played Eternal first, but it wasn't 32 levels then), so I have fond memories over both it and MM1 (which I play soon afterwards).

If you compare both of them only with everything else that was available at the time and not what's been released since, they're both f**king awesome :)

I regard HR as clearly the greatest megawad ever, which makes my choice here pretty straightforward. MM is nice though.

STRAIN is one of my favourites too. I'd say it's a PC and a megawad - at least, it would be an odd definition of megawad that excluded it.

speaking of great megawads, nanami and i just finished cooping scythe :) that last map was INSANE yet well designed, which is exactly what you want in a map for coop :) at one point tons of revs and barons stormed the that area right outside the start and we had to wait around for them to kill each other. i wish you'd have stuck the 2bs in that start passageway though =P

and you really should have beta-tested that better erik, i found at least one texture misalignment in nearly every map =P but i had really fun time with it :)

The difference of course is that HR was designed by a PLAYER for gameplay. Map19, for example, gives the player everything at the start, but you don't ever get any more ammo or health for the rest of the map -- that makes it a unique challenge. HR rules.
MM1 is and always shall be the measuring stick by which all megawads are judged. MM2 and Requiem wouldn't have been nearly as good without MM1 coming first.
Strain's gameplay is abysmal.

Sarge when are WE going to coop? HMM?

Anyway I'm not sure why people have suddenly started to diss these wads. They are both classics and although people may be doing more with doom now than when they were made they're still both benchmarks to get past.

sargebaldy said:

speaking of great megawads, nanami and i just finished cooping scythe :) that last map was INSANE yet well designed, which is exactly what you want in a map for coop :) at one point tons of revs and barons stormed the that area right outside the start and we had to wait around for them to kill each other. i wish you'd have stuck the 2bs in that start passageway though =P

and you really should have beta-tested that better erik, i found at least one texture misalignment in nearly every map =P but i had really fun time with it :)

yes, I regret I didn't put the ssg there too, me, espi and torn found that out the hard way in coop.

About the misalignments, it was kind of a priority question for me as I was running out of inspiration near the end, so it was a matter of making map29 and 30 large and cool or fix the remaining misalignments pretty much, I choose the former.

Thanks for liking the wad anyway.

Both those wads have been in IDE for a week, and they're either over-lagged or simply not working. It annoys the hell out of me!

I've gone through MM 1&2 a few times and I've never gotten around to playing HR yet. So Memento Mori stands as the better out of the two, for me.

It's tough to compare. MM had some great gameplay, and looked pretty much of the time. HRs maps may be insane, but there's a method to the madness. Lots of solid gameplay there too.

I guess it's MM for me though. I've played through it a couple of times now. And I probably will again. HR I wont be touching for a long time.

Sidenote: scythe was one of the best wads I've played in a long time. Maybe one of the best ever. Great job Erik :)

Ct_red_pants said:

I get the feeling that the day I finish hell revealed will be the day I delete Doom II from my computer. Forever.

Hell Revealed II is coming along in a mere shadow.......

I dont think the memento mori fanfic has anything to do with the wad XD, wlel lets see, i never was able to download MM, and i gave up on hell revealed after dying for the 6666th time on map 3 or something, maybe i shouldnt have chosen UV XD

I've played all three... I enjoyed them all for different reasons.

I guess for me, I'd have to say MM, but probably for different reasons.

1. Music. Not many people know this, but the music is what drew me in deep to MM. How many music projects can you find of mine dated pre-MM? NONE. Klem's work in MM is what drew me in to making music for Doom. I had no idea you could do GREAT music for a project and add value to it. I got on the horn to Klem and just made a fool of myself telling him what I thought of his music, both aesthetically, and also technically. I was a Mark Klem fan boy. The rest is history. I had never done any General MIDI work at all. I had a recording studio but never thought to use my computer to make music.

2. Textures. The textures in MM were of a quality I had never seen before. Both fresh, colorful, yet appropriate. The floor tiles were great, the walls were great, the patches were great.

3. Unique design. Everyone likes different types of maps. True, not all the MM maps were technical marvels, but the majority were just fantastic. My favorite is map 15. Just huge structures, great end battle, it was awesome.

4. Presentation. The info pack, etc. You knew that they spent a lot of time organizing, and they did it right. The whole distribution package was fantastic.

Just my 2¢.

Some of my best friends <wg> like HR, and I hate to step on their toes but despite all my efforts to "get into it", I could never understand HR. It just makes no sense to me.

Like Torn, I too thought that Memento Mori was a better megawad than the original.

The Ultimate DooMer said:
Hell Revealed - great, challenging gameplay and great music, too.

Heh, threads like this just go to show that arguing about tastes is senseless.
I, for one, though that the music was the worst part of HR.

Since Memento Mori's music (1 and 2)is a separate file, have you thought about using the music in Hell Revealed (doom2 -file hr.wad mm2.wad)?